It is currently 05/03/24 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: 11/13/14 8:55 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Ok, so I booted up computer. Normal. I surfed my usual websites, Normal. I watched an online tv show video. Normal. Then I came back here to read/post and my toolbar and taskbar weren't anywhere to be found.

When I clicked on my "widows" key on the keyboard and went to control panel, my taskbar showed, but not the toolbar. I did a system restore and all seems well....BUT! I had an update of my AVG, which switched my homepage to their search page. I cannot get my control panel to load now to change that.

PS: I did a windows update yesterday, but everything was fine last night and earlier this morning. : :eyes

PostPosted: 11/13/14 9:17 am • # 2 
Administrator

Jab needs to weigh in on this, roseanne ~

But here's a couple of things that have worked for me when things "disappear" ~ hold down Ctrl and F11 at the same time ~ or try clicking on the gear icon in the upper right corner ~ after you click on that, click on "internet options" ~ the first screen you get there should be for setting your default page ~ be sure to finish by clicking "apply" ~ I generally go to programs to UNinstall the program forced on me, but NOT before switching back to my preference ~

Also, many updates include sneaky [new] defaults, usually in the form of a "choice" [make <whatever> my <whatever>] but with the box checked as the default ~ you need to be vigilant in UNchecking that box on everything/anything you don't want to change ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 11/13/14 9:56 am • # 3 
Editorialist

LOL sooz. I didn't have the "gear" icon. I had nothing, no fave star, no home page button. Just this page showing. I couldn't close it because I also had no "x" and no address bar.

I DID actually make sure the items were unchecked and even checked the box that says "do not suggest, blah, blah" but it would not let me apply that, so I just hit cancel with the boxes unchecked. It still applied it. :angry

I finally got my control panel to load and made the switch to my Google homepage. Had to disable my antivirus to do the restore and then, guess what? Windows update was still sitting there when I came to work. I'll see when I get home, but I'm pretty sure the update didn't do this because it worked fine for hours afterwards yesterday and this morning for a while.

For all I know, I hit a key that does that............ :o With my work laptop, I am always accidentally hitting keys that do funky stuff when I'm trying to type. roflmao! My little fingers, that are slightly deformed (missing the lower knuckle, a genetic anomaly) have a mind of their own sometimes.

PostPosted: 11/13/14 8:52 pm • # 4 
Editorialist

Ok. So did the Microsoft update again and so far, so good. I'm still thinking it's a "hot key" that I hit....or maybe two together. When I am trying to type too fast, my fingers stumble over each other.

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ] New Topic Add Reply