It is currently 05/11/24 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
PostPosted: 12/24/21 7:29 am • # 1 
Editorialist

A tracking device made by Apple is showing up in suspected crimes
AirTags, not the first tracking tool to become the source of concern about their use for nefarious purposes, have been linked to stalking and car thefts.

David Ingram

On Friday night, a woman in an East Coast city left a bar, drove away and soon began receiving alerts on her phone.

“AirTag Found Moving With You,” a notification on her iPhone said. “The location of this AirTag can be seen by the owner.”

Alarmed that someone could be following her, she began checking her purse, coat pockets and wallet in search of an AirTag, a tracking device made by Apple that went on sale this year. But she couldn’t find anything.

“I didn’t want to go home, so I spent the night somewhere and just said I’d figure it out in the morning,” she wrote later on her Twitter account, which she has since made private.

The next day, she had someone check her car, and they found an AirTag attached inside a wheel well.

“It bothers me cause no matter how *safe* women try to be (I was NEVER alone, parked somewhere well lit, etc...) it doesn’t matter if someone truly wishes to harm you,” she wrote.

In a follow-up message to NBC News, she said she now suspects someone was trying to steal her car because she wasn’t parked close enough to the bar for someone to associate her with the vehicle. She said she reported the incident to law enforcement but didn’t know if they would investigate. Her friend threw away the tracker, she said.

NBC News has not ....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/apple-airt ... s-rcna9416

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply