It is currently 04/28/24 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
PostPosted: 01/27/22 6:07 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Sad

One-third of Canadian, American students think Holocaust was fabricated: study

By Caryn Lieberman

Around a third of Canadian and American students question whether the Holocaust actually happened, according to a study commissioned by Canadian charity Liberation75.

More than 3,000 students in grades 6 to 12 were surveyed before a two-day virtual conference focused on Holocaust education, and then again after the event, to assess what they know and think about the Holocaust and antisemitism.

“One in three of our respondents stated that they believed that the Holocaust was fabricated or not reported in a way that was accurate to what actually happened,” said Alex Lerner, researcher and assistant professor of political science at the U.S. Naval Academy.

“Of those students that responded, we also found that students weren’t getting information consistently in the classroom, so they were looking elsewhere for that information. Forty per cent were looking at social media, TikTok and Instagram.”

Lerner recalled how some students who were surveyed talked about first encountering the idea of a Nazi from “Marvel Comics, Captain America.”

“The issue is that they don’t have the base of information from the classroom that they’re able to use to ...

https://globalnews.ca/news/8539509/cana ... fabricated

My son's high school did a European tour when he was in Grade 12. Among other things they got to see many historic sights but when they visited the concentration camps the teacher running the tour simply said "Nobody ate lunch that day".

But two other occurrences come to mind - when I lived in Toronto it was in a middle class Jewish neighborhood. The sort of place where the staff in nearby nursing homes had to wear track shoes because many of the residents were suffering from dementia and the sound of hard soled shoes in the hallways brought back memories that left them in hysterics.

And I still remember the first time I saw someone wearing a short sleeve blouse with a number tattooed on her arm.

The second was watching a documentary on the concentration camps and the lineups for the gas chambers. Pretty depressing but when I came into the office the next morning one of my coworkers grabbed me to tell me about what had happened during that show.

It was a time of year when windows were open and he suddenly heard a horrendous scream coming from his next door neighbor's. He and a couple of other neighbors ran over to see what had happened. Seems that the neighbor was a holocaust survivor but had no idea what had happened to her sister. Until she saw the lineup for the gas chamber. Now she knows.

Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ] New Topic Add Reply