It is currently 03/28/24 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: How about a clock?
PostPosted: 11/16/09 8:16 am • # 1 
Sooz or FF: any chance we could have a clock somewhere on the front page that shows what the time is in different time zones? It might make it easier for us to figure out when chats start so we can join in.

PostPosted: 11/16/09 8:25 am • # 2 
Administrator

FF is "under the weather" right now, suffering from the flu ~ and he's our tech genius ~ so it might have to wait a few days, but we can certainly look into it ~ I generally use CST [and try to note that] because that's what I'm on ~ and the "board time" is set to CST because I set it ~ Image ~ you do know, I hope, that you can set your account to reflect any time zone you want, as opposed to "board time", right?

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/16/09 8:52 am • # 3 
Yeah, I'm set at Eastern time but that doesn't help me figure out what time it is for anyone else. I'm a little slow you know. But I thought some kind of clock showing several different timezones (like the four here and in Canada, and maybe time zones covering England and Australia) would be helpful for everyone. Just a thought...

PostPosted: 11/16/09 9:01 am • # 4 
Administrator

Soon as FF is feeling better, pic ~ my only concern/question is where it will fit since we don't use side-bars ~ but we'll see what the options are ~ it's a good suggestion but we need to figure out where to put it ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/17/09 3:10 pm • # 5 
Administrator

You could use this script
https://voicesorchoices.yuku.com/domainscripts/script/id/6/t/Date-and-Time.html
and customize it to our various timezones.
That's the one I used as "World Clock" on CEII

Put it in the header HTML with a DIV tag and place it wherever you want.

PostPosted: 11/17/09 6:04 pm • # 6 
Maybe it could fit near the bottom of the page, next to the flag counter? That way, it's there for those who want it when they need it, but is out of the way when it's not needed? I don't really care if we have one or not, as long as it's out of the way. I have a world clock in my widgets, but only really use it when the boyfriend or I are traveling and we need to coordinate our Skype sessions.

PostPosted: 11/18/09 3:43 am • # 7 
Administrator

jabra2 wrote:
You could use this script
https://voicesorchoices.yuku.com/domainscripts/script/id/6/t/Date-and-Time.html
and customize it to our various timezones.
That's the one I used as "World Clock" on CEII

Put it in the header HTML with a DIV tag and place it wherever you want.

Thanks, Jab ~ that's terrific ~ I'm waiting for FF to feel well enough to play with any coding ~ I'm sure that the thought of ME playing with coding would send him into a coma ~ Image ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/18/09 4:58 am • # 8 
Sorry to have been slow to respond to this.
I have a Drs appointment tomorrow lunchtime and will hopefully get something to counter this throat/chest infection.
It's really getting old now, (and damn sore).

On the massive plus side I have finally stopped smoking after almost 40yrs!
No patches, I've fever slept through the cold turkey and I'm not even slightly tempted. Never thought I'd see the day.

Clocks
I'll admit I have some reservations about where to discreetly place around 8 timezones, (4 American, 2 European and 2 Aus/NZ), on the frontpage.

However ...........
I'm thinking maybe we could put that info in a "Chat Thread" alongside the link to the chatroom.
Am I making sense? Image

PostPosted: 11/18/09 5:22 am • # 9 
Administrator

LMAO @"FishGeek" ~ I'm VERY happy you are on the mend ~ and huge CONGRATS on quitting smoking ~ that's something I need to get serious about, too ~ but your "method" is not very appealing to me ~ Image

Are you saying the clock would actually be in a thread, or in the board title where you click to enter chat? ~ and as to how many time zones: I'm not sure we need that many zones ~ I was thinking 3 US zones [CST, EST, PST] ~ what 4th were you including? ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/18/09 5:56 am • # 10 
sooz08 wrote:
Are you saying the clock would actually be in a thread, or in the board title where you click to enter chat? ~ and as to how many time zones: I'm not sure we need that many zones ~ I was thinking 3 US zones [CST, EST, PST] ~ what 4th were you including? ~

Sooz
"Are you saying the clock would actually be in a thread"
That's what I would be suggesting. Alongside the link to the Chatroom.

"I'm not sure we need that many zones"
you left out "as long as you've got mine, who needs the others?" Image

The fourth major US timezone is "Mountain".
The sequences goes >> "Pacific", "Mountain", "Central", "Eastern". (Then moves onto "Furriners" & "Here Be Monsters!" timezones).

PostPosted: 11/18/09 6:32 am • # 11 
Administrator

Harummmmpppphhhhh ~ guess you told me ~ Image ~ yes, I know there is a MST ~ it just isn't used very often ~

I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to go into a thread to get the time zones ~ I know we [YOU] are limited by what space is allowed ~ but IS there room, to the right or left, of the flag counter or to the right or left of the header headline scrolls? ~ or can it be fit into the space with the title for the chat board? ~ and I want to remind you that you have often declared you love a "challenge" ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/18/09 7:23 am • # 12 
What's wrong with just sticking the clock at the bottom of the page? It would be available for anyone to reference but still out of the way and not encroaching on the more important real estate on the page.

PostPosted: 11/18/09 4:51 pm • # 13 
Administrator

Paste that in the HTML header and be done with it. Image

Calluna+Kathy&up_width=10000&synd=open&w=216&h=80&lang=en&country=ALL&border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&output=js">

Last edited by jabra2 on 11/21/09 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11/21/09 4:35 am • # 14 
jabra2 wrote:
Paste that in a box in the HTML header and be done with it. Image

Image Where's my clock?! Image I feel so left out. Image

PostPosted: 11/22/09 11:11 am • # 15 
Sorry I have been out of the loop lately but I thought I would perhaps clarify my rationale.

When I approached the layout for VoC I put one factor foremost, efficiency.

Gadgets and gizmos which fetch information from other sites need to be kept to a minimum because they slow down page re-draws.
If the external site has an issue it also becomes your issue.
If the gadget is placed on your main page, that re-draw delay or issue is ever present. There is no way to avoid it.
Whether you scroll down to look at the clocks or not, the page still loads them.
That is why I suggested placing clocks inside a thread. That way they do not encumber the entire site if they act up.
In common with all message boards, Yuku runs into it's own server hassles, in my view, it is prudent not to add to the potential for disruption.

All that said, I also do not believe the clocks feature best addresses the problem they were suggested to resolve. Coordinating chat time.
That can be done by simply setting a time and listing it's equivalents across the most common zones.
Example:
"Approximate Meet Time: | 9:00pm EST | 8:00pm CST | 7:00pm MST | 6:00pm PST | 2:00am GMT|"
That tiny text can be located under the Chat header on the main menu, takes no time to load and requires no refresh.

_____oOo_____

Other links
When I chose the newsfeeds, I chose both of them because of the way they handled errors. Both CNN and BBC simply show "undefined" if they run into a problem. They don't hang waiting for a resolution.

Both the VoC Chat buttons were only applied to resolve Yuku hassles which emerged.
1: The failure of some members to access Chat through the standard Chat Header.
2: The replacement off-site Chat option when Yuku Chat died completely.
Absent Yuku problems, those work-a-rounds would not be present either.

The "flags" box at the bottom was an interesting bit of fun initially to give an indication of who was visiting the site. I think it has become obvious that many of those visitors are using proxies which makes it questionable whether is still serves any purpose imo.

The "speedtest.net" icon can let you check whether it's Yuku that's running slow, or your provider. So you know who to kick off at if it keeps up.

PostPosted: 11/24/09 5:38 am • # 16 
jabra2 wrote:
Paste that in the HTML header and be done with it. Image

Calluna+Kathy&up_width=10000&synd=open&w=216&h=80&lang=en&country=ALL&border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&output=js">

LOL! [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif[/img] Thanks! Now I'm all happy again. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply