It is currently 04/28/24 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/26/12 6:06 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I've installed Malwarebytes and Spybot. Any recommendations for anti-virus?

(Windows 8 is very different from what I'm used to. With the exception of now being able to use my Big Fish Games subscription, I think I like Linux better.)

PostPosted: 11/26/12 6:23 pm • # 2 
Administrator

CONGRATS, PIC!

My new computer came with 1 free year of Kaspersky antivirus, so I'm using it ~ but soon as I approach the end of the free year, I'm returning to the free version of Avast ~ in the [I think] 3 years I used Avast, I never had any problem with it and never had any cooties ~ I'd also suggest installing AdvancedSystemCare, which is another scan ~ I did upgrade from the free version to the Pro version [for something like $8 for the year] because the Pro version offers more tools ~ but ASC's "quick scan" is the scan I run daily, and frequently more than once a day when I'm online a lot ~ it takes about 1 minute ~

As for Windows7, I learned Win7 and a new computer at the same time as we moved VoC here ~ it was a fairly easy adjustment once I figured out Win7 does everything the opposite of XP ~ everything that was on the left is now on the right, tabs are on the top instead of the bottom, etc ~

Sooz

Sooz edit: I originally mistakenly said I learned Win8 ~ my new computer came with Win7, not Win8 ~ I have not used Win 8.

PostPosted: 11/26/12 6:43 pm • # 3 
Administrator

laffinalltheway wrote:
I've installed Malwarebytes and Spybot. Any recommendations for anti-virus?

(Windows 8 is very different from what I'm used to. With the exception of now being able to use my Big Fish Games subscription, I think I like Linux better.)

My DVD burner would now run hot with burning recovery disk, drive image and what not, so I could rebuild the computer anytime to a clean, fresh install (after all windows updates etc are done.

Yes, I'd get Avast as the only anti-virus program

PostPosted: 11/26/12 7:20 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

I burned a Win8 system repair disk and I think I burned the recovery disk - honestly, i couldn't tell if it had burned to the dvd or not. I'll try again tomorrow.

Did all the Windoze updates and will download Avast. Will that interfere with Win-defender which is on my computer?

PostPosted: 11/28/12 8:48 pm • # 5 
I think I'm gonna get an oil lamp. :g

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply