It is currently 05/13/24 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
 Post subject: Star Trek Into Darkness
PostPosted: 04/20/13 4:22 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

We are eagerly anticipating the premier of this next month! :D After watching the previous Star Trek on tv today for the umpteenth time, I watched the trailer for the new one. Can't wait!

All the stars are back with Benadict Cumberbatch as Kahn. He is also starring in an upcoming movie "The Fifth Estate" (among a few other projects) about the founders of Wikileaks, set to be released in November. He's a busy man.

Interestingly, we were watching a 2006 episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent a few weeks ago and thought that the young lad look familiar. It was Anton Yelchin, who plays Chekov in the Star Trek movies. He was 17 at the time, but looked about 12. He also has several projects in the works.

Last edited by roseanne on 05/05/13 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05/05/13 8:30 pm • # 2 

Thanks for starting this thread, Roseanne!

I need to nitpick about one tiny thing though. Maybe you can edit the title of this thread. The names of all the other Star Trek movies started with "Star Trek: ____". But this movie is called "Star Trek Into Darkness". Actually, fans are excited about the uniqueness of the name, like it's an English sentence. They've been discussing that.

PostPosted: 05/05/13 8:40 pm • # 3 
This is the "teaser poster":

The early poster above says the movie will open (in the United States) on Friday, May 17; however, the movie is actually going to premiere on Thursday, May 16.

I had downloaded the Star Trek Into Darkness app to my phone, and fans who did so are being given the opportunity to see the movie the day before it opens to the general public! So I will be seeing the movie in IMAX 3D at 8 pm on Wednesday, May 15! Image

PostPosted: 05/05/13 9:43 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I need to nitpick about one tiny thing though. Maybe you can edit the title of this thread. The names of all the other Star Trek movies started with "Star Trek: ____". But this movie is called "Star Trek Into Darkness". Actually, fans are excited about the uniqueness of the name, like it's an English sentence. They've been discussing that.

So, you are one of THOSE Trekkies (or are you a Trekker? :eyes )! LOL, your wish is my command, sir. I'm just joshing. I understand that some fans are fanatical about details like that........my hubby included. Ha! :b

Compared to many, I am a relative new fan. I really didn't get all into the original series and never watched TNG, Voyager, Deep Space Nine or any of the movies (busy raising young'uns so Sesame Street was my forte) until I shacked up with my sweetie. He's such a fan (he as a uniform, badge and communicator worn for Halloween many moons ago) that he got me hooked.

We've been to Vulcan....Alberta a few times (I have the t-shirt to prove it), but missed Leonard Nimoy's visit there a few years ago due to work. :( The museum and replica Enterprise are cute even if they are a little hokey.

http://www.canadacool.com/COOLFACTS/ALBERTA/Vulcan.html

PostPosted: 05/06/13 8:31 am • # 5 
Thanks for fixing the title, Roseanne. Yeah, when it comes to Star Trek, I can be quite anal -- er, fanatical. Image

I'm proud to call myself a Trekkie. I was calling myself a Trekkie before the term "Trekker" was coined, and I refuse to change! Image I'm not ashamed to call myself a Trekkie!

Well, I'm off to work. Work long hours and prosper. Image

PostPosted: 05/07/13 9:03 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Hubby can quote every line from the original series and many from the others plus the movies. LOL

We are going to wait until the brouhaha dies down before we go to see it. Be sure to post your review, but no spoilers please. :)

PostPosted: 05/07/13 5:54 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

I loved TNG and Deep Space Nine (in fact, that was my favorite of all the ST series) but hated Enterprise and felt a little meh about Voyager.

Saw the first new ST movie and liked it so I'm anxious to see how the second one turns out.

PostPosted: 05/07/13 7:32 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

It's funny, but TNG was my favorite at first. (remember I hadn't watched any except the original until 10 years ago, and saw TNG first), then Voyager became my favorite. I loved seeing a strong woman as captain, the constant search for a way home was fun and the many time/space paradoxes are some of my favorite episodes.

I also loved DS9 because it was so different. A stationary "home base", instead of a traveling one. Dozens of regular characters with so many different stories. It ended too soon, imo.

Enterprise just didn't have proper writing, imo. I think, with time, it could have been a good series. I feel they emphasized the hokieness, for want of a better word. Instead of it looking like early space exploration, it looked like a show just trying to look like that, if that makes sense. I was finally getting into the characters when it ended. :grin

One thing I love about all of the Star Trek shows/movies is how they either recycle actors (many played different aliens in different permutations) or how they brought in familiar characters for different shows.

I hope one day to own them all on DVD or blue ray, including the original and the movies. It would be fun to watch them in order from beginning to end....except I will have to listen to hubby bitch about how they screw up the time-lines. :eyes LOL

PostPosted: 05/07/13 10:34 pm • # 9 
I know every line from every episode of the original series as well.

My favorite series was the original, of course.

My second favorite was probably Voyager. Third would be Deep Space 9 or The Next Generation. The thing I liked about Deep Space 9 was the episodes more or less continued one after the other, telling a long story over the course of the series. That made you want to be sure to tune in each week, or you'd miss part of the storyline.

PostPosted: 05/11/13 7:26 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Funny!

PostPosted: 05/14/13 7:54 am • # 11 

Tomorrow is the big day! I already have my ticket. Since I have the "Star Trek Into Darkness" app on my phone, I was entitled to purchase tickets to see it with fellow fans a day earlier than the general release. I'm see it in IMAX 3-D, of course!Image

PostPosted: 05/14/13 10:53 am • # 12 
Editorialist

You're going to provide us with a review, right?

PostPosted: 05/14/13 3:41 pm • # 13 
Editorialist

laffinalltheway wrote:
You're going to provide us with a review, right?

Without spoilers, please. :)

PostPosted: 05/14/13 4:28 pm • # 14 
Yes, of course, I'll write a review! I have a die-hard fellow Trekkie on my board (female) who is seeing the movie Friday night, so I'll probably wait until Saturday or Sunday to write the review.

PostPosted: 05/14/13 8:23 pm • # 15 

Oh, wow!...

I was thinking that I'd like to watch the original 2009 Star Trek movie again to refresh my memory before I see the sequel, and then I received this e-mail from Fandango this afternoon. (Although I don't think I will have time to watch the movie tonight.)

ImageImage

Your purchase of tickets for Star Trek Into Darkness
has earned you a download of Star Trek (2009) on
iTunes as a gift to you.

We hope you enjoy the movie!

PostPosted: 05/15/13 8:32 am • # 16 

Happy "Star Trek Into Darkness" Day!

PostPosted: 05/15/13 10:51 am • # 17 
Editorialist

We have Star Trek on dvd and plan to watch it right before we go to the new one, even though we've seen it a dozen times or more on tv.

On Friday night, the History channel (Canada and probably US too) is showing:

Star Trek: Secrets of the Universe

Behind-the-scenes Star Trek documentary covers the making of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness and the science behind it.

We plan on watching it or recording it for the weekend. (depends on Stanley cup games, LOL)

Edited:

Ooops, my bad. I airs TONIGHT in the US. I would've known that had I read the entire article. Sorry.

In the wake of J.J. Abrams’ most recent Star Trek film, the History Channel will premiere a behind-the-scenes documentary on the movie.

Star Trek: Secrets of the Universe will air in Canada this Friday, promising viewers a “deep look” behind the scenes and on the set of Trek Into DarknessStarTrek Into Darkness.

Scientists tackle many topics from exoplanets, which are planets orbiting stars other than the sun and are a very long way away to the physics of warp drive, a faster-than-light propulsion system made famous by Star Trek’s Enterprise but as-yet unachieved in the world of real-life science.

“The final frontier becomes a reality,” reads the tag line on the trailer.

Star Trek: Secrets of the Universe aired ( I hope they mean "airs" as in tonight) on History Wednesday in the U.S.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/te ... ravel.html

PostPosted: 05/15/13 4:02 pm • # 18 
Thanks for this information, Roseanne! I need to share this hot news on my board!

PostPosted: 05/15/13 4:36 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

You're very welcome.

I verified and it does air tonight on History at 10/9c

PostPosted: 05/15/13 6:37 pm • # 20 

Yes, I saw it at the History Channel's webpage:

http://www.history.com/shows/star-trek- ... e-universe

PostPosted: 05/15/13 8:29 pm • # 21 
At the Edwards Cinema to watch Star Trek Into Darkness!

PostPosted: 05/16/13 12:08 am • # 22 

Great movie!

The movie theater gave us a free souvenir movie poster too. It's a looooong poster with an original painting of the Enterprise and planets. It has today's date of "05.15.13" stamped on it.

PostPosted: 05/16/13 10:51 am • # 23 
Editorialist

SciFiGuy wrote:
Great movie!

The movie theater gave us a free souvenir movie poster too. It's a looooong poster with an original painting of the Enterprise and planets. It has today's date of "05.15.13" stamped on it.

Very cool! I'd have that framed ASAP! May be worth some big bucks one day.

PostPosted: 05/20/13 11:35 am • # 24 
Editorialist

We watched the History Channel documentary yesterday. Had recorded it from Friday. It was very good. I loved seeing the footage from NIF! I'm sure the scientists there got a thrill as well as the actors. Using that as the "warp drive"/engine room was pure genius.

When they started talking about traveling at the speed of light, time dialation and time travel, I got giddy, LOL. Mostly because I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. Traveling at or near the speed of light and returning to earth would be a form of traveling to the future, since so much time would have passed on earth. :grin

The possibility, however remote, is exciting......but the possibility of traveling into the past carries too much risk, imo. Paradoxes and all. It boggles the mind. I enjoyed those episodes from all the Star Trek incarnations the most because they always made me think and wonder if it hasn't already happened. Who knows? Maybe someone from the future had already visited us and changed events............ :b We would never know, because the here and now are our reality. Think about it. All the missing persons who have never been found. Hmmm? :lol

PostPosted: 05/31/13 7:45 pm • # 25 
Editorialist

Got our tickets for Sunday. Yay!!

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ] New Topic Add Reply