Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/15/12 7:23 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Here we go! 

''Breaking Bad' Cast: Final Season Darkest Yet

Executive Producer says it's 'about winning and what it means to stay on top'

http://tv.msn.com/paralleluniverse/2012-comic-con/breaking-bad/story/?gt1=28103

'Breaking Bad' Season Premiere: What You Need To Know

Break out the beakers and start cooking! (Don't really do that.) "Breaking Bad" is officially back in action with its fifth season premiere tonight (July 14), marking the beginning of Walter White's final 16-episode free-fall from grace. Will the cancer-stricken science teacher turned ruthless drug kingpin find redemption? Or is he beyond saving? We'll start to get the scope of Walt's ultimate fate as early as the first scene of the season premiere, we promise you that.

Before the new season begins, however, it would be wise to look at the past. A lot happened during the epic chess match that was season four, so much that it would be easy to forget it all. With that in mind, keep on reading for everything that happened to the artist known as Heisenberg in season four!

» Gus Fring, lord and master of Pollos Hermanos and an elaborate crystal meth empire, was ready to pull the trigger on troublesome cooks Walter White and Jesse Pinkman when season three drew to a close. But his plan to kill and replace them with soulful scientist Gale Bedeker backfired when Walt had Jesse seek out and assassinate Gale. In retaliation, Gus ruthlessly murdered one of his own employees right in front of Walt and Jesse, sending out a decisive message: you do not f--- with the Fring.

» Jesse and Walt reacted to Gus' actions in very different ways. Walt embraced the lethal game of chess and became obsessed with finding new, increasingly inventive ways to kill Gus and save his hide. Jesse, on the other hand, coped with what he did to Gale by throwing raging parties and keeping himself on emotional lockdown. For Gus' part, he moved forward by completely shutting Walt out and installing monitors in the lab to keep tabs on his cooks. Eventually, he drove a further wedge between Walt and Jesse by essentially absolving the younger of the pair and putting him to work, empowering Jesse in a way no one had ever previously done.

» Meanwhile, Hank Schraeder, still impossibly messed up from his run-in with the Cousins, abandoned his DEA instincts in favor of pursuing a mineral collecting hobby. Like Jesse, he shut himself off to the world, pushing away his wife Marie to the point that she returned to her kleptomania habit. After bailing her out of big trouble, Hank was courted once again by the DEA to look over materials recovered at Gale's home. With the help of a very drunk and way-too-proud Walt, Hank found himself back on the hunt for the elusive Heisenberg, with all signs pointing towards one man: Gustavo Fring.

» The meticulous life of Mr. Fring began unraveling throughout season four. Walt was a massive thorn in his side, yes, but he had bigger fish to fry, including Hank and the DEA, and the Mexican drug lord Don Eladio south of the border. Eladio was the man who killed one of Gus' business partners several years earlier, and his comeuppance finally came in season four when Fring took Mike and Jesse down to Mexico and slaughtered the entire cartel. Mike took a bullet to the gut and had to stay in Mexico to recover, while Gus returned to the U.S. with more power than ever before, Mr. Pinkman right behind him.

» In a further move to remove Walt from the game, Gus tried to convince Jesse that he could graduate from sous chef to main meth cook. But Jesse wouldn't take on the job if that meant the murder of Walter White — a strong testament to Jesse's character, considering that he and Walt got into a partnership-ending fist fight just a few episodes earlier. To preserve Jesse's loyalty, Gus agreed not to kill Walt. Instead, he put a hit out on Hank, whose investigation into the crystal meth case was getting way too close to Gus for comfort.

» With his back against the wall and his family's safety on the line, Walt took a now-or-never stance in his war against Gus Fring. He was able to convince Jesse to join his cause once again after the son of Jesse's girlfriend, Brock, was found badly poisoned, with all signs pointing to Fring as the poisoner. After their initial attempt to assassinate Gus failed, Walt turned to the enemy of his enemy, the wheelchair-bound and bell-ringing Hector Salamanca, the last of Gus' nemeses from the Eladio days. Hector visited the DEA, communicated some obscenities, and returned to his nursing home — all part of a ruse to lure Gus out into the open. Fring took the bait and paid Hector a visit, lethal injection in hand. But it was Hector (and Walt) who had the last laugh as he rang his iconic bell with maniacal fury, triggering a bomb that blew Gus Fring straight to hell.

» The war was over. Gus lost, and Walter White won. But at what cost? In the closing moments of season four, it was revealed that Walt was the one who poisoned young Brock, all in an attempt to get Jesse back on his side. It was yet another sign that after all that he's been through, Walter is no longer breaking bad — he is officially broken.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1689648/breaking-bad-premiere.jhtml

PostPosted: 07/16/12 5:51 am • # 2 
I never watched Breaking Bad because I hate the concept of it.  I thought the protagonist always had to be bad.  I am a high school chemistry teaching and I'm dying of cancer so I will make and market meth.  Why not do something good with the end of his life?

PostPosted: 07/16/12 7:34 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Walt was a simple character to begin with. He's book smart, but not street smart, and he gets involved in meth dealing because he wants to provide for his family after he's dead – he's in the advanced stages of lung cancer, by the way. He's the character to root for, the guy you want to see win, but at the same time, you know there's an oncoming train wreck and that this is perhaps the stupidest get rich quick scheme anyone has ever had. 

What good could he do that would have provided a lifetime of financial security for his family in just a few months? That's all the time he thought he had. There wasn't even enough money to try and treat his cancer.
(Walt has never used the product, but his addiction to power has been far more destructive anyway.) 

PostPosted: 07/16/12 7:42 am • # 4 
Editorialist

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

It's been a really tough time in our family since my dad got cancer.  Not
that there's ever a good time for something as awful and as scary as that,
but it was sure a bad time for us.  My mom was pregnant with what she calls
a surprise baby (who is now Holly and even though she's a newborn baby she's
actually cute) and my dad had an extra job after school to try to help pay
all the regular bills. And that was before he got his diagnosis.  We don't
have a lot of money but we were doing okay until all the medical bills.  And
my dad is pretty proud - okay, really proud - and doesn't want to take char-
ity.  That's why I'm doing this.  Not because I want to make him mad or
upset, but because I want him to have a fighting chance no matter what.

One thing I don't understand is why saving someone's life costs more than a
regular person can pay. And why some doctor's (usually the best ones) don't
take insurance.  I think that's wrong.  I mean, one of the big reasons why
my dad didn't want to get treatment at all in the first place was because he
didn't want to leave us behind with a huge debt. That's the thing about my
dad - he loves us more than anything. More than himself.  But we want him
around and we want him to try everything he can to stay with us as long as
possible. This surgery is the one chance there is to save his life.  And we
can't afford it. And every day that goes by is one less day I'll have with
him. And I don't want to tell my little sister about my dad.  I want her to
know him for herself.

PostPosted: 07/16/12 7:58 am • # 5 
Editorialist

I never watched, but I think I would've liked the series. From what I've read and heard, this season will be very, very dark. I would rather wait and watch the entire series, from the start, than to watch just this last season. I want to understand.

PostPosted: 07/16/12 8:25 am • # 6 
My nephew Todd (age 53) has had multiple myeloma (bone marrow cancer) for the past 5 years.  That is longer than most live with the disease.  His family will have to live a long time without him or the profits of his meth business.  The hero of the show was a teacher.  Teacher's have health insurance. 

Still not a show I will watch.   

PostPosted: 07/16/12 11:03 am • # 7 
Editorialist

I'm excited about the new season ( which will be split in two...so it's actually two more seasons)....

Having health insurance doesn't mean you can afford the bills the insurance doesn't cover. The character was already working two jobs to make ends meet when the storyline started. This is NOT a "selling meth is a great thing" story. 

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 08/13/12 9:40 am • # 8 
Editorialist

[font=][font=]Another toe-curling episode last night. There aren't many shows that can make me yell at the TV.

Cranston & Paul are on the cover of Rolling Stone for September, great article.[/font][/font]

They also recap each episode, here's just a snip...warning, spoiler alert!

This will crush Jesse, we know that much. It'll be the hardest thing yet for Walt to rationalize, and the hardest thing yet for Mike to stomach. And it will haunt me. God, will it haunt me. Harrowing, heartbreaking, magnificent television.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... z23RPn2g4J

PostPosted: 08/26/12 9:22 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

Holy bleep! DamnDamnDamnDamn!!!!! AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

:bow2

PostPosted: 08/28/12 1:30 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

This past weekend at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles, the Television Critics Association announced the winners for the 28th Annual TCA Awards, and Breaking Bad was honored with the statue for Outstanding Achievement in Drama, its second such award.

