It is currently 05/16/24 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Hunger Games
PostPosted: 03/21/12 8:31 am • # 1 
Editorialist

It looks like this is going to be a huge money maker. They sold a ton of tickets 4 weeks before the premier. I'm not sure I want to see it, but it's intriguing. North American collapse. People poor and hungry. A sadistic government of sorts with an entertainment of young people who fight to the death. Sci-fi with an eerie touch of reality from today and shades of "1984" with "all citizens are required to watch". I think this may appeal to young people more.

Also this tidbit:

On February 22nd, four weeks before The Hunger Games' release, Lionsgate began selling advanced tickets. Not only did the ticket sales break the one-day record originally held by The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, but also accounted for 83% of the ticket sales of the day. 

http://www.imdb.com/hungergames/

PostPosted: 03/21/12 8:58 am • # 2 
Administrator

9 of my kidlets [5th, 6th, and 7th graders] have read Hunger Games 1 and 2 ~ a few have read or are now reading Hunger Games 3 ~ each and every one of them LOVES the extended story line ~ so far, I've successfully avoided reading the books ~ same as I successfully avoided the Harry Potter series and movies ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/21/12 1:09 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Harry Potter! lol  Didn't read the books, but the movies are great. 

PostPosted: 03/23/12 6:55 am • # 4 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Harry Potter! lol  Didn't read the books, but the movies are great. 
I second that! I'm sure some of your kidlets could loan you the movies, sooz. Give in! Image

( You can skip "Twilight" though.)

PostPosted: 03/28/12 9:39 am • # 5 
I think The Hunger Games is so popular because the tweens are reading it in school.

It's much better than Twilight, but I think it's a mixed bag.

The female lead is very good.  It's pretty much the same role she played in Winter's Bone, but she is strong and sensitive.   I like her.

The base scenario for hunger games is ghastly and we don't experience the full horror I think we should.  I think it seems back pedaled because the novels were aimed at adolescents. 

Technically, too much shakey cam.

The ending feels like a cop-out.  The hardest decision was removed from the scenario. 

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply