It is currently 04/28/24 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: The Fosters
PostPosted: 07/20/13 11:52 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I talked about this show in another thread. On ABC.

Anyway, it's absolutely great! Although it mostly centers around teen angst, it deals with so many other issues. How they manage to work them into the plot is mind boggling and brilliant.

The parents are a lesbian couple, the kids are multi-racial, some natural, some adopted, some fostered.

They have, to date, touched on the lesbian issue (one of the partners was married and had a son, her dad doesn't understand how she "turned"), teen sex (including the morning after pill), absent fathers, the foster care system, rape, immigration (undocumented cast member) and so many other things that I can't think of now. It's not "preachy" and stays pretty real. I don't usually watch shows about teens, but this one has me captivated because of the many issues they address.

One young actress in particular is a great talent. She is going places, imo....as long as she can land progressively more mature roles. Maia Mitchell. She's been in other things (like Castaway), but I didn't watch them.

I highly recommend this for anyone to watch with their teens. If nothing else, it can spark great discussions. It should be required for a social studies course in HS, imo.

Post subject: Re: The Fosters
PostPosted: 07/26/13 8:26 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

I didn't even know this show existed. lol I'll keep an eye out for it!

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply