It is currently 05/16/24 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: New TV Series
PostPosted: 01/11/09 2:40 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I've gotten pretty bored with most commercial TV ~ and even with a gazillion cable channels, there's not all that much to choose from ~ but a summer replacement TV program that I got hooked on has returned on Friday nights ~ FlashPoint is a series about an emergency police team and the crises they confront ~ great character development and story lines ~ truly excellent writing and truly excellent cast ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/22/09 2:43 pm • # 2 
What network is it on? I haven't heard of it. I get pretty bored with TV too, and pretty much only watch House (or its reruns since I didn't get into it for quite a few seasons) or stuff on Discovery and TLC. I also like the stand-up comedy on Comedy Central and sometimes the Daily Show, but that's about it. I don't get any fancy cable though, just the minimum standard package that I have to order to get internet. I've realized it's a LOT cheaper to subscribe to Netflix (or Blockbuster...whichever you prefer) and just rent movies I want to see.

PostPosted: 01/22/09 3:06 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I live in a highrise, Calluna, and our TV reception is via cable ~ so I get upgraded cable TV [including all the HBO stations] "free" as part of my monthly assessment ~ I do pay for my cable internet connection ~

FlashPoint is on CBS ~ I'm on central time and it's on here at either 800p or 900p on Friday nights ~ really complex characters and story lines, with a great ensemble cast ~ I was really happy to see it return on the regular schedule ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/24/09 9:38 am • # 4 
Damages has begun Season 2 and is a very strong series.

Lost has also returned.

PostPosted: 01/24/09 4:05 pm • # 5 
Administrator

KK, I've never seen Damagesbut I've heard a lot about it ~ do you know what network and day it is on?

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/24/09 6:05 pm • # 6 
It's on Wednesday at 10PM on F/X.

If you get Comcast it is On Demand. You can catch up this way.

PostPosted: 01/31/09 12:44 pm • # 7 
I haven't caught it yet, but also don't watch CBS very often. For so long, they had nothing but garbage on, so I almost never even flip to that part of the dial. I'll have to try to remember to check for it on a Friday night.

I was surprised to see LOST back on though. I really never understood why people were so into that show. On the best days, it was confusing, and the worst, boring. I thought it had finally run its course and had come to an end, so didn't expect to see it when I was flipping channels a week or two ago.

What's Damages about? I get F/X, I think, but no "on demand" anything. I'm not sure if I get it because I haven't looked for it since Comcast started moving channels to the digital service, so am not sure if I still get it or if it was one of the ones that moved.

PostPosted: 01/31/09 5:19 pm • # 8 
When lost first started I thought it had a lot of potential. Then it turned into just violence for violence sake.

PostPosted: 02/01/09 8:43 am • # 9 
I think Lost is very good, but you are either into mythology series or you're not. X-Files was my favorite series prior to Lost. They answer a question or two and then ask ten or so more. It's got one more season after this one, so there is a defined end date and conclusion coming.

Damages is about the major cases at the law firm owned by Patty Hewes (Glenn Close). Last year it was about billionaire Ted Danson stealing his employees' pension fund. This year it revolves around the murder of consultant scientist William Hurt's wife and his involvement in a big energy company's conspiracies. It does not reveal much each week either so if you don't like being in the dark, this may not be the series for you.

PostPosted: 02/03/09 5:01 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

I have two new can't miss shows:

Breaking Bad (AMC)
http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/

and True Blood (HBO).
http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/

PostPosted: 02/07/09 3:30 am • # 11 
I didn't even know Lost was about some sort of mythology. I enjoyed X-files, so I don't think that's it. It's more that Lost always seems jumbled and confusing. I never know what the story is...enough so that I never even figured out the genre of the show. Whenever I watch, there's just some plane wreck survivors that reminds me of Gilligan's Island in that they have all this stuff but never can simply put it together to get off their island, and they're always fighting with each other like some lame reality TV show, and then they're jumping at shadows and I never can figure out if the "shadows" are actually supposed to be something, or if it's just their imagination screwing with them because they've been stranded so long.

Maybe it's one of those shows you HAVE to watch in order from the beginning, like a soap opera, to understand. I don't like those shows usually, simply because I am rarely willing to dedicate an hour every week when I'm going to plan nothing but sitting in front of a TV. If I stumble into a show when I'm not doing anything else, I watch it, otherwise, I forget it exists. My boyfriend laughs at me, because he'll call and ask what I'm doing, and I'll tell him something like, "Oh, nothing much, just watching some TV," and he'll ask what I'm watching, and I end up answering, "I don't know." That's because I'm never really JUST watching TV.

I still didn't get to watch FlashPoint yesterday. I thought I had the TV on at that time and was jumping around channels looking for something to watch. I think I kept passing through CBS, ABC, and NBC on commercial breaks, so never even found out what was on them. By default, lately I seem to be landing on either USA with reruns of shows like House and NCIS, or Comedy Central (they've had some good stand-up commedians on recently).

PostPosted: 02/08/09 11:42 am • # 12 

Your comcast coverage doesn't have On Demand? You pick the 44 minutes you want to watch Lost or just about any other series. It is a mythology show and the episodes are not stand alone, therefore you should see all episodes from the beginning to present a coherent picture.

PostPosted: 02/12/09 5:03 pm • # 13 
To get On Demand, you have to pay extra for the digital package. I have no intention of paying that much for mostly worthless TV, so no, I don't have On Demand anything. They're lucky they get me to pay anything at all, and that's only because I don't get anything but one fuzzy channel with rabbit ears. As long as I rent, no rooftop antenna for me...with the whole digital conversion nonsense, that's not even a good prospect anymore...until 3 years ago, I didn't even have cable because I was content with what I got with rabbit ears; my sister and brother-in-law were horrified when they visited me and realized there were only a handful of channels. They thought I was joking when I told them I didn't have cable. They have one of those packages where you get something ridiculous like 500 channels, and I still don't find anything worth watching when I visit them and am usually horrified by how entranced my nephew is with the TV.

PostPosted: 02/13/09 2:51 pm • # 14 
Okay, it's Friday night, I have the TV on, and it's tuned to CBS. Hopefully I'll finally catch Flashpoint and find out if I like it.

PostPosted: 02/13/09 3:05 pm • # 15 
Administrator

It just came on here, Calluna ~ how about where you are?

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/14/09 4:08 pm • # 16 
Yes, it was on at 9 PM EST. Good show. I was doing laundry while watching, so missed parts, but what I saw left me wanting to watch again.

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply