It is currently 05/18/24 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 04/30/13 12:28 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

When I post a comment, I get the "This message has been posted successfully" and then it takes me out of that thread.

Is there a way to change this? When I post a message, I like to check to make sure it was saved the way I expected, in case I made a mistake.

If this works this way because it is what most prefer, I can accept that.

PostPosted: 04/30/13 2:05 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

John, there is a "preview" button right beside the "submit" one. :D You see the way it will post and can then edit your post as needed, which will be below the preview.

PostPosted: 04/30/13 2:52 pm • # 3 
Administrator

I'm having one of my near-famous "hazy recollections" that I asked about that, John, and was told it would take a lot of coding to change it ~ hopefully, Jab will weigh in on this thread and take another look ~

roseanne's advice about using the "preview" function is right on the mark ~ you click "preview" to see how your post will post withOUT seeing any coding you may have added for effects ~ you can make any changes without using the "edit" function since your in-progress post is right below the preview ~ and you can preview and edit repeatedly ~ it doesn't take long to get used to using "preview" ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/30/13 3:24 pm • # 4 
Administrator

The "preview" function is imo the best way to check your post. The board is set-up that way. It even tells you if someone posted something in that thread while you were composing a reply and gives you an option to include such posts.

Changing the code to automatically get back into the thread would probably break the coding for future updates of the board software.

PostPosted: 04/30/13 3:46 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

I meant to say how much I love the "alert" about another post when you try to post your own. It saves duplicate posts or gives you a chance to alter your post.

The problem is that I often don't SEE that it's an alert and not the usual "this message has been posted successfully". I'll log out thinking that I posted mine and it's not there. LOL!

jab, could you make the "another post has been made" alert come up in red? At least then I would notice the damn thing. ;)
If that's not an option, ,maybe you could have it SHOUT it out or poke me or something? :rollin

PostPosted: 04/30/13 5:40 pm • # 6 
Administrator

That's a tall order, but let me see what I can do.

PostPosted: 04/30/13 7:22 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Thanks, folks.

I guess I can use the preview button.

That's the one marked "Preview", right? ;)

PostPosted: 05/06/13 8:10 pm • # 8 

I'm with John here. Even though I preview my posts, I still like to see the finished product -- just to make sure it posted, and posted correctly. Hence, I return to the thread to make sure.

I would be willing to bet most people do this.

I don't know if this board has to pay for anything per page view (such as paying to keep the board ad-free), but if you do, you're getting a lot of unwanted and unnecessary page views by our not staying within the topic after we post. But even if you don't, it's simply an inconvenience to the members to need to return to the thread after posting.

PostPosted: 05/07/13 10:36 am • # 9 
Administrator

Our annual rate is not based on page views ~ we pay a flat annual rate and are 100% ad-free ~ also, it would be a far bigger inconvenience for all of us if regular/timely updating was impacted because of tinkering with the basic code package ~ see Jab's above post ~ and, keeping things in perspective, we're only talking about 1 extra click and maybe 5-10 seconds of time ~

Please don't misunderstand ~ we want to hear your suggestions, but sometimes what seems like a simple "want" has not-so-simple consequences ~ Jabra gets the "final call" on all things "techy" ~

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply