It is currently 05/18/24 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/23/12 6:07 pm • # 1 
Administrator

ARGHHHHH! ~ I was perfectly happy with Avast, but my new computer came with a free year of Kaspersky ~ so I was using it but I've been frustrated with Kaspersky because it interfers with Pogo games ~ so today I switched back to Avast ~ no problems loading ~ I didn't change any settings, but when I ran ASC after removing Kaspersky and reloading Avast, there were a alot of registry problems ~ which ASC fixed ~ but now I can't access Hotmail or gmail ~ HELP PLEASE!

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/23/12 8:06 pm • # 2 
Administrator

incompatible or defective Internet Explorer add-ons might be interfering with the website. If you turn these add-ons off, you might be able to view websites again. To automatically disable a list of known incompatible add-ons, run the Internet Explorer Add-on Fix it. When asked whether you want to run or save the file, click Run, and then follow the steps in the wizard.
Fix this problem
Internet Explorer freezes or crashes

If running the Fix it above did not resolve your issue, changes to your Internet Explorer options might prevent you from viewing your email website. You can reset Internet Explorer to its original settings to remove any changes to Internet Explorer without deleting your favorites or feeds. To automatically reset Internet Explorer settings, run the Reset Internet Explorer Settings Fix it. When asked whether you want to run or save the file, click Run, and then follow the steps in the wizard.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2483955

PostPosted: 12/23/12 8:38 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Thanks, Jab ~ date and time are correct ~ no problems found with Fix-It ~ Microsoft left me hanging for several minutes so I hung up ~ but I'll try again in the morning ~ since this happened following me uninstalling Kaspersky, I'm guessing that's the problem ~ I'll let you know what I find out ~ thanks for trying ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/24/12 12:00 pm • # 4 
Administrator

I just spent [literally] 3 hours 11 minutes on the phone with a Microsoft help desk tech ~ she was WONDERFUL [and, best of all, Canadian ... so I could understand her!], but she is as stumped as I am ~ and as Jab is ~ there is some connection that was likely corrupted when I uninstalled Kaspersky ~ she has "elevated" my problem to the next higher level ~ since I didn't want to claim this was an "emergency" and ruin some tech's Christmas, I said a call-back on Wednesday is fine ~ we ended the long conversation with her saying "you win the prize for STRANGE problems" ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/24/12 12:10 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Did she check your "host file"?

PostPosted: 12/24/12 12:29 pm • # 6 
Administrator

I don't know, Jab ~ I was sitting here the whole time she was checking/trying everything she could think of to check/try, but she was flying ~ we both think the problem is with IE, since I can access everything with both Chrome and FF ~ but when she tried to uninstall IE9 to reinstall it, it doesn't appear in programs ~ so if IE is corrupted, we can't uninstall it ~ she checked with her supervisor a couple of times and then tried everything suggested ~ we did uninstall Avast, in case there was an incomplete install yesterday ~ but when we tried to reinstall it, there was a message that an updated version was already downloaded ~ so I'm currently using Microsoft's Essential Security free version until the higher-ranked tech takes a look on Wednesday ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/25/12 9:51 am • # 7 
Administrator

I know many here love FF and hate IE, but IE remains my browser of choice ~ but here's an interesting observation ~ I run AdvancedSystemCare regularly ~ even a couple times a day if I'm online for long periods ~ since I've been using Chrome or FF for the past couple of days, I am getting several hits on "malware" and "registry problems" [which I only rarely got with IE] and MUCH higher hits on "junk" ~ I'm not sure if the difference is definitions used or if using Microsoft's Essential Security free version factors in ~

I'm supposed to get a Microsoft call-back tomorrow morning, and I'm fervantly hoping I can get back to "normal" ... whatever "normal" is ~ :b

Sooz

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12/26/12 5:26 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Okay ~ I am [at least for the moment] a huge fan of Microsoft ~ the tech called me at 830am this morning ~ he went thru much of the same routine the first tech went thru, then tried a few other things ~ at about 100pm, he decided the operating system was too corrupted by the Kaspersky uninstall and told me he was going to do a full replacement of Win7 ~ said it was all automatic, that at the end of clean install it would ask me a few questions, instructed me to "skip" activation for now, and said he'd call me back in a couple hours ~ the install was finished in about another hour but after skipping activation I kept getting dire error messages that the version of Win7 could not be authenticated ~ he called back when he said he would, asked me if everything was working ... and I said "no, there are new problems" ~ he said there can't be ~ so I told him about the error messages and that IE was still not working ~ THEN he told me "no biggie about the error messages, I wanted to make sure everything was working before I activated this copy of Win7" ~ then he said he was also going to remove IE9 and that it would be readded when I did the updates at the end ~ took him another 20 minutes or so, then said "everything is in pristine condition, but call us back if you have any more problems" ~ first thing I did was install the 66 updates ~

Everything is again working as it should ~ and I am [currently] a very happy camper ~ :happydance

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/26/12 6:06 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Now would be a good time to make a image and burn it on DVD or store it on a different drive.

PostPosted: 12/26/12 6:16 pm • # 10 
Administrator

For sure! ~ I'll do that tomorrow ~ thanks, Jab ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ] New Topic Add Reply