It is currently 04/28/24 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 101 posts ]
 Post subject: Roe v Wade
PostPosted: 05/03/22 12:33 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

If the leaked opinion is true the Supremes look to be about to overturn Roe v Wade, a ruling that has stood for half a century. And (at least) 21 state governments have passed laws that will immediately make ALL abortions illegal. Not only does that include cases of rape and incest but it includes things like ectopic pregnancies (a condition that is guaranteed to kill the woman). And it includes fetuses that are severely malformed (including things like no brain stem). And a woman whose fetus had died will still be forced to carry it to term even tho it's already dead.

But remember this:

Post subject: Re: Roe v Wade
PostPosted: 05/03/22 1:13 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Why is this a surprise to anybody?

PostPosted: 05/03/22 1:19 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

This is not a surprise. The unintended consequences to follow will be the surprise.

PostPosted: 05/03/22 1:54 pm • # 4 
Administrator

queenoftheuniverse wrote:
This is not a surprise. The unintended consequences to follow will be the surprise.

Doubt it. It's among the many reasons they were picked by Trump.

PostPosted: 05/03/22 5:12 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
queenoftheuniverse wrote:

Doubt it. It's among the many reasons they were picked by Trump.

And it's probably the main reason that many evangelicals voted for Trump. Despite his past (multiple marriages, cheating on all his wives, and so forth) many of them voted for him because they figured he'd give them the Supreme Court. And he did (with more than a little help from McConnell).

PostPosted: 05/03/22 6:01 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

George Carlin perfectly summed up conservatives years ago

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrat ... 419754630/

PostPosted: 05/03/22 7:29 pm • # 7 
Administrator

Quote:
And it's probably the main reason that many evangelicals voted for Trump. Despite his past (multiple marriages, cheating on all his wives, and so forth) many of them voted for him because they figured he'd give them the Supreme Court. And he did (with more than a little help from McConnell).

If course. SCOTUS is no longer a court of "law" but a toy of the political parties.

PostPosted: 05/03/22 7:41 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

From my FB feed

I'm not pro-murdering babies.

I'm pro-Becky who found out at her 20 week anatomy scan that the infant she had been so excited to bring into this world had developed without life sustaining organs.

I'm pro-Susan who was sexually assaulted on her way home from work, only to come to the horrific realization that her assailant planted his seed in her when she got a positive pregnancy test result a month later.

I'm pro-Theresa who hemorrhaged due to a placental abruption, causing her parents, spouse, and children to have to make the impossible decision on whether to save her or her unborn child.

I'm pro-little Cathy who had her innocence ripped away from her by someone she should have been able to trust and her 11 year old body isn't mature enough to bear the consequence of that betrayal.

I'm pro-Melissa who's working two jobs just to make ends meet and has to choose between bringing another child into poverty or feeding the children she already has because her spouse walked out on her.

I'm pro-Brittany who realizes that she is in no way financially, emotionally, or physically able to raise a child.

I'm pro-Emily who went through IVF, ending up with SIX viable implanted eggs requiring selective reduction in order to ensure the safety of her and a SAFE amount of fetuses.

I'm pro-Christina who doesn't want to be a mother, but birth control methods sometimes fail.

I'm pro-Jessica who is FINALLY getting the strength to get away from her physically abusive spouse only to find out that she is carrying the monster's child.

I'm pro-Vanessa who went into her confirmation appointment after YEARS of trying to conceive only to hear silence where there should be a heartbeat.

I'm pro-Lindsay who lost her virginity in her sophomore year with a broken condom and now has to choose whether to be a teenage mom or just a teenager.

I'm pro-Courtney who just found out she's already 13 weeks along, but the egg never made it out of her fallopian tube so either she terminates the pregnancy or risks dying from internal bleeding.

You can argue and say that I'm pro-choice all you want, but the truth is:

I'm pro-life.

Their lives.

Women's lives.

You don't get to pick and choose which scenarios should be accepted.

Women's rights are meant to protect ALL women, regardless of their situation!

#roevwade #prochoice #abortion #women #womensrights #mybody #mychoice #mybodymychoice

PostPosted: 05/04/22 7:29 am • # 9 
Editorialist

If anyone is interested, here is a response to the above.

https://catholic-link.org/im-not-pro-murdering-babies-a-catholic-response-and-resources/

They write, "The course of treatment would likely be a partial tubal ligation. The outcome of this would be a 50% loss in overall fertility and will result in the death of the baby. However, this is not an abortion. The medical procedure has the primary intention of removing the fallopian tube to preempt the very serious rupture and internal bleeding. The secondary, foreseen but unintended effect, is the death of the baby. This is tragic, but it is not an abortion. Abortion is the direct and intentional killing of a baby, in the womb."

It seems they are saying that as long as the fetus has potential, which they call a "human person from the first moment of conception", then nothing should be done that ends it, no matter the result for the woman.

PostPosted: 05/04/22 7:34 am • # 10 
Editorialist

This makes it clear that they're coming for Obergefell v. Hodges and we've seen GOP politicians elsewhere state that interracial marriage should be left up to the states.

Samuel Alito's leaked anti-abortion decision: Supreme Court doesn't plan to stop at Roe
Alito sneers at rights after "the latter part of the 20th century" — inviting the reversal of 70 years of progress

By AMANDA MARCOTTE

It's fitting that, if the Supreme Court is going to overturn Roe v. Wade, they'd have the justice with the most incel-esque affect be the one to write the opinion. Samuel Alito has always been the conservative on the court who was least able to conceal the right-wing resentment that fuels him, glowering his way through President Barack Obama's State of the Union addresses and generally being a whiner on the level of Donald Trump. Clarence Thomas might be the most unhinged member of the court, Amy Coney Barret the most uncanny, and Brett Kavanaugh the best at spittle-flecked public meltdowns. But if I had to bet money on who is most likely to spend their nights on sleazy internet forums, whining that feminism has "ruined" women, it would 100% be on the court's creepiest member, Alito.

Late Monday night, Politico leaked a draft of the Supreme Court opinion, written by Alito, that would, without reservation, overturn Roe and allow states to ban abortion outright. (Which they are already doing.) Though heavy with legal-ese, Alito's misogyny shines through like a deplorable beacon. His contempt for the very idea that women are rights-bearing people is not hard to discern, even as he claims to hold no ill will towards them. Sewn throughout this decision is a deep, abiding belief that women simply aren't people in any meaningful sense. Women's lives, ambitions, pain, joys, and autonomy have absolutely no value he can discern. Instead, he treats women as ....

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/03/samuel ... op-at-roe/

PostPosted: 05/04/22 8:07 am • # 11 
Editorialist

Posting problems

PostPosted: 05/04/22 8:35 am • # 12 
Administrator

Maybe women in the US should go on strike. That includes no nookie, since there's a "risk of pregnancy".

PostPosted: 05/04/22 11:02 am • # 13 
Editorialist

John59 wrote:
If anyone is interested, here is a response to the above.

https://catholic-link.org/im-not-pro-murdering-babies-a-catholic-response-and-resources/

They write, "The course of treatment would likely be a partial tubal ligation. The outcome of this would be a 50% loss in overall fertility and will result in the death of the baby. However, this is not an abortion. The medical procedure has the primary intention of removing the fallopian tube to preempt the very serious rupture and internal bleeding. The secondary, foreseen but unintended effect, is the death of the baby. This is tragic, but it is not an abortion. Abortion is the direct and intentional killing of a baby, in the womb."

It seems they are saying that as long as the fetus has potential, which they call a "human person from the first moment of conception", then nothing should be done that ends it, no matter the result for the woman.

Catholic charities is infamous for its adoption mills in the 70s and 80s. They ran homes for unwed mothers that required women to give up the babies for adoption in exchange for services. There was no backing out- if a woman tried to change her mind they would surround her and badger her into staying at the home for unwed mothers. The babies were whisked away at birth and the mothers never got see or hold the baby before they were signing the papers giving up their parental rights. Many of the women at my local facility were teens who were not mature enough to understand their rights or the implications of surrender on their future mental health.

On the other side, I have made my living dealing in human misery for forty years and I am amazed by the proportion of adoptees in the populations I have served. So much poverty, addiction, and crime

PostPosted: 05/04/22 3:07 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

It's not just the three in the opening post. It's all the Republican judges going back to Justice Roberts. Outright lying during their confirmation hearings should be grounds for impeachment. We all know the Trump dominated Senate would never give the sixty percent necessary to remove them but the impeachment by the House, itself, might be enough to make them think twice about moving forward.

PostPosted: 05/04/22 3:07 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

It's not just the three in the opening post. It's all the Republican judges going back to Justice Roberts. Outright lying during their confirmation hearings should be grounds for impeachment. We all know the Trump dominated Senate would never give the sixty percent necessary to remove them but the impeachment by the House, itself, might be enough to make them think twice about moving forward.

PostPosted: 05/04/22 3:52 pm • # 16 
Administrator

SCOTUS~ The USian Aytollahs.

PostPosted: 05/05/22 4:07 am • # 17 
Editorialist

Still can't post this https://tinyurl.com/32dpah5s

PostPosted: 05/05/22 6:02 am • # 18 
Editorialist

Canada has made it clear that women are welcome to come for abortions. They are making sure that border agents understand this too. It's a strange sort of tourism. How sad for those who cannot afford it. The cost for a passport, travel et al will be prohibitive for so many. Hopefully there will be some sort of organization that will help will all of that.

PostPosted: 05/05/22 8:44 am • # 19 
Editorialist

Puerto Rico used to be where the well off went, before roe.

PostPosted: 05/05/22 12:21 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
Canada has made it clear that women are welcome to come for abortions. They are making sure that border agents understand this too. It's a strange sort of tourism. How sad for those who cannot afford it. The cost for a passport, travel et al will be prohibitive for so many. Hopefully there will be some sort of organization that will help will all of that.

At least some of those abortion bans provide severe penalties for anyone that leaves the state to obtain an abortion. And I believe that some include penalties for any doctors who refer patients out of state.

PostPosted: 05/05/22 6:43 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

PostPosted: 05/06/22 8:32 am • # 22 
Editorialist

They're busy barricading the Supreme Court

Apparently they're afraid of people with signs.

PostPosted: 05/06/22 8:42 am • # 23 
Editorialist

Afraid of women

PostPosted: 05/06/22 10:50 am • # 24 
Editorialist

Quote:
Because OF COURSE it's happening. The dark ages are upon us. Birth control (for WOMEN only, natch, because we're the fucking incubators) is considered murder. And let's go down this ridiculous road: IUD = murder. So...that's a felony, and you can't vote. So now women can't vote.

Just to be clear, I'm too old to have kids but my GYN suggested I get an IUD to regulate my periods so I don't die of cancer. My coworker has one so she doesn't die due to some complicated fibroid related bullshit she's had to deal with since she was 11. ELEVEN. And regardless: YOU DON'T NEED A SOB STORY TO DESERVE ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE. Birth control and abortions are health care.

PostPosted: 05/06/22 1:29 pm • # 25 
Administrator

Are these states in a competition for "stupidest state"?

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 1 of 5   [ 101 posts ] New Topic Add Reply