It is currently 04/23/24 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: I DID IT!
PostPosted: 04/17/16 12:54 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I updated to Win10 ~ no problems [so far] ~ my desktop remains the same ~ I do need to poke around and find things like "control panel" and "updates" since I prefer to be notified and then to do the update myself ~ Cortana has an icon in my task bar but I have not, and don't expect to, activate it/her/him ~

My all-time favorite OS was XP ~ upgrading to Win7 was an easy switchover ~ and [at least right now], Win10 seems like a fairly easy switchover too ~

Sooz

Post subject: Re: I DID IT!
PostPosted: 04/18/16 7:18 am • # 2 
Administrator

So ... I did a lot of poking around and rearranging yesterday ~ bottom line: I'm mostly satisfied with Win10 ~ there are some great improvements and a few "why the hell did you tinker with that" moments ~ there's nothing that I can't/won't adjust to with use ~

One question for Sid and roseanne [who are both using Win10] ... is there a way to recapture my "notify me and I will do the update" preference that I set in Win7? ~ my friend/neighbor Cindy told me she will occasionally get updates that require rebooting while she's in the middle of something ~ :ey

The upgrade process is well done ~ MSN/Microsoft keeps you advised of what it's doing and what you'll see/not see on the screen during the process ~

But maybe the BEST part is that I will no longer get the annoying "UPGRADE NOW" pop-up messages!

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:11 pm • # 3 
If you look on the Task Bar on the right, there's an icon for "Notifications". Click on it and it will open along the right side of the screen. At the bottom, there's a series of buttons. Click "All settings" (replacement for the Control Panel - although the Control Panel is still available). Click "Updates and Security". