Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 83 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/13/22 12:54 pm • # 26 
Editorialist

When words come back to haunt you

https://twitter.com/petestrzok/status/1 ... 1623712769

PostPosted: 08/14/22 9:07 am • # 27 
Editorialist

Don't want to start a new thread but this does fit here

The Trumpists Have Finally Shown Us How Insane, Violent, and Idiotic They Really Are
The Trumpists’ Violent Tantrum Tells Us Exactly What They’d Do If They Ever Regained Power

umair haque

The Trumpists. Ah, Christ. The Trumpists. Do you remember the world before these idiots, lunatics, fascists, and morons invaded decided what we all really needed was a rerun of the 1930s, only with MAGA baseball hats? It wasn’t perfect, but still. It was OK. It’s like remembering the world before Covid. Hard to do, anymore.

I know. You know. But this time? We’ve reached the end of a certain thing. The Trumpists have shown us who they really are. It’s true that they’ve been showing us, all along. They’d lift their veil, and beneath it, you’d catch a glimpse of a corpse’s face, crawling with maggots. They’d take off those idiot MAGA caps, and there, right there, where a brain should have been, and a skull around it, you’d just see a black hole, covered in pus, pulsating with hate.

But now? It’s different. They’ve finally taken it all off. They’re standing there naked. Now there’s no doubt. This is who they really really are.

What do I mean by all this? Well, consider the events of the last few days.

The FBI raided “Mar a Lago,” Orange Hitler’s fancifully named tacky dictator’s Potemkin mansion. And in response, the entire Trump-o-sphere lit up like it was the inverse Fourth of July.

Instead of saying things that might be, I don’t know, vaguely normal in a democracy, the Trumpists finally took off the veil altogether. They just threw all the garb of even attempting to hew to democracy’s or modernity’s ideals anymore, in a giant explosive baby tantrum of sadistic brutality.

Let’s go through a few of the choice things they said. They threatened civil war. They threatened the FBI. They issued proclamations of open, outright violence. Mass violence, aimed at…what, precisely? The everyday exercise of justice, which of course is one of democracy’s fundamental not just abstract values, but commonplace processes.

One called it “a perversion of justice.” Another, a “preemptive coup.” The insanity ranged from “[This] is the rogue behavior of communist countries, NOT the United States of America!!!” to “Failure is not an option. We must destroy the FBI.”

A Trump supporter who posted often on Trump’s social network TruthSocial attempted to shoot up an FBI branch, after posting on the social network, “If you don’t hear from me, it is true I tried attacking the F.B.I.”

The Trumpists could have waited. They could have shown some restraint, some humility, some moderation, wiser counsel could have prevailed. But that was a stretch, because of course a zombie is hardly going to sit there and take the GRE. They are who they are, and now we know who they really really are.

Let me assure you that as a scholar and survivor of social collapse it’s profoundly, totally, off-the-charts abnormal for people to react like the Trumpists did. Nobody in a democracy is above the law. Not just “not even” a former head of state, but especially not. Civil servants in the highest offices must follow the law scrupulously, because of course they have all the more cause and power to break it, should they so choose.

And Trump’s behavior was hardly, well, above reproach. Let’s take a moment to — shudder — remember the Trump years. The pattern? An escalating sequence of abuses of power. The Trumpists might not want to admit it, but, for example, the very first year Trump was in power, Stern, one of Germany’s major magazines, published an issue with him doing a Hitler salute on the cover. The entire world knew that the word “Trump” was synonymous with “abuse of power,” from the ridiculous, like appointing his son-in-law and daughter, people with zero experience in governance, as “special advisors,” — to the grotesque, like “family separations,” which the last Nuremberg Prosecutor warned were literal crimes against humanity, fascist level.

The pattern, in other words was clear. The FBI raid, therefore, was hardly some kind of bolt from the blue. It came, after all, on the heels of numerous investigations, from the January 6th Committee’s to New York State’s. American democracy was trying to find some accountability for those long four years of shocking, flagrant abuses of power. To put that another way, if there hadn’t been a raid on a former President like Trump, that would have been more shocking in a modern democracy. That there was one was a signal American democracy’s heart was still beating.

Now let’s come to the raison d’être for the raid. It’s hard to know whether to laugh or to cry. The FBI searched Trump’s tacky estate…looking for…nuclear secrets. Pause for a moment to take that in, because it implies the FBI thinks that a former President stole nuclear secrets from the White House.

This is the erstwhile stuff of Hollywood thrillers and paranoid 1970s spy novels, and yet…here we are. A former American President is under a cloud of suspicion for possibly having stolen top secret nuclear documents. LOL — like I said. Laugh or cry?

It hardly takes a genius to instantly connect the dots here, because they’re the size of Jupiter and blinking bright red. Who helped put Trump in power? Russia did, with numerous military intelligence operations, as we know now. Everything from hacking Hillary’s emails — which the FBI fell for, leaving James Comey an international laughingstock and a name disgraced within America — to operations as of yet still uncovered. Russia’s head of state — another crazy dictator — has long been suspected of ...

https://eand.co/the-trumpists-have-fina ... 372712096e

PostPosted: 08/14/22 11:12 am • # 28 
Editorialist

Troye: I found classified documents in the ladies room

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1558832 ... fsrc=email

PostPosted: 08/14/22 1:11 pm • # 29 
Editorialist

Another suicide because the Mango One wasn't allowed to keep the documents he illegally removed from the White House

Man Dies by Suicide After Ramming Car Into Barricade Near U.S. Capitol
The man exited the car and fired several shots into the air before shooting himself, said the police, who are investigating his motives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/14/us/c ... crash.html

PostPosted: 08/14/22 1:47 pm • # 30 
Administrator

Quote:
said the police, who are investigating his motives.

Unhinged works for me.

PostPosted: 08/15/22 5:58 am • # 31 
Editorialist

The clues are everywhere

PostPosted: 08/16/22 8:49 am • # 32 
Editorialist

His excuses just keep getting crazier

PostPosted: 08/17/22 9:44 am • # 33 
Editorialist

Quote:
Man Taken Into Custody and Charged After Allegedly Making Death Threats Against FBI Following Mar-a-Lago Raid

https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.c ... lago-raid/

Quote:
‘It’s Not Theirs, It’s Mine’ Trump Told Aides About White House Records Including Classified Documents: NYT

https://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.c ... ments-nyt/

PostPosted: 08/17/22 12:22 pm • # 34 
Editorialist

His problems go far beyond the Presidential records probe (aka the Mar-a-Lago raid)

“Everyone's saying no”: Trump hires Florida insurance lawyer as top attorneys refuse to work for him
Another Trump lawyer is a former OAN anchor who pushed election conspiracy theories that got the network sued

https://www.salon.com/2022/08/17/everyo ... k-for-him/

PostPosted: 08/17/22 6:08 pm • # 35 
Editorialist

No question. He's gotta change his meds ...

Donald Trump Jr. has meltdown discussing Mar-a-Lago search

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politi ... story.html

PostPosted: 08/18/22 4:05 am • # 36 
Editorialist

Interesting question - what else was in those files (and is the scope of the warrant wide enough to allow the authorities to use that material as evidence)? That said, how much of this is true and how much is just idle speculation?

https://twitter.com/tomiahonen/status/1 ... lNNAA&s=19

PostPosted: 08/18/22 5:04 am • # 37 
Administrator

Blackmail hadn't occurred to me. Interesting point.

PostPosted: 08/18/22 4:06 pm • # 38 
Editorialist

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=2891534844488899

PostPosted: 08/22/22 6:45 am • # 39 
Editorialist

Michael Cohen suggests Trump is looking to blackmail the DOJ
Speaking of Trump's access to sensitive information, Cohen says "He's gonna use it as a get out of jail free card"

TOM BOGGIONI

Appearing on MSNBC on Sunday morning, former Donald Trump lawyer Michael Cohen said he wouldn't put it past the former president to threaten to reveal secrets to foreign powers if the Department of Justice tries to indict him.

Speaking with fill-in host Michael Steele on "The Sunday Show," Cohen was asked why he thinks Trump hauled classified documents to Mar-a-Lago with him after he lost the 2020 presidential election.

"Based on everything you know about him, why do you think he wanted to keep those top secret documents at Mar-a-Lago," host Steele asked.

"He's gonna use it as a get out of jail free card," Cohen immediately shot back. "It's a way to extort America turn around to say if you put me in jail, if you go after me -- he'll even say his children -- I will have my loyal supporters who you do not know who has copies of information that may have been, and again this is my conjecture, that I would take those documents, I will release them to Iran, to China, to North Korea, to Russia.

"You want to take me down, I'll take the whole country down," he added.

"Remember, and I've said this with you 1000 times, Mike, Donald Trump doesn't care about this country," he continued. "He doesn't care about anyone or anything other than himself."

Watch below:

https://www.salon.com/2022/08/22/michae ... j_partner/

PostPosted: 08/22/22 7:48 am • # 40 
Administrator

If Trump did as Cohen suggests he'd definitely be charged with treason.

PostPosted: 08/22/22 9:56 am • # 41 
Editorialist

oskar576 wrote:
If Trump did as Cohen suggests he'd definitely be charged with treason.

True - but if Cohen is correct, Trump simply hopes that the mere threat will stop the DOJ from indicting him.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 12:10 pm • # 42 
Editorialist

No question he's getting desperate ....

Trump Files Suit to Block FBI From Reviewing Mar-a-Lago Stash

Former President Donald Trump asked a Florida court to appoint a “special master” to review the documents collected in the Aug. 8 search of Mar-a-Lago. Granting the FBI unfettered access to the stash would be a breach of his Fourth Amendment rights, Trump’s lawyers argued. The 21-page motion alleges that “DOJ simply wanted the camel’s nose under the tent so they could rummage for either politically helpful documents or support other efforts to thwart President Trump from running again.” Hours later it emerged that the FBI has retrieved more than 300 classified documents from Trump since he left office.

==========================================

Trump Had More Than 300 Classified Documents at Mar-a-Lago
The National Archives found more than 150 sensitive documents when it got a first batch of material from the former president in January, helping to explain the Justice Department’s urgent response.

Maggie Haberman, Jodi Kantor, Adam Goldman and Ben Protess

The initial batch of documents retrieved by the National Archives from former President Donald J. Trump in January included more than 150 marked as classified, a number that ignited intense concern at the Justice Department and helped trigger the criminal investigation that led F.B.I. agents to swoop into Mar-a-Lago this month seeking to recover more, multiple people briefed on the matter said.

In total, the government has recovered more than 300 documents with classified markings from Mr. Trump since he left office, the people said: that first batch of documents returned in January, another set provided by Mr. Trump’s aides to the Justice Department in June and the material seized by the F.B.I. in the search this month.

The previously unreported volume of the sensitive material found in the former president’s possession in January helps explain why the Justice Department moved so urgently to ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/22/us/p ... ments.html

PostPosted: 08/24/22 12:06 pm • # 43 
Editorialist

Trump, Without the Presidency’s Protections, Struggles for a Strategy
Facing serious legal peril in the documents investigation, the former president has turned to his old playbook of painting himself as persecuted amid legal and political stumbles.

Maggie Haberman, Glenn Thrush and Alan Feuer

On Tuesday, a Florida judge informed two lawyers representing former President Donald J. Trump, neither of them licensed in the state, that they had bungled routine paperwork to take part in a suit filed following the F.B.I.’s search this month of Mr. Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home and private club.

“A sample motion can be found on the Court’s website,” the judge instructed them in her order.

Mr. Trump has projected his usual bravado, and raised millions of dollars online from outraged supporters, since federal agents descended on the property more than two weeks ago and carted off boxloads of material including highly classified documents. But something is different this time — and the errant court filing offered a glimpse into the confusion and uncertainty the investigation has exposed inside Mr. Trump’s camp.

The documents investigation represents the greatest legal threat Mr. Trump has faced in years, and he is going into the battle shorn of the protective infrastructure and constitutional armor of the presidency. After years of burning through lawyers, he has struggled to hire new ones, and has a small group of lawyers of varying experience.

He is facing a Justice Department he no longer controls, run by a by-the-book attorney general, Merrick B. Garland, who has pursued various investigations into Mr. Trump methodically and quietly.

Mr. Trump is serving as his own communications director and strategic adviser, seeking tactical political and in-the-moment public relations victories, sometimes at the risk of stumbling into substantive legal missteps.

One example came late on Monday, when a conservative writer allied with Mr. Trump made public a letter that ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/23/us/p ... ategy.html

PostPosted: 08/25/22 1:20 pm • # 44 
Editorialist

Trump search: Judge given proposed redactions to affidavit

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-justic ... -1.6042023

PostPosted: 08/26/22 9:44 am • # 45 
Editorialist

The magic sharpie strikes again .....

PostPosted: 08/26/22 2:46 pm • # 46 
Editorialist

The affidavit in support of the warrant to search Mar-A-Lago, as redacted, is now available to the public.

Link: https://t.co/qA5SoXlP6R

PostPosted: 08/27/22 4:39 am • # 47 
Editorialist

The affidavit in question

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... .102.1.pdf

PostPosted: 08/29/22 3:50 am • # 48 
Editorialist

ISN’T THAT SPECIAL: Judge makes decision on special master in Trump classified documents case

https://washingtonpress.com/2022/08/28/ ... ents-case/

PostPosted: 08/29/22 6:49 am • # 49 
Editorialist

INTIMIDATION: Trump supporters are now sending threats to National Archives
VINNIE LONGOBARDO

Working for the National Archives and Records Administration isn’t usually thought of as a risky job — unless you have a preternatural fear of being crushed by a falling tower of document boxes. However, since it was revealed that the FBI search of ex-president Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort was precipitated by National Archives officials — who realized that scores of classified documents were never delivered to them at the end of the Trump administration and notified the Justice Department about the problem — violent threats from MAGA supporters have become an everyday occurrence.

Debra Steidel Wall, the acting head of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), noted the sudden political vitriol being directed at the agency in an email sent to the dedicated civil servants who work there, urging them to ignore the controversy and stay focused on their daily activities.

Quote:
“NARA has received messages from the public accusing us of corruption and conspiring against the former President, or congratulating NARA for ‘bringing him down,’ ” Steidel Wall wrote in the agencywide message, according to The Washington Post. “Neither is accurate or welcome.”

As has become apparent in the wake of the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago, Trump was indeed hoarding top secret documents that he had purloined from the White House.

And NARA officials had been unsuccessfully negotiating with Trump’s representatives over the return of the documents for an extended period of time before recovering ...

https://occupydemocrats.com/2022/08/28/ ... -archives/

PostPosted: 08/29/22 4:53 pm • # 50 
Editorialist

Trump legal team advances broad view of presidential powers

A newly unsealed FBI document about the investigation at Mar-a-Lago not only offers new details about the probe but also reveals clues about the arguments former U.S. President Donald Trump's legal team intends to make.

A May 25 letter from one of his lawyers, attached as an exhibit to the search affidavit, advances a broad view of presidential power, asserting that the commander-in-chief has absolute authority to declassify whatever he wants -- and also that the "primary" law governing the handling of U.S. classified information simply doesn't apply to the president himself.

The arguments weren't persuasive enough to the Justice Department to prevent an FBI search of Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate this month, and the affidavit in any event makes clear that investigators are focused on more recent activity -- long after Trump left the White House and lost the legal authorities that came with it. Even so, the letter suggests that a defence strategy anchored around ...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/trump-lega ... -1.6047320

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   Page 2 of 4   [ 83 posts ] New Topic Add Reply