It is currently 04/24/24 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 62 posts ]
 Post subject: Win10
PostPosted: 06/03/15 8:31 am • # 1 
Administrator

Yesterday, I got a notice from Microsoft to "reserve" my free copy of Win10, which I understand is getting rave reviews ~ my favorite os to-date is still XP, but I admit the transition to Win7 was easy ~

Today, I got an email from Microsoft that my copy is reserved, it will be downloaded after July 29th, and I can install it at my convenience ~ today's email includes several videos to familiarize myself with Win10 [none of which I have watched yet] ~

I'm thinking I'll wait until after I read more user reviews to install it ~ the one thing I'm a bit hesitant about is that Microsoft is introducing a new browser in Win10 ~ even with all the bad press IE has gotten over the years, I've always found it to be the most intuitive ~ we'll see ~

Sooz

Post subject: Re: Win10
PostPosted: 06/03/15 7:51 pm • # 2 
I plan to do the download on my laptop first to see how it goes. I have a Restore disc at the ready just in case. I get a little uncomfortable when Microsoft tells me that I have nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: 06/05/15 5:05 am • # 3 
Administrator

Indeed. I just got an "update" this morning (Win8.1)... 120 effing patches. That tells me Microsoft is as incompetent as ever.

PostPosted: 06/05/15 7:15 am • # 4 
Administrator

oskar, do you regularly check for updates or have them set to "automatic"? ~ 120 patches seems like a lot ... unless it's a fix that runs across most of the system ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/05/15 10:06 am • # 5 
Administrator

sooz06 wrote:
oskar, do you regularly check for updates or have them set to "automatic"? ~ 120 patches seems like a lot ... unless it's a fix that runs across most of the system ~

Sooz

Automatic.
Or it might be Microsoft co-operating with the Harper CONservatives snooping my computer for my anti-Harper activism. ;)

PostPosted: 06/09/15 1:54 pm • # 6 
It could well be "preconditioning" for Win 10 when it becomes available.

PostPosted: 06/14/15 5:02 am • # 7 
Administrator

Designed for super snooping, no doubt.

PostPosted: 06/17/15 11:35 am • # 8 
I plan to give them something to see. ;)

PostPosted: 06/17/15 12:28 pm • # 9 
Administrator

I've learned a bit more [but still have not watched any of the emailed videos] ~ Win10 will be automatically downloaded some time after July 29th for those [like me] who have "reserved" a copy ~ we'll be notified when it is downloaded and ready to install, but will have up to a year to install it ~ that will give us time to see how others are reacting, problems confronted, etc ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/02/15 7:18 pm • # 10 
Editorialist

I've had the notice sitting on the office computer for a few weeks now, but it just appeared on my home computer. I think I'll reserve the free download and wait to see too.

I've still got to check my update settings and such so that it can download. Too tired to do that today.

PostPosted: 07/12/15 9:50 am • # 11 
Editorialist

So, I've been thinking and since I trust MS SO much :sarcasm , I wonder what will happen with my emails (Outlook) and such after I install Win10. I do have access to an iTeam (MS sanctioned tech support) who are local and can talk me through it. But! The last time we had a problem with signing in on the computer, they really didn't know what they were doing. It was only by accident that they "fixed" the problem while on site, but couldn't really tell me what had gone wrong in the first place.
Very similar to the Apple Store "Genius Bar". :lol

PostPosted: 07/12/15 10:21 am • # 12 
Administrator

Nothing should happen to your/my email, roseanne ~ it is "homed" on MSN servers [not specifically on our personal computers], so you'll sign into your account the same way you do now ~ same is true for gmail [and I'm sure other] accounts too ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/12/15 10:31 am • # 13 
Administrator

Nothing will happen with email when upgrading an operating system. I'm dragging with me some email from win3.1 times through all system upgrades. Of course I made a backup of the email "store" every time, just in case. And I even switched from outlook to Firefox thunderbird without a hitch.

Sooz, that's only correct for gmail, msn and such. I have an email account from my ISP also, and that is only "homed" for a while. Depends on the settings.
Mine gets downloaded to my computer and deleted from my ISP server when I delete it in Thunderbird, and also after 30 days.

PostPosted: 07/12/15 11:16 am • # 14 
Administrator

Thanks for the correction, Jab ~ that's important to know/remember ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/12/15 12:41 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

Yeah, but this is a local(on the computer) Outlook that is shunted from our email server, the isp provider. I just can't lose all of my current folders etc. because they contain important work info. The new email service is "Windows Mail" from what I understand, not Outlook.

I'm not worried about my personal account, which is still a "Hotmail" account.

I read something here when it was XP to Vista, but I can't find info on Win10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wind ... ok-express

edited to add: I'll probably have to import all of my settings too. Crap.

PostPosted: 07/12/15 2:20 pm • # 16 
Administrator

I'd definitely would write down all email setup information before going win10.
POP, SMTP info for each account, server name, login info, and make a fresh copy of all my existing emails

PostPosted: 07/12/15 4:50 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

I think I'll put everything on a flash drive. lol When we got the new computer, I think that's how the tech transferred everything.

I have the login info printed out for the server email, but don't even have the foggiest about the POP or STMP stuff. I'll do my research and go from there.

PostPosted: 07/12/15 6:00 pm • # 18 
Editorialist

Ok, I've been reading a couple of threads at BleepingComputer, and I'm more confused about Win10. Of course, most of the posters over there are techies, so they talk way over my head.

However, there was mention that the reason Win10 is free is because they are going to go to a subscription based OS. IOW, you d/l it and the next thing you know, they want $$$ to continue using it. That's just speculation.

Those who have beta-tested it are on both sides. Some love it, some hate it. Sigh. I just want to make sure I know how to use it! Especially at work. It sounds a tad confusing.

jab, do you know if MS is going to continue to support Win7? If so, I think I'll stick with that for home use. Besides, I had to search far and wide to get a computer that still had Win7 on it and I've only had it a year (if that). lol

PostPosted: 07/13/15 10:18 am • # 19 
Editorialist

I found this at Cnet site. Makes me feel better about things. If Win10 turns out to be a PITA, I can stick with Win7Pro. See bolded areas.

Windows 7 mainstream support ends

On January 13, Microsoft officially ends mainstream support for Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

For corporate users, it's business as usual.

For home users, free online and phone support are disappearing. Microsoft stopped distributing new licenses to manufacturers and vendors in October 2014, so don't expect to see many more new PCs preinstalled with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, or Ultimate.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 now enters its extended support phase. Microsoft will continue to release security patches until January 14, 2020. Business PCs with Windows 7 Pro will still be available for sale, and so will OEM keys of the Pro version. Paid support will still be available. Downgrades will be honored for the business edition of Windows. For example, if you purchase a PC with Windows 8.1 Pro, you can still downgrade to Windows 7 Pro.

How the end of support affects you

Regular users will still get security fixes. You can still get Windows 7 Pro licenses if you're planning on purchasing a new system or if you're finally (LOL) upgrading from Windows XP.

There's no news yet of Windows 7 Pro going off the market. Microsoft has promised to give at least a year of advance warning before cutting off sales.

http://download.cnet.com/blog/download- ... DLA12e838e

PostPosted: 07/18/15 9:34 am • # 20 
roseanne: If you're downloading your emails to MS Office Outlook, theoretically you shouldn't have a problem with continuing to do so when the Win 10 upgrade is installed. According to everything I've heard, all your installed programs and personal files, settings, preferences etc. will be unaffected by the upgrade.

Microsoft has already said you have nothing to fear....

bwahahahahaha....

PostPosted: 07/18/15 11:38 am • # 21 
Editorialist

thanks Sid. I hope so. However, it's my hundreds and hundreds of existing, saved emails that I'm worried about. Quotes, directives, bullshit :lol etc.

Yeah, Microsoft says so......... :eek2

PostPosted: 07/21/15 4:32 am • # 22 
Administrator

Microsoft's Windows 10: Some issues to consider before you upgrade

Likelihood of problems in initial release means it's wise to delay a few months, experts say

A lot will be riding on the mass-market release next week of Microsoft's latest operating system, Windows 10.

The Redmond, Wash.-based software giant earned scathing reviews for its previous OS, the buggy and awkward Windows 8 (yes, they're skipping version 9).

As a result, most users never upgraded, requiring Microsoft to support and provide security patches for a bigger mishmash of platforms.
To entice customers to take the leap this time, the company made the unprecedented announcement in January that Windows 10 will be free for most owners of Windows 7 and 8, as long as they upgrade within the first year.

"It's in Microsoft's interests — from an update, security and customer satisfaction standpoint — to get more of its users on the same OS which it will be updating on a constant basis," said Mary Jo Foley, editor of the All About Microsoft blog at ZDNet.com.

Just because the new system software is free, however, doesn't mean everyone should jump on it right away, or even at all, experts say. Here are some points to consider:

1. Bugs

Most major new software versions come with a bevy of added features, but that means they also often have a lot kinks to iron out.

"Especially with Microsoft products, there's often lots of problems when they first come out," said Heinz Deubler, a certified Microsoft systems expert who runs an IT firm in Vancouver.

He said he hasn't tested out a pre-release version of Windows 10 yet, but will approach it with his usual caution around Windows upgrades.

"I'm telling my clients, don't touch it until it's been out for about six months. The rule of thumb is to wait for the first service pack."

The thinking goes like this: Once Windows 10 has had a chance to be installed on the many brands and configurations of computers that can run it, IT experts will have a better sense of how it performs in different conditions, and users can then decide whether they want it for their own devices.

2. Forced updates

One of the Windows 10 features that has some industry experts wary is that, for home users, it forces you to accept system updates from Microsoft. In other words, Windows will automatically download and install, in the background, whatever amendments Microsoft comes out with.

For security patches — fixes to the system software that plug security gaps and prevent malicious software installation — that's generally a good thing. But for other features, not all users are content to give Microsoft control over what's installed on their machine — especially until the new features have been widely tested and deemed glitch-free.

"Another problem I have with automatic updating is that it could become a conduit for offloading junkware onto users," writes computer books author Adrian Kingsley-Hughes.

He points out that Microsoft has used updates — albeit optional ones — to push the Bing toolbar and Skype (which Microsoft owns) on users in the past.

Windows 10 Pro users will have a bit more leeway to delay the installation of new features, but eventually they'll have to accept them. Only the highest-end users, those running Windows 10 Enterprise, wil get complete control over what updates to accept.

3. Long-term support

Microsoft says it will continue to provide feature updates to Windows 10, as well as fixes for particular problems that creep up for smaller numbers of users, through 2020. There will then be five more years after that of "extended support," which means security and reliability updates.

Contrast that to Windows 7 — the operating system on between 50 and 60 per cent of the world's personal computers — for which no new features have been forthcoming since January, while extended support ends in 2020.

So if you've recently purchased a new computer that could last for years, you should consider upgrading to Windows 10 to lock in what will likely be a lifetime (for the computer) of new features and support. Stick with Windows 7 and you won't get any new features. Furthermore, Windows 7 updates to guard against viruses and malware will end in five years, potentially before you're ready to get rid of the machine. (For Windows 8, support for new features ends in 2018 and extended support runs to 2023.)

4. Is it really free?

For most average home and small business users, upgrading to Windows 10 will be free. But that, er, window of opportunity doesn't last forever.

"It will be a free download for exactly one year starting July 29. So if a user wants this for free (instead of for some as-yet unknown upgrade cost), s/he should think about moving some time within that year-long period," Foley said in an email interview.

Once upgraded to Windows 10, Microsoft promises there will never be any fees or costs to update with the latest fixes for the life of the device.

And who exactly can get Windows 10 free? Anyone who has the home or professional versions of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1. If you have plain Windows 7 or 8, you'll have to upgrade them first — for free.

Even people running non-genuine copies of Windows 7 or 8.1 can upgrade for free to Windows 10 — but their copy of Windows 10 will be non-genuine too, which in the past has made them ineligible for all updates except for security patches.

The biggest group of users who can't get a free upgrade to Windows 10 are people running the enterprise editions of Windows 7 or 8, which means employees at corporations that have purchased volume licenses for the operating system.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/micro ... -1.3159581

PostPosted: 07/21/15 8:14 am • # 23 
Administrator

Thanks for this article, oskar ~ it reinforces what we've been saying: wait to download until we hear more about problems people might have ~

I've been getting a lot of info from Microsoft ~ it's difficult to c/p because so much is interactive ~ is it safe to assume that those of you who have reserved a copy of Win10 are getting the same info?

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/22/15 8:34 am • # 24 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
Thanks for this article, oskar ~ it reinforces what we've been saying: wait to download until we hear more about problems people might have ~

I've been getting a lot of info from Microsoft ~ it's difficult to c/p because so much is interactive ~ is it safe to assume that those of you who have reserved a copy of Win10 are getting the same info?

Sooz

Yeah, but I haven't watched or read any of it, LOL!

PostPosted: 07/22/15 8:56 am • # 25 
Administrator

In my limited experience Windows XP was the best of an iffy lot. They couldn't wait to terminate it.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next   Page 1 of 3   [ 62 posts ] New Topic Add Reply