Yesterday, The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films held its 38th annual Saturn Awards in Burbank, California. Breaking Bad took home the award for Best Syndicated/Cable Television Series, and Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul were honored with awards for Best Actor on Television and Best Supporting Actor on Television, respectively.

This morning the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences announced their nominees for the 64th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards, and Breaking Bad was honored with a total of 13 nominations -- five of which spanned such categories as Outstanding Drama, Outstanding Lead Actor, Outstanding Supporting Actor, and Outstanding Supporting Actress.

Yesssssssssssssssss!

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/awards/

PostPosted: 09/02/12 11:01 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

It's TOO funny...I can't stand it...LMAO!!!!

http://now.msn.com/jonathan-banks-of-br ... nstruation

PostPosted: 10/20/12 9:14 pm • # 12 
Editorialist

Back in Season 2, Walter Jr. launched a website to help raise money for his dad's cancer treatments. In conjunction with that episode, AMCtv.com launched SaveWalterWhite.com, an actual website featuring Walter Jr.'s on-air web design and paean to his father. This website also provides a real-life opportunity to help fight cancer by driving Breaking Bad fans to the National Cancer Coalition (NCC).

The National Cancer Coalition, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation, supports relief, education and training, and research programs throughout the world. The NCC's international medical assistance program provides requested specialty pharmaceuticals, essential medicines, hospital supplies and medical equipment to medical facilities that treat underserved patients in over 50 developing countries around the world.

Since the launch of SaveWalterWhite.com in July of 2009, more than one million Breaking Bad fans have clicked on the "Click Here to Donate" button and visited the National Cancer Coalition's website, and to date, those fans have donated more than $125,000 to the NCC. Want to join fellow Breaking Bad fans and make your own contribution to the fight against cancer? Visit SaveWalterWhite.com now.

(Note: SaveWalterWhite.com is purely fictional, and the National Cancer Coalition is not affiliated with Breaking Bad nor with AMC.)

PostPosted: 10/24/12 6:54 am • # 13 
Editorialist

And he's a great actor, too.

RJ Mitte tells Dr. Drew about how he was buliied as a child

On Thursday night, “Breaking Bad” star RJ Mitte joined HLN’s Dr. Drew. Mitte has cerebral palsy. He talked about how how he survived bullying while growing up.

“I was choked out when we were in P.E.,” he said. “Somebody [also] grabbed my sweatshirt and I had my hand broken. [There was ] name calling [as well].”

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2012/10/18/b ... sy-bullied

PostPosted: 12/21/12 9:39 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

Stephen King: My Top 20 of 2011

1. Breaking Bad, AMC
This season, Breaking Bad was more than a good thing; it was a great thing where performance, ­direction, concept, and ­hallucinatory New Mexico location photography all came together with the power of a bomb wired to a wheelchair. Bryan ­Cranston and Aaron Paul turned in the best performances I've seen in years, and Giancarlo Esposito (as Gus Fring) is simply the best villain ever on a ­continuing TV show. The ultimate showdown between Gus and Walter is mythic, the outcome simultaneously satisfying and completely surprising. Breaking Bad has now surpassed The Sopranos, and, although I love Steve Buscemi, HBO's Boardwalk Empire isn't even in the running. Breaking Bad is an American classic.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2032635 ... l#21089713

PostPosted: 12/21/12 9:41 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

Stephen King and Time Call Breaking Bad One of Year's Best; Aaron Paul Chats With GQ

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/201 ... 122112.php

• The Hollywood Reporter commends Golden Globe voters for "finally nominating AMC's Breaking Bad, after a full four seasons of brilliance have gone by. Better late than never." E! Online welcomes Breaking Bad to the best drama category: "It's nice to finally see you after consistently being one of the best shows on television." Entertainment Weekly says, "given the Globes long track record of ignoring the AMC drama in this category, doing the right thing qualifies as a shocker."

PostPosted: 01/03/13 10:28 pm • # 16 
Editorialist

Ten Things on Vince Gilligan’s Mind As He Writes the Final Episodes of Breaking Bad

“We’re not gonna please everyone, we’re not gonna please everyone … This is what I keep telling myself so I can sleep at night,” Vince Gilligan laughed last month, even though he wasn’t exactly joking. When he spoke to Vulture, he was putting the finishing touches on the story for the third to last episode, getting very close to tackling the series finale (the show’s last stretch of eight episodes airs on AMC starting in July). The writers room had gotten “a little schizophrenic,” said Gilligan: They’ve been taking twice as long as normal, or about three and a half weeks, to break each of these concluding episodes, and rather than building from the ground up, they’ve had to do a little reverse-engineering to arrive where they must by the end. All of which is to say, he’s more frazzled than usual, anxiously working to tie things up beautifully. “It’s going to be polarizing no matter how you slice it,” Gilligan said, “but you don’t want 10 percent to say it was great and 90 percent to say it sucked ass. You want those numbers to be reversed.” Without giving anything away (would anyone really want that?), he took some time to download ten things on his mind as he heads into the homestretch.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/vince-gi ... inale.html

My favorite line of this article :

“I like to think of Saul as a cockroach in the best possible way,” :lol

PostPosted: 01/28/13 8:55 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston Wins SAG Award for Best Actor

On Sunday, the Screen Actors Guild announced the winners for the 19th annual SAG awards, and Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston was honored with a win for Outstanding Male Actor in a Drama Series. In addition, Cranston and the cast of Argo won the award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture. "It is so good to be bad," Cranston said, accepting the Male Actor award. In his speech, he thanked Vince Gilligan for writing what Cranston called the role of his career.

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/201 ... um=twitter

PostPosted: 09/16/13 10:45 am • # 18 
Editorialist

:bow
I find it hard to even articulate how well done this final run has been so far. Stunning in every way, every detail. Like watching an explosion in slow motion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-r ... 31402.html

Note: Do not read if you have not yet seen Season 5, Episode 14 of AMC's "Breaking Bad," "Ozymandias."

Words fail.

Whatever can be said about tonight's "Breaking Bad," whatever words can be written, they won't do justice to this hour of television, which is without a doubt the hardest episode of TV I've ever watched.

Every time you thought things couldn't get worse, they did. Every time you thought the lowest point had been reached, it hadn't been. There was more. It kept coming. It kept finding new ways to be mind-bendingly, soul-churningly devastating.

PostPosted: 09/21/13 10:14 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

Call this impulse what you want, making excuses or, better still, total denial. Denial is Walt's true addiction. More than the "crystal blue persuasion" Walt's been cooking or the ricin he threatens to use, denial is the toxic, satanic brew permeating "Breaking Bad's" narrative. Deniers are worse than explainers when they facilitate or validate gruesome activities.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/21/opini ... Stories%29

PostPosted: 09/22/13 11:41 pm • # 20 
I guess I am really behind times because I have never even heard mention of this program. :g

PostPosted: 09/23/13 7:02 am • # 21 
Editorialist

LONG OVERDUE!!!

Breaking Bad won two major prizes at the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards tonight, taking home the top award for Outstanding Drama as well as the award for Anna Gunn as Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/201 ... g-actress/

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: 09/23/13 7:06 am • # 22 
Editorialist

Dee wrote:
I guess I am really behind times because I have never even heard mention of this program. :g

Well, you're in luck Dee-if you get AMC....

Leading up, and to get fans ready for the highly anticipated series finale of Breaking Bad, AMC is airing the Breaking Bad Marathon: Countdown to Finale, beginning on Wed., Sep. 25 at 8/7c with Seasons 1-4 and running through late night Fri., Sep. 27. The marathon resumes with Season 5 on Sat. Sep. 28 at 11/10c and runs continuously up to the Series Finale on Sun., Sep. 29 at 9/8c.

http://blogs.amctv.com/breaking-bad/201 ... ed-sep-25/

PostPosted: 09/24/13 1:05 am • # 23 
I'll set my TiVo for this as we will be out of town from Friday morning through Monday. I'd like to see what I have missed. Thanks for the info Chaos.

PostPosted: 09/24/13 8:13 am • # 24 
Editorialist

You're welcome, Dee! I wish I could record the whole thing.

I'm really looking forward to seeing (at least) the first 4 episodes again tomorrow night.

PostPosted: 09/30/13 6:15 am • # 25 
Editorialist

“I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it,” he said. “And I was really, I was alive.”

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ] New Topic Add Reply