It is currently 05/25/24 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
PostPosted: 07/06/09 5:12 pm • # 1 
Administrator

Several of us were in chat tonight and Greeny had a problem ~ she wouldn't get posts for a minute or two ~ and then she would get a whole bunch at one time ~ we can't figure if it's a problem with the chat module or maybe with her computer speed ~ FF, I know you replaced the chat module to see if that would let Been use the link ~ did that work? ~ and is it possible that the new chat module has something/anything to do with Greeny's lag time? ~ so far as I know, Greeny is the only one having this problem ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/06/09 11:52 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Sooz, check the yuku support forum. A few days ago there was an issue with chat and people getting kicked several times in a row.

PostPosted: 07/07/09 12:22 am • # 3 
Sounds like a simple lag problem. Especially if greeny was the only one effected.

The packets of information sent out from our pc's are bounced all over the shop before being re-assembled at their destination. if one packet is late the whole consignment is held up. Nothing to worry about.

Changing the chatroom made no difference to Been, neither did I really expect it to, it was just a potential quirk which had to be ruled out.

PostPosted: 07/07/09 12:23 am • # 4 
Administrator

Thanks, Jab ~ I will check right now ~ and getting kicked DOES happen to a few, who [I think] are all on laptops ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/07/09 12:36 am • # 5 
Administrator

Jab, the question in the support forum was that several people were getting kicked out of chat repeatedly ~ the answer was that there are "no known problems" in chat ~ with the suggestion to reinstall the chat module [which FF just did for us] ~ I'm going to post our issue and see if there are any suggestions ~ altho, from a logic standpoint, FF's post #2 makes sense to me ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/07/09 2:23 am • # 6 
sooz08 wrote:
Thanks, Jab ~ I will check right now ~ and getting kicked DOES happen to a few, who [I think] are all on laptops ~

Sooz
Sooz, I don't think the type of computer has anything to do with being kicked out. I'm on a desktop and have been bumped from chat several times.

PostPosted: 07/07/09 2:33 am • # 7 
glitterypickles539 wrote:
sooz08 wrote:

Sooz
Sooz, I don't think the type of computer has anything to do with being kicked out. I'm on a desktop and have been bumped from chat several times.
The type of pc would make no difference, the method of net connection may be a factor but mostly it will be traffic routing that will cause delays/lag or timeout bootings.
I can understand why picks might have been bumped from chatrooms several times though. Image

PostPosted: 07/07/09 2:56 am • # 8 
If I could give you a raspberry through the screen I would... So I'll do this instead! Image

PostPosted: 07/07/09 2:59 am • # 9 
If I could give you a raspberry through the screen I would... So I'll do this instead! Image
LOL, the prosecution rests m'lud. Image

PostPosted: 07/07/09 3:23 am • # 10 
Editorialist

I think you're right about it being lag time though. Our computer's a little on the old side, and I was running a couple of different things last night.

PostPosted: 07/07/09 3:44 pm • # 11 
Time lags in chat could be anything from your method of connecting to the internet, local network bottlenecks, server delays/overloads at busy times, etc. I've been on many chat boards in my life, and with a variety of different computers, and those types of problems can be pretty sporadic. I've seen it on a lot of boards where everyone else will seem to be chatting close to real time, and one person is lagging way behind, or everyone starts having the lags with a whole page of typing showing up at a time, then for no reason, it resolves itself.

PostPosted: 07/08/09 3:10 am • # 12 
I think it's aliens preparing for the invasion...

PostPosted: 07/08/09 3:16 am • # 13 
I think it's aliens preparing for the invasion...
No one would have believed in the last years of the twentieth century that this board was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a sharper microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. ...........

Ooo Laaaah Image

PostPosted: 07/08/09 3:24 am • # 14 
Administrator

For the record, I posted our chat "quirks" with yuku help ~ the reply was that greeny's problem of no posts for a minute or two and then several at once is a lag-time issue and likely is a connection problem with her computer ~ and that Been's problem of not being able to just click on the chat board is a problem for all dial-up users ~ help suggested we do as we've been doing ~ i.e., post a direct link to the chat room ~ help also suggested that all dial-up users close other programs while logging into chat ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/08/09 3:48 am • # 15 
"likely is a connection problem with her computer"

Can I just throw in here that description does not mean Greeny has a problem with her pc which necessitates a repair. It doesn't.

As I stated above the data being transmitted from our computers is sent out in packets, dependent upon the route they take and the multitude of hassles which may be encountered along the way; volume of traffic at that moment, speed/capacity of relaying servers, etc packets can be delayed, or even lost.

Consider it the same as sending a multibox consignment via DHL, (Drop-it, Hide-it, Lose-it), and naively expecting the consignment to arrive intact and on-time instead of a box ending up going across country the pretty route. Now marvel that this hiccup only happens on rare occasions.

PostPosted: 07/08/09 1:52 pm • # 16 
I find it easiest to just blame the service provider.

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply