It is currently 04/28/24 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Summer Films
PostPosted: 06/20/12 6:59 am • # 1 
So far this summer I have seen:

The Avengers - Super Heros working together.  It's okay.  Captain America and Thor are cute.  I've never quite warmed to Iron Man.  Mark Ruffalo makes an okay Hulk.  I've never gotten the excitement over Scarlet Johanson and really she is too diminuitive to be a kickass Super Heroine. (Where is Jean Grey when you need her?)  The Acher was just silly.   B

Snow White and The Huntsman - Revisiting the classic tale where the Evil Queen has it all over delicate Snow.  Snow's been in the castle keep most of her life and escapes to the woods where she demonstrates her kindness for about 15 minutes before declaring she knows how to kill the queen.   It kept moving but B-.

Prometheus - The prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien Series.  Michael Fassbender is hot even as the boring robot.  Our creators are out there and sent us to a planet with their home grown WMDs.  I liked it and would even welcome a Part 2.    A-

Madagascar 3 - Animals join and circus and fly through the air.   I think this film had no plot and relied on the excitement of the 3-D imaging.  Unfortunately I saw it in 2-D.  C-

I plan to see Batman and Superman and Spiderman before the summer is through.  Hopefully, there will be a movie about women (complete with a plot) before the summer is through, but somehow I doubt it.

PostPosted: 06/20/12 7:07 am • # 2 
Administrator

Kath, will you be surprised when I say I have not seen ANY of those films, nor do I have any intention of seeing any of them? ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/20/12 10:18 am • # 3 
Surprisingly, I am not surprised.   Image

PostPosted: 06/22/12 8:12 am • # 4 
Editorialist

I want to see Snow White, since I have been so enjoying Once Upon a Time on tv.  Maybe Prometheus. Eventually The Avengers.

We usually watch most everything on TV, but make the rare exception when we think it's something to be experienced on the big screen. November, 2013 will be one of those times. The newest Star Trek.

PostPosted: 07/04/12 1:17 pm • # 5 
Rock of Ages - I went on Sunday night for the air conditioning and surprisingly my power came back while I was there so my trip was successful.   This is of the genre called jukebox musicals (like the TV show Glee) where the score of the film is comprised of music made famous by other artists.   This film stars Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx a hedonistic superstar.  Loads of fairly big supporting characters' Catherine Zeta Jones as Tipper Gore who wants to close down the Bourbon Room and clean up LA.  She does a fairly good Hit Me With Your Best Shot even though she lacks Benitar's grit.   Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand own and run the Bourbon Room.  Paul Giametti manages Stacee Jaxx.  The big problem with this movie is the two starstruck ingenues at its core:  Julianne Hough of DWTS fame and a kid named Diego something who used to be a kid star in Mexico.  They are bland and have no palpable chemistry.  Her singing is grating (not at all rock and nasal country).  I would NOT recommend except for the air conditioning.

PostPosted: 07/07/12 2:46 am • # 6 
Editorialist

During intense heat waves with no a/c, any port in the storm eh? I'm sure the relief from the heat was worth the admission price so it's not a total loss.

PostPosted: 07/25/12 3:12 am • # 7 
The Dark Night Rises -  After all the tragedies attached to this movie I was a tad uncomfortable for the first five minutes and found myself watching the exterior Exit Doors.  After that I settled in.  I have always dissed Christopher Nolan as a director who could not cast, write for or direct women.  In this film, he got it right.  Finally.

I liked it a lot, but I like Bale and Batman even with the irritating voice.  Nice conclusion to the trilogy.  A special thumbs up for Michael Caine's Alfred!!!!!

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply