It is currently 03/29/24 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ]
 Post subject: Under the Dome
PostPosted: 06/26/13 2:30 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I haven't read the Stephen King book, but I did read a synopsis of it before I watched the new tv show. It took King 3 tries and about 30 years to get the book right, saving only the first chapter from the original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome

Watched the pilot this morning. I liked it! A eerie premise that can be good, if they keep on this track. Some good story lines between characters. A few strangers stuck in this small town under the dome.

Looking forward to episode 2.

Post subject: Re: Under the Dome
PostPosted: 07/01/13 8:58 am • # 2 
I thought Ep 2 would have been on last night, but I guess not?

I read the book when it came out. As an avid SK fan, I always do. It was an okay book, not his best but not his worst (Cell).

PostPosted: 07/01/13 9:49 am • # 3 
Administrator

I was disappointed too, MP, that last night's episode was a rerun of the pilot ~ lots of characters and motives to sort thru ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/02/13 8:01 am • # 4 
It was on last night. I wonder what night it is going to be on regularly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07/02/13 8:12 am • # 5 
Administrator

Did you watch last night? ~ I had it on but wasn't paying close attention and I ended up very confused ~ :g

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/02/13 9:43 am • # 6 
Editorialist

sooz, if you don't concentrate it is easy to be confused with the pilot, since they are trying to flesh out all the characters and their storylines.

The beginning: A man is burying a body. On his way out of town, he wrecks and then gets trapped in the town. Meanwhile, a new reporter in town thinks her missing husband is having an affair, but it's really the dead guy. (Not sure why he was killed yet, but sure it will be explained) Ironically, she offers the man a room at her house. That will be interesting.

A young couple is arguing over their relationship. He wants more, she doesn't. After the dome falls, he goes nuts, kidnaps her (her Mom and Dad are trapped outside the dome) and locks her in a storm cellar. His dad is the mayor (I think)

A couple of women (partners?) and a daughter of one of them are passing through the town and get stuck.

The chief of police, who has a pacemaker, touches the dome and dies.

What will happen is that some of the people will turn on each other, some will try to reign in the chaos. There will be romances, break-ups etc.

The aliens who placed the dome will probably reveal themselves eventually. Some will try to make friends with them, others will be too afraid and resentful.

I think it is similar to "Lost", but I didn't watch that and only saw previews and such.

PostPosted: 07/02/13 9:59 am • # 7 
Administrator

That helps ~ thanks, roseanne ~ but, for me, the pilot was easier to follow than last night's episode ~ it just seemed very disjointed to me ~ but then again I wasn't really paying much attention ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/02/13 5:40 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Oh, there's a new one? LOL! I thought it WAS the pilot. My bad. I'll probably watch that when I ride my bike in the morning......if I do. I'll need more than the few hours sleep I got last night to do that. This heat kills me at night.

PostPosted: 07/05/13 7:04 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Ok, I watched it. Here's a little more explanation sooz:

The town councilman, the minister and the chief of police had a plan to produce drugs (meth?) to help the town (although the councilman and minister had other plans? not sure what yet). They had ferried in thousands of gallons of propane to do this, which is in a barn somewhere.

When the police chief died, the other two knew he had been wanting to get out of the deal and the minister went to his house to find whatever documents he had. He ended up starting a fire trying to destroy the documents...

Does that help?

PostPosted: 07/05/13 9:01 am • # 10 
Administrator

It does help ~ thanks, roseanne ~ networks here are airing reruns of new shows they are pushing as "fillers" on Saturday nights ~ if this 2d episode is rerun tomorrow night, I'll watch it again ~ I'm thinking this series has "good bones", but the writing seems disjointed ~ lots of "main" characters, each with her or his own storyline ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/05/13 1:15 pm • # 11 
sooz06 wrote:
It does help ~ thanks, roseanne ~ networks here are airing reruns of new shows they are pushing as "fillers" on Saturday nights ~ if this 2d episode is rerun tomorrow night, I'll watch it again ~ I'm thinking this series has "good bones", but the writing seems disjointed ~ lots of "main" characters, each with her or his own storyline ~

Sooz

The book is a good sized book Over 1000 pages). SK does really well with character development that doesn't always translate to the screen. There just isn't time. I haven't read the book in a couple years, I would not be surprised to see some were character cut entirely. The ones left they left for a reason.

PostPosted: 07/05/13 3:42 pm • # 12 
Administrator

MP, since you're a Stephen King fan, you might find this interesting ~ he [and his wife Tabitha] were in a rock band of authors that includes a long-time friend of mine, Scott Turow ~ it's called "Rock Bottom Remainders", and they toured for a couple of weeks each summer for maybe 15 or so years, altho I think they stopped touring sometime last year ~ they used their concerts as fundraisers for literacy events ~ others in the band included Mitch Albom [Tuesdays with Morrie], Amy Tan, Dave Barry, Ridley Pearson, and several others ~ they were actually more than decent, and SK is an accomplished guitar player ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/09/13 7:56 am • # 13 
That is cool, Sooz!

I saw it was on last night but I recorded it, I will try to watch tonight.

PostPosted: 07/09/13 8:14 am • # 14 
Administrator

Last night's episode was solid ~ getting to the "heart" of the storyline ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/29/13 3:12 pm • # 15 
Administrator

Very cool! ~ glad to know there will be a Season 2 ~ and nice to know SK gives his stamp of approval ~ Sooz

Monday, Jul 29, 2013 11:30 AM CDT
Stephen King to pen first episode of “Under the Dome” season 2
The series, based on the novelist's book, has been renewed for a second season.
By Prachi Gupta

CBS’s “Under the Dome,” a sci-fi drama based on the eponymous Stephen King novel, has been renewed for a second season.

“Under the Dome” follows the inhabitants of a small town who must grapple with the realization that their town has been mysteriously trapped within a large dome.

More people turned into the show’s premiere than any summer debut on any network since NBC’s “The Singing Bee” in 2007, notes Entertainment Weekly. The season premiere’s success might be repeated again next summer, as the novelist will pen the episode himself.

“We’re excited to tell more stories about the mystery of the dome and the secrets in Chester’s Mill, and are thrilled to have the master storyteller himself, Stephen King, tell the first one of next season,” said CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler in a press release.

“Under the Dome” averages 13.8 million viewers a week. The second season will air summer 2014.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/29/stephen_king_to_pen_first_episode_of_under_the_dome_season_2/

PostPosted: 08/21/13 7:42 am • # 16 
Editorialist

Keeps getting weirder and weirder, yea! lol

I has to look to see who the new character is and was shocked that it was played Beth Broderick. Man, has she lost weight and changed her looks! I knew she looked familiar, but would have never guessed.

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:18 am • # 17 
Editorialist

Ok, so I was wrong about Beth Broderick. The new character is played by Natalie Zea. No wonder I thought Beth had changed! :o :lol

I KNEW she looked familiar. She played Clarie on "The Following".......which btw, is coming back! Yea! It was in limbo the last I heard.

PostPosted: 06/24/14 12:41 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Apparently the writers, producers, and actors read this thread with us complaining about how complicated the plot and characters are ~ :b ~ last night, in advance of Under the Dome's return this week, CBS aired a special in which several of the main actors reviewed all the characters and all the inter-weaving plots, along with previewing this season ~ it looks like the violence will be bumped up this season, which might be a problem for me [depending on how the violence is handled] ~ I think the season premiere is this coming Sunday, but check your local listings ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/25/14 3:14 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
Apparently the writers, producers, and actors read this thread with us complaining about how complicated the plot and characters are ~ :b ~ last night, in advance of Under the Dome's return this week, CBS aired a special in which several of the main actors reviewed all the characters and all the inter-weaving plots, along with previewing this season ~ it looks like the violence will be bumped up this season, which might be a problem for me [depending on how the violence is handled] ~ I think the season premiere is this coming Sunday, but check your local listings ~

Sooz

I don't know if they aired that here, sooz. I didn't see anything about it. It premiers here on Monday. I read somewhere that "Big Jim" will be kinder and gentler. I don't see how they can't have more violence considering the circumstances, lol. I'd be ready to kill someone if I was trapped like that. Like you, we'll see how they handle it.

PostPosted: 06/26/14 8:05 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

I found it! I'm glad I did, because I had sort of lost some of the threads of the story. Can't wait until Monday.

PostPosted: 07/01/14 1:58 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

I enjoyed the first episode. From what I've seen in IMdb, many of the first season main cast will not make it. I was happy to see Eddie Cahill! I liked him on CSI NY.

PostPosted: 07/01/14 2:52 pm • # 22 
Administrator

I liked last night's season premiere, too ~ there was an uptick in violence ~ but if it's handled consistently like it was last night, I'm okay with it ... I think ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/19/14 10:13 am • # 23 
Administrator

This season's episodes have been riveting ~ it's going in directions I never even imagined ~ a solid "A" from me ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/19/14 11:17 am • # 24 
Editorialist

Me too sooz. The cliff jump result, while not surprising me since I had an inkling there was "something", is interesting because of the story to go along with it. Now I want to know about the "red door" that they showed briefly in one episode and is on the last postcard. Where does it go? What does it mean?

And, BTW, WHO send the dome and why?

lol, that's how they keep you hooked, eh?

PostPosted: 07/03/15 6:58 am • # 25 
Administrator

Under the Dome returned this week [along with Extant] ~ again, I'm fairly lost ~ and the writing [or maybe it's my brain] feels disjointed to me ~ a few people "returning from the dead" ~ a few new characters ~ we'll see how it plays out ~

Sooz

Go to page 1, 2  Next   Page 1 of 2   [ 39 posts ] New Topic Add Reply