It is currently 04/28/24 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: "The Lottery"
PostPosted: 07/16/14 6:45 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

**Disclaimer. Not based on the short story by Shirley Jackson, which I love for it's twisted eeriness and it's quasi-biblical/pagan allusion!

This sounds interesting. Premiering on Lifetime July 20th (here). I don't know any of the cast, but I will give it a whirl and see. I want to know, at the very least, why women have stopped having children. It explores what people will do to "win" a chance at being a surrogate.

Set in a world destined for extinction as women have stopped having children. When remarkably 100 embryos are successfully fertilized, a national lottery is held to decide the surrogates.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3314228/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Post subject: Re: "The Lottery"
PostPosted: 07/22/14 7:04 am • # 2 
Editorialist

Spoiler alert if you plan on watching this later.

First episode was good.

100 fertilized eggs in a world that has become sterile for no discernible reason. A man who is the father of one of the last 6 babies born six years prior. The scientist who fertilized the 100 eggs. Various government officials, including a chief of staff who seems to be an important character.

The scientist is fired as the government takes control of the eggs to run the lottery for surrogates. She finds one of the donors, makes contact, and tells her that her egg is fertilized. The woman wants her embryo. The scientist steals it from the lab with a colleague's key card that she steals from him.

The government finds out about the scientist's contact with the "mother", finds the mother and murders her to make it look like suicide. The scientist finds out the sperm donor for the embryo is the father of the six year old. She finds out about the murder of the mother and tries to run with the embryo. She is kidnapped by government officials......

In the meantime, the father of the six year old missed a call from the school when his son got sick. He was having sex with a woman who was ovulating (another sub-text is how people hook up in a bid to get pregnant, or just to have fun, and they have "bar beds" at bars! lol). The school calls the officials about the son, he is taken away from the Dad and put in a hospital. Dad sneaks in and grabs his son. Now they are on the run.

It will be interesting how they manage to mesh all of the elements of this complicated story. I'll continue to watch for now.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply