It is currently 04/28/24 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: My poor mom....any tips?
PostPosted: 06/29/13 9:42 am • # 1 
Editorialist

So, her desktop computer died (Windows corrupted? Couldn't be fixed?) and she wound up getting a laptop, that came with (drum roll please...) Windows 8. She's LOST.

I've been looking up tips and articles for her, and it seems she's not alone...lots of folks who know way more are just as confused. I know relaying info like this is a PIA...but any advice on today's questions would be appreciated.

1) The store supposedly moved all of her "stuff" from the old computer to the new one. But she can't find any of the "Saved" messages that were in her e-mail (was Outlook Express, is now some Win8 mail). There are no folders, or she can't find them.

2) There's no toolbar anywhere...is there a way to get one?

3) She still has her WinXP disc....can they load *that* onto her new laptop, and ditch Win8?

PostPosted: 06/29/13 10:15 am • # 2 
Administrator

She needs to sue Bill Gates for this win8 joke of an operating system.
I believe I right clicked on top right or right edge until there were some icons to click again.
I fixed some kid's laptop so it's at least useable but refuse to touch that stuff again.
WinXP is prbably too old to put on the laptop but win7 might be a good choice.

PostPosted: 06/29/13 11:10 am • # 3 
Editorialist

So it can have Win7 installed? Even if it came with 8 pre-loaded?

PostPosted: 06/29/13 11:19 am • # 4 
Administrator

Chaos, spend time culling thru the Windows 8 Tips thread in Andrew's OurBoard Support group ~ it was posted by SciFi, which I think he authored when he got his own new computer with Win8 ~ there is a lot of info that might help in that thread ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/29/13 12:21 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Thanks sooz and sci-fi....

I sent her the link, but I don't think she'll understand a lot of that. Put it this way....she's calling ME for advice. :eek2

I think Win7 is her best best, if they can.

PostPosted: 06/29/13 1:03 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Dang, I have a link at work about your downgrade right to install Win7. Not all computers will allow that.

Here is a good link from Microsoft explaining downgrade rights (I think this is the one I have bookmarked at work):

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensi ... 4NwfY_nI_X

PostPosted: 06/29/13 1:41 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

Thanks roseanne!

Still no luck on finding her "Saved" e-mails. :(

PostPosted: 06/29/13 6:24 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

I haven't done anything with Windows 8, but it must have a search function. That's worked wonders for finding almost anything I've misplaced, or just didn't know where it was to begin with, in Windows 7.

PostPosted: 06/29/13 9:17 pm • # 9 
Editorialist

grampatom wrote:
I haven't done anything with Windows 8, but it must have a search function. That's worked wonders for finding almost anything I've misplaced, or just didn't know where it was to begin with, in Windows 7.

Oh I'm sure it does...somewhere.... :(

Gramps, I had to get online and look up how to shut it down. She's not the only one stumped on that either, I found plenty of articles!

PostPosted: 07/03/13 1:31 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

:( Okay, she gives up and is having Win 7 installed. But they insist she has to PAY for the program and PAY for the installation...then PAY again to have all her "stuff" moved. WTH?

She spent two hours today trying to figure out how to send an e-mail (couldn't figure it out) and her printer isn't communicating, even though the kid told her it would. She forgot how I told her to shut it down, called the store and some *other kids* tells her to just hold the power button and do a forced shutdown.

PostPosted: 07/03/13 4:04 pm • # 11 
Administrator

Can't she return the damn thing?

I just read up a bit about win8's idiotic interface and I can't see a way that a non-techie can use that system.
There is no email program coming with win8. It's now "web-based", meaning the messages are stored on a server and a internet browser is used to read/write emails. What kind of email is she using? Gmail, outlook.com or what?
See if you can get that. There is a way to set up Thunderbird as POP3 program. Of course we'll need to find out where the "kids" moved her stuff to.
Maybe a cloud account?

Holding the power button to shut-down the system is a sure way to sooner or later experience file corruption. Was that a brainiac from the Geek Squad?

PostPosted: 07/04/13 10:55 am • # 12 
Editorialist

Last I heard, the took the whole thing-including the printer, LOL-back to the store to get Win 7 put on, etc. But I'll ask her what e-mail she has, jab.

Yesterday, she calls to ask me why the laptop battery warning is coming up. I ask if it's plugged in. She didn't understand that the phone jack (they're on dial up, no wireless) and the power cord are two different things.

I'll say this much, she's making me feel smart lately. That's scary!

PostPosted: 07/09/13 4:49 pm • # 13 
Chaos... always remember: You always stand a good chance of being smarter than someone else. ;)

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ] New Topic Add Reply