It is currently 04/28/24 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 02/19/12 6:24 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Going to see it this afternoon with hubby's Aunt. Although it's overall rating is not that great, I read some individual reviewers who raved. The thing that grabbed me in the reviews is something they don't convey in the promos: the boy in the film is autistic. Everyone really praised Thomas Horn's acting, especially those with autistic children.

I'm taking kleenex, lol. First of all the 9/11 always gets me choked upImage, but they say be sure to bring some. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: 02/19/12 6:44 am • # 2 
Administrator

roseanne, I have not seen the movie but will be interested in your review ~

Our old friend, TribalKate, recommended both Jonathan Safran Foer books [this and its predecessor Everything Is Illuminated] to me several years ago ~ both remain on my personal "favorite books" list and I highly recommend both ~ for me, as much as I love Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Everything Is Illuminated is the better read ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/19/12 5:35 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

I thought it was fantastic! No tears for me, but very powerfully emotional. The editing could have been better, imo, but that's my only gripe. I'm sure it was a time thing, since it's still a long movie. 2 hours, 10 minutes.

Thomas Horn has a great career ahead of him. Being so young, yet able to believably portray such deep emotion with  just a look sometimes. Max von Sydow was great too. Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock were in it a lot less than I imagined they would be, but also very important to the story. The bit part players were all great.

It's also all tied up nicely at the end, which I love. One of my gripes with any movie or tv show is "dangly bits" (no, not man parts), Image I like closure.

PostPosted: 02/19/12 5:57 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Wow, I am now even more impressed. I didn't do much research about this movie before, except reading some reviews.

Thomas Horn is even more impressive after reading about his very limited experience:

Actor (1 title)
Self (2 titles)
2011 Made in Hollywood (TV series)
Himself
– Episode #7.12 (2011) … Himself

2010 Jeopardy! (TV series)
Himself - Contestant
– 2010 Kids Week Game 4 (2010) … Himself - Contestant

That's all he's done to date.

To read the awards the movie/actors were nominated for or won, go here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477302/awards

PostPosted: 02/20/12 7:45 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

like it. wanna see it.

PostPosted: 02/23/12 5:51 am • # 6 
Editorialist

mac, there were several kids in the audience. I'd say around 7-12 in age. They were entranced with the film.

I also forgot to say, hubby's Aunt and I got into this theater for a total of $6 (Canadian!) LOL!
They show second runs and they are reel movies, so they aren't the highest quality, but who cares at that price? btw, I think she gave us both a senior citizens discountImage. Aunt is 76, I am.......not Image

PostPosted: 02/27/12 3:24 pm • # 7 
I am always afraid they are going to ask me if I am a senior.   I know it's a vanity thing, but I just don't want to be yet.   LOL!!!!

PostPosted: 02/28/12 12:51 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

lol kathy! I don't care, if it saves me money. Can't go back to the days when I got carded because I looked too young.Image May as well enjoy things at the other end of the spectrum.Image

PostPosted: 03/01/12 4:11 pm • # 9 
I never got in for kid prices as a non-kid.  I was at least 5'7" when I was 12.

Nope, I will pay the extra buck to NOT be mistaken for a senior.   LOL!!!!  Jeff can be a senior, just not me.  

PostPosted: 03/02/12 2:45 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Jeff can be a senior, just not me. Image

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply