It is currently 04/28/24 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next   Page 2 of 16   [ 395 posts ]
 Post subject: Favorite Quotes
PostPosted: 12/24/08 1:40 pm • # 26 
That is fantastic, sooz. People do tend to simply not care, if it doesn't target them. Our Constitution...morality..say different.

PostPosted: 12/25/08 5:51 am • # 27 
Administrator

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
~ Albert Einstein

PostPosted: 05/17/09 2:26 am • # 28 
Administrator

I'm reviving this thread because I love it, and I'm hoping everyone will contribute to it ~ I'm repeating a quote from above which seems particularly apropos ~ Image ~ Sooz

"It is futile to talk facts to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance."
~ Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: 05/17/09 3:33 am • # 29 
Editorialist

actually, the Neimoeller quote is not directly attributable to Neimoeller. he has certainly said similar things, and his personal encounter with Naziism makes it more plausible, but nobody has yet found a quote from the works and speeches of Neimoeller that matches it. his widow attributed it to him posthumously, i believe. who argues with a widow?

PostPosted: 05/17/09 3:34 am • # 30 
Editorialist

[quote="sooz08"]I'm reviving this thread because I love it, and I'm hoping everyone will contribute to it ~ I'm repeating a quote from above which seems particularly apropos ~ Image ~ Sooz

"It is futile to talk facts to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance."
~ Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: 05/17/09 3:50 am • # 31 
Editorialist

A man's interest in the world is only the overflow from his interest in himself. When you are a child, your vessel is not yet full; so you care for nothing but your own affairs. When you grow up, your vessel overflows; and you are a politician, a philosopher, or an explorer and adventurer. In old age the vessel dries up: there is not overflow; you are a child again. I can give you the memories of my ancient wisdom: mere scraps and leavings; but I no longer really care for anything but my own little wants and hobbies. I sit here working out my ideas as a means of destroying my fellow-creatures. I see my daughters and their men living foolish lives of romance and sentiment and snobbery. I see you, the younger generation, turning from their romance and sentiment and snobbery to money and comfort and hard common sense. You are looking for a rich husband. At your age, I was looking for hardship, danger, horror, and death that I might feel the life in me more intensely. I did not let the fear of death govern my life; and my reward was, I had my life. You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life; and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live.

GB Shaw- Heartbreak House (Captain Shotover)

PostPosted: 05/17/09 3:53 am • # 32 
Editorialist

If man is to survive, he will have learned to take a delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a delight, part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear.

Gene Roddenberry

PostPosted: 05/17/09 3:53 am • # 33 
Editorialist

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Ben Franklin

PostPosted: 05/17/09 3:55 am • # 34 
Editorialist

"The general voice from north to south... calls for a bill of rights. It seems pretty generally understood that this should go to juries, habeas corpus, standing armies, printing, religion and monopolies. I conceive there may be difficulty in finding general modifications of these suited to the habits of all the States. But if such cannot be found, then it is better to establish trials by jury, the right of habeas corpus, freedom of the press, and freedom of religion, in all cases, and to abolish standing armies in time of peace, and monopolies in all cases, than not to do it in any. The few cases wherein these things may do evil cannot be weighed against the multitude wherein the want of them will do evil." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1788. ME 7:96

PostPosted: 05/17/09 3:56 am • # 35 
Editorialist

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Carl Sagan

PostPosted: 05/17/09 3:57 am • # 36 
Editorialist

Modern industrial civilization has developed within a certain system of convenient myths. The driving force of modern industrial civilization has been individual material gain... Now it's long been understood - very well - that a society that is based on this principle will destroy itself in time. It can only persist - with whatever suffering and injustice it entails - as long as it's possible to pretend that the destructive forces that humans create are limited, that the world is an infinite resource, and that the world is an infinite garbage can. At this stage of history either... the general population will take control of its own destiny and will concern itself with community issues guided by values of solidarity, and sympathy, and concern for others, or - alternatively - there will be no destiny for anyone to control.

AN Chomsky

If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged.

AN Chomsky

PostPosted: 05/17/09 4:04 am • # 37 
Editorialist

"To err is human, to repent divine, to persist devilish."

B. Franklin

PostPosted: 05/17/09 4:49 am • # 38 
Never knife the hermit in your soul...

( from a poem written by a Native American poet back in the late sixties, published in Rolling Stone when it was still a fold-over newspaper. I can't remember the poet's name though I have tried to search online to find the poem)

PostPosted: 08/29/09 12:53 pm • # 39 
Administrator

"The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you."
~ B. B. King, American musician, b. 1925

PostPosted: 08/29/09 2:46 pm • # 40 
Editorialist

One of the most interesting and harmful delusions to which men and nations can be subjected is that of imagining themselves special instruments of the Divine Will.

-Bertrand Russell, Unpopular Essays [1950], "Ideas That Have Harmed Mankind"

PostPosted: 08/29/09 2:51 pm • # 41 
All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of our mind

Kahlil Gibran

PostPosted: 08/29/09 3:48 pm • # 42 
It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand. - Mark Twain

PostPosted: 08/30/09 5:03 am • # 43 
Administrator

"It is no use saying, 'We are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary."
~ Winston Churchill, British Orator, Author and Prime Minister during World War II, 1874-1965

PostPosted: 08/30/09 5:18 am • # 44 
Topical .............

"In a world which frequently appears to be a selfish one, the dedication and devotion to duty that one finds in those who operate the NHS is a wonderful reminder of humane values. Over the last 60 years, countless people working within the NHS have given us cause to be proud of what people can do for one another." - Alexander McCall Smith (Professor of Medical Law, University of Edinburgh)

"The NHS is the single greatest achievement of British democracy. My mother spent her entire working life as a nurse, midwife and health visitor in the NHS. It is only people of my mother's generation and older who remember life before, they seem to value it more than anybody else but the future of the NHS is in the hands of younger tax payers. They should speak to their parents." Charlie Reid (The Proclaimers)

PostPosted: 08/31/09 5:44 am • # 45 
Administrator

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."*
Voltaire, French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

* ~ I had never heard this quote until Hawkeye used it in a post today ~ it immediately went on my "favorites" list ~ Sooz

PostPosted: 09/02/09 3:10 am • # 46 

Here's one...it's probably not a famous "quote" but I think it's funny...

If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

PostPosted: 09/02/09 3:26 am • # 47 
I don't know where this came from, but I like it:

"People should not live in fear of their government. Goverments should live in fear of their people."

PostPosted: 09/02/09 3:47 am • # 48 
Sidartha wrote:
I don't know where this came from, but I like it:

"People should not live in fear of their government. Goverments should live in fear of their people."

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: 09/02/09 5:00 am • # 49 
Works for me...

PostPosted: 09/02/09 6:46 am • # 50 
Administrator

"I would rather regret the things that I have done than the things that I have not."
~ Lucille Ball, American radio and motion-picture actress and comedy star, 1911-1989

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next   Page 2 of 16   [ 395 posts ] New Topic Add Reply