It is currently 05/17/24 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/12/09 6:42 am • # 1 
Administrator

I like Sara Paretsky's writing ~ she is best known for her series featuring V. I. Warshawski, a female PI in Chicago ~ along with interesting story-lines, the recurring theme in each book of that series is morality and humanity ~

Bleeding Kansas is not part of that series ~ it's a multi-generational family saga, telling the story of 3 families which [from the book cover] "... have coexisted for more than 150 years ... Once allies in the fight against slavery, today the [families] disagree on every subject, from organic farming to the war in Iraq, but above all on religion." ~ Parentsky uses a mix of historical fact and fiction ~ but what really sold me on reading this book was the Chicago Tribune review, which said in part: "Paretsky's heroes are deeply flawed and deeply human ... Paretsky's preoccupations remain very much the same in this work as in her Warshawski novels: how greed and hypocrisy hide behind socially sanctioned institutions and beliefs, including big business and organized religion; and how the antidote to hatred and violence is kindness and common sense ... Paretsky makes a convincing case that these are universal truths. Big city, small town, it makes no difference. Evil - and goodness - are everywhere."

I'm only about 75 pages into the almost 600 pages, but so far it is definitely living up to the reviews ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/12/09 10:11 am • # 2 
Cool, I'll have to read it. I usually avoid hers that don't have my favorite PI.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply