It is currently 03/28/24 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: 'Voices or Choices' icon
PostPosted: 02/12/09 4:08 am • # 1 
Editorialist

I hate to complain, but is anyone else bothered by the scrolling 'Voices or Choices' icon?

I use Firefox, so perhaps its different for others, and right now I have 2 scrolling icons on my screen - one in the address bar and one on the tab. I find it distracting.

PostPosted: 02/12/09 4:36 am • # 2 
Please bare with it for now John, When time allows, I'll knock up some alternatives.

It's a new site, the layout has been put together from the ground up in the last couple of weeks.
Inevitably, you try new things, some work, other don't and some just need the wrinkles ironed out.

If you're using Firefox, I'd recommend installing the adblock plus add-on meantime and blocking the icon.

PostPosted: 02/12/09 5:21 am • # 3 
Administrator

FeatheredFish is a BIG advocate for Firefox ~ and I am in the process of weaning myself away from IE7 at his urging ~ personally, none of the scrolling bothers me because it is confined to the very top of the screen and more or less "disappears" as soon as I get into a thread ~ that's just my take but it IS important we know how others feel ~

There might be another advantage to adding/using Firefox's ad-block as well ~ yuku makes its money from ads ~ every new group in yuku gets a couple of "ad free" months ~ once that time expires, ads start popping up IN the posts [I believe the ratio is something like 3 to 5 per thread] ~ groups can maintain "gold" [which is ad-free] status by paying a sliding-scale annual fee ~ since we are small, our annual fee was cheap ~ $54 for the year ~ so I went ahead and paid it once we were up and running [in early December] ~ we will not see any ads in VoC ~ but other groups look to the members to contribute ~ if the sliding-scale fee is expensive, that makes sense ~ but our "gold status" ONLY allows ad-free reading/posting in our group ~ there is also an individual "contributor" [$1/month, $12/annual] status that allows the individual member ad-free viewing in any and all yuku groups [no matter the group status] ~ I'm pretty sure that Firefox's ad-block add-on blocks those ads anyway ~ so, if you use the Firefox add-on you may well never see ads in any yuku group without it costing you one cent ~ we also know that it works because Calluna posted that she configured the ad-block specifically to block the scrollings ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/12/09 6:59 am • # 4 

PostPosted: 02/12/09 8:52 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Thanks for your responses. I didn't expect any immediate changes, just thought I'd see if anyone else felt the same way.

By the way, I regularly go to 3 different Yuku sites and VoC definitely has the nicest design

PostPosted: 02/12/09 9:38 am • # 6 
Thank you for your comments John, all feedback is welcome and very much appreciated.

It's difficult to design for a diverse community and obviously compromises come hand-in-hand with the task.
Without feedback we'd have no awareness of where it's going right, or wrong.

The hassle with the icon is that you only have 16 x 16 pixels area to work within in order to establish a logo/identity.
This is the precise size of that canvas >> Image

As you can see, that is a tiny area and huge restriction. I thought I may have overcome it with the scroll text.
I will definitely do whatever I can to come up with an alternative but thought I would explain the situation and request folks patience and/or suggestions until a bolt of inspiration strikes me.

Given the infrequency of those bolts, thankfully there's always Adblock meantime. Image

PostPosted: 02/12/09 10:00 am • # 7 
Administrator

Thanks for your compliment AND your comments, John ~ while we're waiting for FF's next "bolt" [Image], curiosity prompts me to ask if you have the "ad blocker" add-on ~ I just added it to Firefox using the link in FF's first post here ~ took a couple of clicks and less than a minute ~ it's certainly worth trying it out ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/12/09 11:18 am • # 8 
Editorialist

Sooz, I just added the add blocker too. We'll see how that works.

Featheredfish, believe me when I say I understand the difficulties involved - I spent many years working as a programmer.

Thanks to you both.

PostPosted: 02/12/09 2:09 pm • # 9 
I like the scrolling icons. I hope you keep them. In fact, I really like the whole look of the place.

PostPosted: 02/12/09 2:40 pm • # 10 
Administrator

Thanks, pic ~ I'm really happy and comfortable with it too ~ FeatheredFish is VERY talented ~ and patient ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 02/13/09 11:45 am • # 11 
I found it was very easy to block the scrolling favicon with Firefox adblock (though it took me two tries to get it to stick...if you bookmarked the site with the scrolling favicon, after you block that particular image, re-bookmark it and delete the old bookmark...that seemed to be how it was reappearing). It does take a little time to scroll through all the blockable items to find the one that's the favicon, but if it bugs you, it's a relatively easy and permanent way to get rid of it. When you get rid of it, the default yuku favicon shows up instead.

PostPosted: 02/13/09 6:31 pm • # 12 
Calluna wrote:
I found it was very easy to block the scrolling favicon with Firefox adblock (though it took me two tries to get it to stick...if you bookmarked the site with the scrolling favicon, after you block that particular image, re-bookmark it and delete the old bookmark...that seemed to be how it was reappearing). It does take a little time to scroll through all the blockable items to find the one that's the favicon, but if it bugs you, it's a relatively easy and permanent way to get rid of it. When you get rid of it, the default yuku favicon shows up instead.
Nope.
It will have reappeared because I re-hosted all the site images and buttons for Hawkeye so he could participate despite the filters at work.
You block address, not the image.
If I were maliciously inclined I could've had hours of fun swapping hosts on you. Fortunately I'm too busy to indulge those temptations.

PostPosted: 02/14/09 1:32 pm • # 13 
FeatheredFish wrote:
Calluna wrote:
I found it was very easy to block the scrolling favicon with Firefox adblock (though it took me two tries to get it to stick...if you bookmarked the site with
the scrolling favicon, after you block that particular image, re-bookmark it and delete the old bookmark...that seemed to be how it was reappearing)
. It does
take a little time to scroll through all the blockable items to find the one that's the favicon, but if it bugs you, it's a relatively easy and
permanent way to get rid of it. When you get rid of it, the default yuku favicon shows up instead.
Nope.
It will have reappeared because I re-hosted all the site images and buttons for Hawkeye so he could participate despite the filters at work.
You block address, not the image.
If I were maliciously inclined I could've had hours of fun swapping hosts on you. Fortunately I'm too busy to indulge those temptations.

Image I'm going to have to keep my eye on you.

PostPosted: 02/14/09 11:18 pm • # 14 
Calluna wrote:
Image I'm going to have to keep my eye on you.
In communist Russia America the eye keeps an eye on you.

Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they're not watching you.

Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ] New Topic Add Reply