It is currently 04/28/24 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/15/11 4:50 am • # 1 
Editorialist

( Sooz, if you find it, feel free to use your magic and move this....I really thought I had a thread started for BB?)

I've been re-watching the earlier episodes in the wee hours of the AM....and staying up way too late as a result. (Even when I know what's coming, it still sucks me right in. lol) I was also really pissed that there were no Emmy nods this year, but it seems that has to do with the timing of the broadcast season-spring vs. summer.

So brace yourselves...here comes Season 4!

AMC's Emmy® Award-winning drama Breaking Bad[/i] will be back with a vengeance this Sun., Jul. 17 at 10PM | 9C. Created by acclaimed writer, producer, and director Vince Gilligan and produced by Sony Pictures Television, the series has been hailed as "TV's best" (Newsday[/i]), "mesmerizing" (LA Times[/i]) and "...among the very elite in television" (San Francisco Chronicle[/i]). Now, in its fourth season, danger has become a way of life for chemistry teacher-turned-drug-kingpin Walter White (Bryan Cranston), who has embraced his drug-world alter ego with chilling purpose. Even his once tranquil family life has taken a dark turn, as Walt continues to juggle his roles as fatherly provider and drug manufacturer.

PostPosted: 07/20/11 4:59 am • # 2 
Editorialist

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cynthia-ellis/giancarlo-esposito-breaki_b_897846.html

Giancarlo Esposito In Breaking Bad's[/i] Fourth Season Premiere: Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid.

Giancarlo Esposito's performance in Breaking Bad's[/i] fourth season premiere was so electrifying that, as Woody Allen once said, "All the blood went out of my face and went to my brother."

You can hold on to your seat, but that is no guarantee that you'll be able to stay in it.

We sit in Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, watching Walter White and Jesse Pinkman go up against their boss and "King-pin" Gus Fring (Esposito) in a moment that is so pivotal and gruesome that... [and suddenly the lights come up[/i]]

Everyone audibly groans, expecting it to be the usual technical difficulties. But it isn't. The commentator yells out, "Is there a doctor in the house?" And now we are afraid. Very afraid. Giancarlo Esposito's acting is so powerful that I begin to wonder if it may have killed someone in the house.

The scene was so epic, so fantastically brutal, that a woman actually had to be carried out. And honestly, who can blame her? But in the end, everyone was fine, and the premiere continued. Actually, it was only fine for those of us in the audience. For those people left onscreen with uber-villain Gus Fring? They were totally on their own.

Out of AMC's "Embarrassment of Riches" (LA Times[/i]Breaking Bad[/i], created by the brilliant Vince Gilligan, is the 120% show. Every aspect of the show, writing, directing, acting, music, and cinematography, is given the most care, attention, and talent possible. 120%.

The premise: a brilliant chemistry teacher is forced to cook crystal meth after being given a terminal lung-cancer diagnosis to pay for his health care and to provide for his family, and slowly becomes someone even he doesn't recognize. If it sounds dark, well, it is. But there is a kernel of goodness that resonates throughout the cast, and throughout Breaking Bad[/i] itself. The show is startlingly funny, and episodes like "The Fly" are as well written as a Beckett play.

Bryan Cranston has won the Best Actor Emmy Award three years in a row now, playing a man in a complete state of metamorphosis. But what kind of energy could one put up against his Walter White, a man of ethics, intelligence and scruples, placed in the most violent and unscrupulous of territories? Enter Giancarlo Esposito playing Gustavo 'Gus' Fring.

More at link.  This episode surprised me.  There's always been a very scary undercurrent to "Gus". You knew it was there, lurking.....

PostPosted: 08/01/11 2:57 am • # 3 
Editorialist

The character of  Mrs.White-initially horrified at the situation-is now toasting to her skills in money laundering. LMAO!! 

PostPosted: 09/27/11 2:49 am • # 4 
Editorialist

Holy chit. Just send Bryan Cranston his Emmy now....

SPOILER ALERT: Before you read this post, turn off [/i]Three Days of the Condor and watch last night's [/i]Breaking Bad.[/i]

In my write-up of last week's Breaking Bad[/i], I looked at how Walt's talk with Walt Jr. pointed up a cruel irony: that he had gotten into the drug business to provide for his family after his death and may have ended up leaving them precisely the legacy he didn't want to. In that case, I was referring to how, in trying to keep Walt Jr. from having the same regrettable memories of him that he had of his own dying father, he ended up replacing them with equally or more regrettable memories.

"Crawl Space" returned to that theme of Walt's bringing about exactly what he was trying to avoid. But not in a figurative, leaving-your-family-with-bad-memories way. More like an oh-my-God-what-has-he-done-and-how-could-anyone-get-out-of-this kind of way.

The closing moments of this episode were harrowing: Walt literally at his lowest possible point, looking up from a gravelike hole covered with dirt, his screams turning to sobs turning to hysterical laughter, as he realizes that he may have destroyed his family by trying to save it. Having sold his soul to ensure they would be provided for after his death, he may have instead — in combination, of course, with Skyler's rash loan to Ted — brought a death sentence on them. Bryan Cranston's reaction as Walt finds out what happened to the money is nothing short of bloodcurdling: it is as if he were already watching his wife and children being murdered before his eyes.

Read more: http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2011/09/26/breaking-bad-watch-pulling-the-rug-out/#ixzz1ZAG7gjm4

PostPosted: 10/11/11 2:36 am • # 5 
Editorialist

What a remarkable job he's done with that character.  (We're going to want him in flashbacks, writers-Please!)

So many interesting possibilities for the last season. Every time I think the writers can't top what they've done, or I think I can predict where they're going, they surprise me.  

'Breaking Bad' Kills It!

Spoiler alert! Giancarlo Esposito tells Maria Elena Fernandez about the electrifying 'Breaking Bad' [/i]season finale, playing a psychopath, and why it's difficult to 'kill' your fellow actors.

PostPosted: 02/21/12 12:45 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!Image

On Sun., Feb. 19, the Writer's Guild of America honored Breaking Bad[/i]with two WGA Awards at their annual awards gala[/url]. The show walked away with wins for Best Dramatic Series and Best Episodic Drama.

Breaking Bad[/i] writers Sam Catlin, Vince Gilligan, Peter Gould, Gennifer Hutchison, George Mastras, Thomas Schnauz, and Moira Walley-Beckett were honored with the Best Dramatic Series award. The competing nominees in the category were HBO's Boardwalk Empire[/i], HBO's Game of Thrones[/i], CBS's The Good Wife[/i], and Showtime's Homeland[/i]. Vince Gilligan accepted the prestigious honor, saying "We wouldn't have a show without Bryan Cranston."

Gilligan was also honored with the Best Episodic Drama award for his work on Season 4, Episode 1, "Box Cutter," finishing in a tie with Showtime's Homeland[/i]. Other nominees in the category included HBO's Boardwalk Empire[/i] and Showtime's Dexter[/i].

On Sat., Feb. 18, the American Cinema Editors society announced the winners of the 62nd Annual ACE Eddie awards honoring excellence in film and television editing, andBreaking Bad[/i] editor Skip MacDonald nabbed the award for Best Edited One-Hour Series for Commercial Television for his work on the Season 4 finale, "Face Off."

MacDonald bested some stiff competition in the category, including Breaking Bad[/i]'s own Kelley Dixon (nominated for her work on Season 4's "End Times"), Angela M. Catanzaro (Friday Night Lights[/i], "Always," NBC), Hibah Frisina (The Good Wife[/i], "Real Deal," CBS), and last year's winner, AMC's Hunter Via (The Walking Dead[/i], "Save the Last One").

PostPosted: 02/22/12 10:29 am • # 7 
That is such a hard show to watch.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply