It is currently 05/04/24 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Puss N Boots
PostPosted: 10/28/11 5:32 am • # 1 
Editorialist

My fave character from Shrek, I want to see this one. I found this review that I just had to post, mostly because of the highlighted sentences, lol.

A Latin lover in leather boots isn't all that funny. But give Don Juan a Johnny Cat sandbox to play in, and suddenly, the whole archetype takes on a mewling new meaning.

Puss in Boots was easily the most beloved character in the whole Shrek franchise because he wasn't just cute, friendly and courageously committed to genuine friendship: he had the depth of character to actually mock himself. Outside of Donkey, he was the only one who could laugh about being an ass.

A little perspective goes a long way, especially when it comes to the over-romanticized notion of big-screen romance, which is why Puss in Boots has so much fun digging its claws into the carotid of Hollywood cliche.

Using classic matinee swordplay movies as its template, this Chris Miller (Shrek the Third) spinoff gives us the story of a little kitty who became a fairy-tale hero. Fade to black. Cue violins.

Puss was just like any other Victorian orphan when he was found, in a basket, outside a home for strays. Blown in by the wind, the kitten found love in the arms of kind Imelda (Constance Marie), a woman who gave all the oddball kids a home — including the one with a strangely rotten smell, Humpty Dumpty (Zach Galifianakis).

Humpty was Puss's first friend, but there was always something devilish about the fellow with the hard-boiled head. Paralyzed by insecurity and his lack of friends, Humpty had a desperate need to prove himself — which is why he obsesses about finding the Golden Goose.

Humpty feels that, if he can retrieve golden eggs, he will make up for his past flaws with material means, and he'll be hailed as a hero. Poor Humpty.

He's destined for a great fall, but the kid with the fragile exterior doesn't know it yet. His vision is obscured by his own gigantic head.

The egg is a beautiful symbol for ego, and Miller cooks it up with just the right mix of child-accessible messages about the importance of honesty and friendship, as well as a sophisticated spice rack of adult-oriented humour.

This is a movie that will appeal to all demographics, because it takes on universal themes and puts them in the absurd form of a cat . . . in boots.

Every single character and player in this film winks at this premise, but it's Antonio Banderas who finally makes it all yowl.

The Spanish actor who played Zorro clearly understands the demands of the character, but, thanks to his time with Pedro Almodovar and Woody Allen (not to mention decades in the business), he's got the dexterity to dance on the edge of the gay blade stereotype and make us giggle.

The key is: He plays it straight. When Puss and Humpty have their dramatic moments reliving their days as orphans, and bonding over a shared dream, the scenes are genuinely moving, because both Banderas and Galifianakis are capable of delivering the goods.

Amy Sedaris and Billy Bob Thornton also get high marks for taking on the roles of Jack and Jill, two good kids gone real bad. Together with Galifianakis, and some vertiginous beanstalk sequences, they bring a real sense of danger to the mix.

For all the big beats, however, this movie never assumes an epic stance. It's never so full of itself that it tries to be more than a smart, slightly subversive, but altogether fluffy piece of entertainment.

From spoofing Hollywood musicals with the idea of a “dance fight,â€

Post subject: Puss N Boots
PostPosted: 10/29/11 10:56 am • # 2 
Editorialist

I like how that's written....and I think I we still have a movie gift certificate around here somewhere......Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply