It is currently 03/29/24 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: New series reviews
PostPosted: 09/22/16 6:02 am • # 1 
Editorialist

So far we've watched:

Bull: Not sure about it yet. A little "slow" and, for me, a little confusing. I'll give it a couple of more episodes simply because I love Michael Weatherly.

The Good Place: OMG, what crap! Ted Danson has fallen down the rabbit hole with this one. Watched about 15 minutes, then turned it off.

This is US: I think I'll really like this one. I love that it's several stories and sappy/sweet, which I need right now. The acting is great and believable, which draws a viewer into the lives depicted. Hope it stays around. Edited to add: Because I didn't read a thing about this one, I had NO idea of the over all concept. I was very surprised, but won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Fantastic!

Post subject: Re: New series reviews
PostPosted: 09/22/16 12:28 pm • # 2 
I recommend everyone watch at least the premiere of This is US. Sterling K Brown just won an Emmy for OJ. Gives knock out performance here too.

I didn't care for Bull, but I didn't care for the previews or concept. I'll watch on demand a couple more times because Michael Weatherly is cute.

PostPosted: 09/24/16 7:06 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Designated Survivor:

Missed the premiere, but watched it online this morning. Fantastic! Although I got that feeling in my gut that I still get watching 9/11 videos, it's not as strong and the story is compelling. Kiefer is, as usual, great. He portrayed a man thrust into the Presidency spot on. His demeanor and his face played out the feelings from confusion to afraid to determination without saying a word.

PostPosted: 09/29/16 10:12 am • # 4 
I also thought Designated Survivor was pretty good. Keifer and the luminous Natasha McElhone are very good as Everyman and woman thrust into extraordinary roles.

PostPosted: 09/29/16 5:05 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

So, the second episode of Bull was much easier to follow. My fear is that it will get old quickly. Someone accused, Bull and his team psychoanalyze the jury then compose a mirror mock jury where they "try" their client to see what happens. Then they script their defense to appeal to the jurors who may be leaning toward "guilty".

IF they win every time, ugh! If they don't bring in some more story lines beyond the above, it will not hold my interest.

I did see a glimmer of playfulness in Michael Weatherly that served him so well on NCIS, as well as a little more normal "humanity" in his treatment of the client.

PostPosted: 09/29/16 9:17 pm • # 6 
I watched Notorious tonight. Piper Pieraboo of Covert Affairs and Daniel Sunjanti of Rescue Me.

Again I'm not crazy about the basic plot of a news Exec and a big time lawyer conspiring to influence public opinion on his cases.

PostPosted: 10/03/16 10:24 pm • # 7 
Timeless-Admittedly I love Goran Visjnic, who appears to be playing the villain. He was Luka in ER. I'd watch just for him. Jeff said no one would understand that Hindenberg episode. I liked it. I will keep watching.

PostPosted: 10/04/16 9:47 am • # 8 
Editorialist

He was Luka in ER. I'd watch just for him.

I had no idea he was in it....but I second that! lol

PostPosted: 11/05/16 8:28 am • # 9 
Conviction- Ex-first daughter. A genius lawyer with a rebellious streak is blackmailed into taking a position in NY government reviewing questionable past convictions. This show will die before the end of the season, but I don't think it's bad.

Pure Genius - This will also die. Too high concept with the blend of medicine and tech geek.

The Fall Season 3 - Very slow moving Netflix series starring Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dorman (50 Shades of Grey). Gillian's chief inspector in Northern Ireland trying to catch and convict serial killer Jamie. Watch it if you can.

Westworld - Huge beautiful cast on HBO. Where live versus virtual worlds collide. I stopped watching. May or may not return.

PostPosted: 11/05/16 8:33 am • # 10 
The comedies...

Kevin Can Wait - Recycled King of Queens. People like watching Kevin. My only explanation.

Man With a Plan - Tired premise. Wife goes back to work and husband picks it up. People like watching Matt LeBlanc.

The Great Indoors - I didn't even get the concept really. Guy from Community works with social media staffers at his magazine. It follows Big Bang.

PostPosted: 11/05/16 9:54 pm • # 11 
Editorialist

The Fall grates on my nerves. Not only is the series slow moving, but so is the dialog. It's almost as if they must say every word just so and sound stilted. Too dramatic for my tastes. Too dull, with little to no inflection. I tried to watch it, I really did the first season. When one episode spent about 10 minutes on Gillian's character getting ready for bed, with no dialog at all, I quit watching. Not my cup of tea.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply