It is currently 04/23/24 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Requesting a new forum
PostPosted: 01/31/09 3:02 am • # 1 
I enjoy "Sports" on a number of levels. I enjoy the personal stories of those involved, the business/entertainment aspect, the teams involved, the competition, and the politics of it. It is also a tremendous microcosm of life in our country. Another thing I enjoy are the better sports columnists. These folks have a writing style unique in journalism. They are allowed, if not encourageed, to inject humor and critical analysis into their writing. One example is Charles Whitlock who writes for a Kansas City paper, and for Fox Sports. Without fail, by using members and actions of the sports world, he illuminates the nature and state of affairs of race in America better than any Ivy League columnist or NY Times critique. He is African American, but his views are exemplary of what is the real world by covering sports. There are a couple more like that in various sites, particularly CBS.Sportsline.com.

I guess above that, or equal to it, I just love many sports. I watched Ali fight on TV; I have shaken hands with Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, and Woods; I have seen Michael Jordan play. There is a physical poetry in life that the great athletes can show like no other, and those who write about it have a beautiful style like no other.

I wish we had a "SPORTS" forum. Fun, interactive, friendly, and educational.

PostPosted: 01/31/09 4:23 am • # 2 
Administrator

Good suggestion, NC ~ I'll add a "Sports" forum today ~ my ONLY concern is that we not get too fragmented ~ but I think the categories we do have, including your suggested Sports category, are big enough to warrant designated boards ~

Sooz

Last edited by sooz06 on 01/31/09 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01/31/09 4:28 am • # 3 
Administrator

BTW, yuku has some truly terrific functions ~ when I get the Sports board up, I can move your above article to the Sports board, so that YOUR post will "christen" that board ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/31/09 4:44 am • # 4 
Thank you Sooz; not just for regarding my suggestion favorably, but for responding so quickly. I promise to read all the posts, even the ones that deal with grown men trying to beat down a field of grass while standing or running on it, while others pay to watch the grass grow: Baseball.

heh heh.

PostPosted: 04/18/09 5:29 am • # 5 
Hi Sooz, There is a an old adage that sprang from a work of Samuel Taylor Coleridge about "an albatross hanging around one's neck." That is the way I feel about this forum called "Sports". I asked for it, I got it, and now it has taken on the look of a shack left abandoned by drug dealers.

May I officially request that this unused forum be discontinued? Thanks for your attention.

"The world is full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."
Rudyard Kipling

PostPosted: 04/18/09 5:37 am • # 6 
Administrator

Sure, NC ~ I'll merge everything currently in Sports into General ~ we can always try a Sports board again at a later date ~ and, at least for the time being, you and all members should feel free to post sports news in General ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply