It is currently 05/05/24 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
PostPosted: 06/14/12 12:32 am • # 1 
Editorialist

This morning in start-up, I couldn't get a screen. I thought it was my monitor, so I unplugged everything and plugged it back in after doing a manual shut down. After start up, I got the safe mode option, but by-passed that. Then it automatically went into CKDSK mode. Now it's fine, but I"m sure it's an indication of.........something. Not good anyway.

Our computer is old (like us lol) so we are considering one of two things, either a tune up with some added RAM or a new computer. I do like laptops, but do they have the same capacity as desktops now? What sort of things should we look for? I game, but nothing graphically intensive. Would it be better just to take this one in for a tune up and some added ram or buy a new one?

OR, do I just need jab? Image

PostPosted: 06/14/12 12:31 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

Ok, here's what happening from the get-go:

Start computer and it seems to be booting. Black screen,  monitor shows blue light like it's getting a signal, but there are no images, no cursor, no nuttin. Image

After doing a manual shutdown, monitor cable unplugged on the back (including power cable), start again and it's all good. This happened twice with the same actions and results.

Any ideas? Monitor? Monitor cable? Power supply?

Edited to add: We are bringing home the monitor from work tomorrow. If it works, that tells me it's either the monitor or the cable on mine.

PostPosted: 06/14/12 12:53 pm • # 3 
Administrator

roseanne, this is really a problem for Jab ~ I just checked and he hasn't been in here since Tuesday, so I suggest you PM him ~ but I do have one question: are you using a modem? ~ modems frequently "go bad" ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/15/12 2:33 am • # 4 
Administrator

Probably the best solution to try first with a known "good" monitor. Apply immediately at Microsoft as support agent. Image
Seems like Windows booted up without screen, and when you shut down (since you couldn't see anything) Windows initiated a safe boot the next time since Windows wasn't shut down correctly.
Monitors most times crap like that, don't start, next time they do, then again no screen etc. when their internal power supply loses one capacitor after the other.
Material to fix that runs about 2 - 3 bucks if you have a solder iron.
But let's see if your other monitor runs fine and go from there.

PostPosted: 06/15/12 2:50 am • # 5 
Editorialist

sooz, I don't think it's the modem, since that would also cause computer problems and I"m not having any. Just the monitor. However after swapping out video cables and no results, I called customer support and she had me do a sort of "reset". Pulled the power cord, held the button on the monitor "on" button for 30 seconds, repowered and viola'! So far, so good. However she said it could be a bad video card in the monitor which was manufactured in 2007. Can't remember when we got it, lol. Windows says that my on board video card is good.

We'll see. She also suggested trying a different monitor on my computer, just to be sure. We'll do that if it's crap at lunchtime. I left it all running.

PostPosted: 06/15/12 11:40 am • # 6 
Editorialist

So, we got a new monitor. An HP 20" LCD for $139 (including recycling fee, taxes and extended warranty). lol, it's much smaller than the old one, but I always felt intimidated by that monster. Image

Everything working well and the images are SHARP! Now, I just have to get my brightness/contrast adjusted just right and I'm good. It would also help if I would clean my glasses...........Image

PostPosted: 07/30/12 5:07 am • # 7 
Call me a dinosaur but I'm sticking with desktops.

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ] New Topic Add Reply