It is currently 05/14/24 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Shoah
PostPosted: 02/02/09 7:19 pm • # 1 

This is an eleven hour documentary about the Holocaust. It is not Night And Fog, or some other grizley documentary showing the ravaged bodies, skulls, and mangled corpses. It doesn't have to. The movie interviews those who were in the Holocaust, shows the empty gas chambers, the brutal efficiency of the bureaucratic killing system, and where it took place.

I spent a lifetime studying European history. To do that, great attention must be paid to the tyrannies that cost so many lives in the 20th century. I have seen and read all the best resources, but nothing ever chilled me to the bone like some of the scenes in this documenary. I still cannot put out of my mind one scene. It is nothing but the empty gas chamber, a large room of concrete with fake shower heads, and a vent at the top. The ceiling is about eight feet, and made of concrete. Forever etched in that Auschwitz ceiling are the fingernail scratches of those who tried climbing over the dying bodies hoping to claw their way out of the killing room when the gas pellets dropped.

Shoah. It is well worth the 11 hours. The next time some imbecile uses the word 'Nazi' as some sort of generic perjorative, well, you'll know.

PostPosted: 02/02/09 7:32 pm • # 2 
I saw this when it first came out. A remarkable way to tell and show the true history. These people wanted the stories on film so when all the survivors have passed on, the history will not pass on with them.

PostPosted: 02/03/09 2:43 am • # 3 
There are so many scenes in it that bring the period to life. Even the trains going through the Polish countryside with the people who lived near the tracks who knew what awaited the people in the cattle cars. Or the guard describing how easy it became to herd thousands of people into a death chamber. Practice, and efficiency, made perfect.

PostPosted: 02/03/09 12:08 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I may have to join Netflix to see this ~ Amazon wants $150 and dvdempire [my go-to, best-price dvd outlet] wants $120 for the 4-disc dvd set ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/03/09 12:39 pm • # 5 
sooz, it will break your heart, but I think it's a must see. well worth joining netflix

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply