It is currently 04/28/24 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/11/12 9:33 pm • # 1 

I have a problem with .wmv (Windows Media Video). There is no sound.

I tried reinstalling Windows Media Player from Microsoft, but that didn't solve the problem.

I DO have sound with .3gp (cell phone videos) and other types, such as .mp3.

I also have sound when I watch videos online at YouTube, etc.

So, there is something wrong on my computer specifically with .wmv.

Taking a chance that the sound is really there, but just not audible on my computer, I recently combined about 10 short .3gp videos that I took with my phone into one large video using Windows Live Movie Maker. But when I uploaded the completed .wmv video to YouTube, there was no sound!

Any suggestions, short of my buying a new computer? Lol.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 10:39 am • # 2 
1) What operating system are you running? (XP, Vista, Win7, Win8)?

2) What version of WMP?

It sounds like the Codec pack may be corrupt. Try a different media player like VLC Lan.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 1:34 pm • # 3 
I'm using Windows 7.

The issue is not so much that I want to view videos. Rather, how do I make videos (combine many small .3gp videos together to make one longer video) without using Windows Movie Maker? The output of Windows Movie Maker is .wmv.

I want to be able to upload my finished videos to YouTube or e-mail them to people.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 4:18 pm • # 4 
SciFiGuy... You can use VLC to convert videos to mp4 or mpg and that opens up a lot of options for editing and post production. I have Adobe Premiere CS3 and it works fine in an mpg environment. Fish around on Google for open source editing suites.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 9:28 pm • # 5 
Oh, okay. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

By the way, as you saw in my post upstairs, I'm going to get a new computer next week anyway. This is only the latest of a long list of problems I've been having lately with this computer.

I can't even install updates because one of the Windows updates causes all videos to stop working, such as at YouTube and Facebook. The update has an Adobe update built right in, and that Adobe update causes the videos to not work. It's not possible to separate out that Windows Adobe update from all the other updates, so I am forced to not install any Windows updates since last summer!

Other problems include a Webcam that doesn't work, a battery that won't charge, and other stuff.

It's time to get a new computer. lol. I've had this one since Vista first came out. I upgraded it to Windows 7.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply