It is currently 05/18/24 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 62 posts ]
 Post subject: Re: Win10
PostPosted: 01/16/16 4:34 pm • # 51 
Administrator

I believe you have thirty days to revert to your old OS.
I did that after only a few days and it screwed up everything. Had to do a complete re-install of win 7.
It might have worked correctly on a pristine computer.
I'll stick with win7 and maybe go Linux after support runs out completely

PostPosted: 01/16/16 4:41 pm • # 52 
Administrator

Looks like I'm screwed, then.

PostPosted: 01/16/16 5:03 pm • # 53 
Administrator

oskar, is it safe to assume you updated to Win10 via the automatic update? ~ if so, I think there is a way to reverse updates ~ but, just in case, do you have a Win8.1 disc to reinstall, if necessary?

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/16/16 5:23 pm • # 54 
Administrator

Nope

PostPosted: 01/16/16 6:04 pm • # 55 
Administrator

oskar, is there a BestBuy store in your area? ~ several friends swear by its Geek Squad for getting solid advice ~ if they can't revert you back to Win8.1, they could know how to tweak your software to work with Win10 ~ it certainly cannot hurt to give them a call or stop in and ask for their advice ~ you could/should also check the software providers' websites to see if they have suggestions for tweaking their software ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/16/16 10:12 pm • # 56 
Administrator

Mentioning Geek Squad makes my hair stand up.
I just downloaded a copy of win7 from the intertubes including some activation hack and Microsoft says I'm having a genuine version.

PostPosted: 02/18/16 5:16 pm • # 57 
So far.... no screw ups. Everything is working as intended. I'm not saying anything else because I don't want to screw up my luck.

PostPosted: 03/12/16 5:34 pm • # 58 
Administrator

Sid, I've pretty much decided I'm sticking with Win7 for the foreseeable future ~ I know Win7 and I like it ~ I know if I hated Win10 I could switch back within 31 days of "upgrading", but I don't want to go thru the problems and frustrations that Jabra and others did/are ~

Sooooo to help me finalize my decision, what new features does Win10 have [beyond a touch screen, which I do not have or want] ~ and, more importantly, do you use the new features?

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/12/16 5:40 pm • # 59 
Administrator

I should have added my current computer is only a couple of years old ~ it runs well and has a HUGE hard drive [2T] ~ in addition, my building is rewiring/upgrading our cable/internet service this spring/fall to fiber optics ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/16/16 2:40 pm • # 60 
sooz06 wrote:
Sid, I've pretty much decided I'm sticking with Win7 for the foreseeable future ~ I know Win7 and I like it ~ I know if I hated Win10 I could switch back within 31 days of "upgrading", but I don't want to go thru the problems and frustrations that Jabra and others did/are ~

Sooooo to help me finalize my decision, what new features does Win10 have [beyond a touch screen, which I do not have or want] ~ and, more importantly, do you use the new features?

Sooz

There's a long list of new features primarily surrounding functionality. A Win 10 PC can integrate with any other Win 10 device, including phones and phone apps. What I like most about it is that it runs practically any program, even programs I've had since Win 95! I'm running a scanner that I've had since 2002 that can do things I can't find on other scanners. It wouldn't run in Win 7 or 8 but it works flawlessly in Win 10. The interface is clean - file searching is quick (which comes in handy when you have a big 2T drive). I have it on both machines and when you do upgrades, you can set them to be picked up from each other rather than downloading them twice. So, if I do updates on the PC, when I open the laptop, most of the updates come over my network from the PC rather than the MS server. One of the main things I like about Win 10 is that it's the last OS for MS. As hardware develops the OS will be adapted but will still maintain its backwards compatibility.

As for layout... it's virtually the same as Win 7. If you know your way around Win 7, you will transition easily to Win 10.

Then there's Cortana... I shut it off. That's all I'll say about it. I find the concept repugnant.

PostPosted: 03/25/16 7:42 pm • # 61 
Administrator

A handy little tool for Sooz...

Keep Win10 at bay: GWX Control Panel
I installed it and it works fine, getting rid of annoying win10 stuff, yet always reversible in case you do want to upgrade.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3046432/ ... tml#slide2

PostPosted: 03/26/16 10:34 am • # 62 
Administrator

Thanks, jab ~ :fl ~ the GWX control panel is now on my desktop ~

While the icon is gone from my task bar, I did get both the original "offer" and the same "update" I eliminated yesterday back as "important updates" when I checked for updates earlier today [probably because I changed from "automatic updates" to "alert me"] ~ :g ~ I'm guessing you might have gotten them too ~ it's not a problem but it IS annoying ~ oh well, just more proof we don't live in a perfect world ~

Sooz

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3   Page 3 of 3   [ 62 posts ] New Topic Add Reply