It is currently 04/28/24 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: For the readers out here
PostPosted: 07/13/11 4:45 am • # 1 
Since the series "24" ended, I have not been watching much television as I am not much of a reality watcher at all but since I received a Kindle for Mothers Day this year I have been reading more than anything.... even more than being on the computer.  I have always been a reader and a collector of hardback books so when I received the Kindle I wasn't sure how I would really like it.  Have I ever surprised myself... I am glued to it and since there are hundreds and hundreds of free books out there to download , what the Kindle has done for me to open me up to authors that if I were buying the books I would not buy as I have always purchased books written by my favorite authors.  So any of you readers out there who might be thinking about buying a Kindle... go for it.  It's amazing, IMO.

PostPosted: 07/13/11 4:57 am • # 2 
Administrator

I whole-heartedly agree, Dee ~ I bought a Kindle several months ago as an act of self-preservation ~ I was being 'space squeezed' by the amount of books I have ~ I, too, have learned to love my Kindle ~ and it was a surprisingly easy/fast adjustment ~ there are still some authors I do and will continue to buy in 'real book' form ~ but I especially like getting books virtually instantaneously and, as you say, trying new authors at no or very limited cost ~ 

As today's 'public service announcement', Amazon offers a free Kindle app for computers [including, I believe, Macs] that gives you access to all books offered for Kindle, including the [literally] thousands of free books and many thousands more for 99cents ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/13/11 11:52 am • # 3 
Editorialist

I've been dropping hints for my birthday in Nov. lol. Also it's not that easy to find every book in large print.Image With Kindle, that's not a problem. 

PostPosted: 07/13/11 1:18 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Right, roseanne ~ easy to adjust font size to what is best for you ~ do you have wireless? ~ if not, be sure to check with Amazon on which model you should buy ~ all models have wireless [and this may have changed by now] but I needed to buy the 3G model [more expensive, of course] because I didn't have wireless when I bought the Kindle ~ since then, we've changed from cable to Direct TV in my building and we now get get 'free' wireless as part of the deal ~ with wireless, you can recharge via electric outlet [vs no wireless and recharging via your computer] ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/13/11 5:49 pm • # 5 
I just heard about the free Kindle app for computers today, which I think is great.   I always have my Kindle in my purse whenever I leave the house as I never know when I just might have a chance to read while waiting for an appointment or waiting on my hubby, etc.

Roseanne, I hope your hints work.  Image

PostPosted: 07/14/11 3:34 am • # 6 
Editorialist

no sooz. No wireless here. Thanks, I didn't know all that.

Dee, if my subtle hints don't work since hubby can be clueless, I'll just go buy it for myself. Can they be bought in a store? If not, I may have to purchase it from Amazon.com and have it shipped to my daughter's before we go down.......if it's cheaper than Amazon.ca, that is. Image  Off to do some research for that..............

PostPosted: 07/14/11 3:44 am • # 7 
Editorialist

Holy shit!! Image There is usually not that much difference for other things. Of course we have the recycling fees, import fees, we-wanna-screw-you fees added to electronics. Still.....................Image

Amazon.com

Buy new: $189.00

Amazon.ca

1 new from CDN$ 379.99

edited to add: Free shipping from .com, not from .ca   like I said, we-wanna-screw-you fees.

PostPosted: 07/14/11 4:28 am • # 8 
Administrator

roseanne, I saw the 3G on amazon.com for $164 just yesterday ~ I noticed the price on the landing page because I paid $189 in early February ~ apparently the newest [as in today's] Amazon offer is $139 'with offers' [not sure what those 'offers' are] ~ check this Amazon link for the newest offer ~ and ftr, I think BestBuy may carry Kindle ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/14/11 9:05 am • # 9 
Administrator

BestBuy does carry Kindle, roseanne ~ same pricing: 3G/wireless at $189 or $139 'with offers' ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/14/11 10:12 am • # 10 
My Kindle came from Amazon.com but I do know that some Walmarts now carry the Kindle as our local one just recently started carrying it.  I think the advertised wireless price was about $120.00 which also contains a WiFi.

PostPosted: 07/14/11 10:43 am • # 11 
Editorialist

Ok, so what does that mean? Image  Do I need a WiFi subscription to use it? I don't have one.

Jesus, Joseph and Mary! I am still trying to sort out my Garmin. LOL, I am rapidly falling behind on technology and I'm not so sure I even want to keep up. Image My web cam was a huge step. Now the Garmin. I feel.............well...............OLD! waaaaaaa

PostPosted: 07/14/11 11:14 am • # 12 
Administrator

All the new Kindles come with wi-fi ~ so you're going to get it, whether you use it or not ~ you can use it wherever wi-fi is offered ~ many coffee shops, libraries, etc offer 'free wi-fi' ~ we have wi-fi in [I think] all public schools here now ~ so I've used it when I'm at our school ~ but not having a wi-fi subscription is why you need to get the 3G model ~

Let me know if you check out the Amazon link I posted earlier ~ I'm curious to know what the 'with offers' are and I'm too lazy to go back and check it out ~ $50 is a big difference, so it might end up being worthwhile ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/15/11 4:53 am • # 13 
Editorialist

What I'm trying to ask: The WiFi feature is for downloads only, right? Other than that, I can d/l from my computer, right? Here are the features, but I don't know which are the "special offers" part. Image Nothing else is specified.

What's Included

[*]Amazon Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) with Special Offers [*]Owner's manual[/list]

Product Features

• 6" display
    With 8 adjustable font sizes provides clear text and sharp images. E Ink Pearl screen technology for a paper-like display that is readable in direct sunlight.
  • Holds up to 3,500 books
    So you can read while you're on the go.
  • Free 3G wireless connectivity
    Allows you to wirelessly connect to the Internet. No monthly payments, no annual contracts.
  • Weighs 8.7 oz. and measures just 0.335" thin
    For easy portability.
  • Up to 2 months use with wireless off and a half hour of reading per day.
    With the included battery.
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
    Allows you to connect to Wi-Fi at home or to hotspots on the road.
  • Special offers
    Display at the bottom of the home screen and on the Sponsored Screensavers feature to alert you to offers without interrupting your reading.
  • Amazon.com Kindle Store
    Offers more than 950,000 books, including best sellers, new releases, audiobooks, periodicals and blogs, as well as more than 1.8 million free pre-1923, out-of-copyright books.
  • Worry-Free Archive
    All books purchased through the Kindle Store are automatically backed up online in your Kindle library on Amazon.com.
  • Whispersync technology
    Allows you to read Kindle books on your Kindle, Apple® iPhone®, iPad®, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, Android or Windows 7 mobile device. Whispersync technology syncs across all devices.
  • Text-to-Speech feature
    Reads English-language passages aloud so you can listen to your favorite books.
  • Built-in dictionary
    Allows you to look up words to ensure clear contextual comprehension.
  • Supports a variety of media formats
    Including PDF, HTML, DOC and MOBI.
  • Apple, the Apple logo and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPod is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.

PostPosted: 07/15/11 6:05 am • # 14 
Administrator

DAMN ~ I had a long [and brilliant ~ Image] post I was rereading before posting ~ and I hit some key[s] that ate the post and logged me off ~ Image ~ but being technically challenged doesn't stop me, so I'm trying again ~

Yes, books are delivered via wi-fi ~ this sounds more complicated than it is, but since you don't have a direct wi-fi connection, you need the 3G connection as a middle step to wi-fi ~ there is no delay ~ you still will get your books virtually immediately ~ you can order books online from Amazon or from your Kindle via your Amazon account ~ you will use your computer to charge your Kindle battery [instead of via an electrical outlet that carries wi-fi] ~

From your last post ...

Quote:
Special offers
Display at the bottom of the home screen and on the Sponsored Screensavers feature to alert you to offers without interrupting your reading.
That tells me you will get 'special offers' [iow, ads] on the bottom of your home page and on the screensavers ~ well worth a $50 discount to me ~ your home page is where all of your titles are stored and where you select which book to read next ~ it also offers other 'menu' options ~ but small ads at the bottom should not be any kind of problem ~ there are maybe 6-8 different rotating screensavers that automatically cover the screen if you're taking some kind of extended break from reading and forget to turn off the Kindle ~ the screensavers automatically turn off the Kindle to protect the battery power ~ a screensaver also appears whenever you do remember to turn off your Kindle ~ again, small ads at the bottom should not be any kind of problem ~

When you decide to stop reading at any time, the Kindle saves where you are in that book ~ so you can just turn it off and next time you turn it back on, you'll be where you left off ~ that's true even if you decide to stop reading one book and read another ~ the Kindle will still return you to wherever you stopped reading in the first book once you select it again ~

I repeat that I know this sounds far more complicated than it is ~ once you have a Kindle in your hands and follow the well-written instructions, it will all make sense ~ and will quickly become intuitive ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/15/11 7:18 am • # 15 
Editorialist

When you decide to stop reading at any time, the Kindle saves where you are in that book ~ so you can just turn it off and next time you turn it back on, you'll be where you left off ~ that's true even if you decide to stop reading one book and read another ~ the Kindle will still return you to wherever you stopped reading in the first book once you select it again ~

But I like dog-eared pages! I guess I would break it trying to do that. Image

Thanks sooz. I always get stressed about any new electronic gadget until I get my hands on it. For instance, we bought the Wii and I was just sure that I couldn't get used to dual controllers. It took me about 5 minutes, LOL.

The Garmin is different, but we play with it a lot so that we can get accustomed to the different features before our trip. My next "experiment" will be to enable the bluetooth feature on the phone and get it connected to the Garmin. Neat feature, actually! We can answer or make calls from the Garmin. I am hoping that the Voice command on the phone will work still, as I don't want to be punching in numbers on the Garmin. We'll see. Image

PostPosted: 07/16/11 2:06 am • # 16 
I was also worried Kindle would be hard to understand but it's a breeze and the books are so easy to download and arrive so fast plus the choices of books is amazing.  While I still purchase my favorite authors, I have read so many free ones from authors I wasn't familiar with that were excellent reading.

PostPosted: 08/30/11 12:09 pm • # 17 
I have read so many books lately but two I just have to recommend.  One is called Suspicions by Christine Kersey and another one is Color Me Murder by Jerry Bruce.  I could not stop reading Suspicions so finished it in one night and started on the other one this morning and am about finished with it.  Both are excellent suspense books.

PostPosted: 09/08/11 2:46 am • # 18 
I have a nook and love it. You can get a refurbished one for 99.00 on Ebay (Barnes and Noble seller) or Buy.com

PostPosted: 09/08/11 2:50 am • # 19 
The nook has Wi-Fi access across the AT&T network. Where ever there is an AT&T tower, you have access. Also at hotspots.

Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ] New Topic Add Reply