It is currently 05/16/24 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/08/13 9:18 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

"The Fall" with Gillian Anderson interested me, especially with since I loved "X Files". I just can't watch it. She is a supposedly hot shot British inspector chasing after a serial killer in Scotland. She is stone-faced and monotoned. No personality at all. This mini-series relies heavily on loooong silent scenes like watching her brush her teeth, turn back the covers on her bed, climb into bed and then the close-up of her face. BORING, imo. I was disappointed. I guess that's a good thing since I can no longer access the episodes online because Bravo was bought by Bell Media and have some new bullshit app that was rolled out before it was really ready.(Must have a MS ex-employee working for them :b )

"Broadchurch" is a British drama about a small English coastal town where a child is murdered. The supposedly hot-shot inspector is a Scot.
This one is very good. Great dialog (when I can understand it, rofl), great actors and a good story line. The first two episodes I wasn't sure about the inspector. Broody, surly and quiet when he wasn't barking at someone. Now, in the 3rd episode, they've thrown in a few hints about his past in a rather unique way, so I'm intriqued. They've managed to involve and flesh out many characters, hinted at suspects that make me want to watch more so that I can find out, and stayed away from the long, boring, silent moments that I mentioned about "The Fall". It's a keeper on my list of "must watch"

I don't know if you do or will get either one in the US, but I do recommend "Broadchurch" for the Canucks. It's on Showcase, either on your TV or online at their site where you can watch all 3 episodes.

http://www.showcase.ca/video/#video

PostPosted: 08/18/13 1:51 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

So I am now at episode 4 in Broadchurch. I am riveted. They certainly keep the viewer guessing, casting suspicion first one way then another as they find evidence. I'm now accustomed to the accents and have had a laugh or two when they use those lovely British terms like "Knob", "Sod" and "Wanker". They've all been used sparingly and appropriately so they are effective in conveying the attitude at the time.

The inspector has become a tad more "human", but they've yet to reveal his problem(s). One is medical, but there's something about another case......
There's some adultery on the part of the Dad of the murdered son. His alibi for the night he was seen near where the body was found.(oopsie!) The Mom is pregnant, but hasn't told anyone but the priest. The priest seems a tad suspicious to me. (I wonder why? :lol ) There are a couple more characters that they've shown talking about something that makes you think it's them or they know something. Minor characters.......so far. ;)

Interesting and probably why it is working so well:

David Tennant explains the production made every effort to ensure the identity of the killer was known by as few people as possible. Even he was kept in the dark until he received the script for the final episode, shortly before filming it,

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/07/broad ... d-tennant/

FOX is going to "remaked" or "Americanize" this. Not sure how well that will be done or received. Probably a great big failure. American tv usually doesn't do BBC series make-overs very well. There are some interesting comments about that at the end of the above linked article. BBC America is showing the UK version now.

There are rumors of a second season. I wish it would become a regular series. Excellent actors, brilliant script and great editing too!

PostPosted: 08/27/13 7:40 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

OMG. I just watched the final episode of Broadchurch. I cannot praise this mini-series enough. The killer was a total surprise and not anyone I had suspected. It was gut wrenching and the acting stupendous. I do hope they do another one.

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ] New Topic Add Reply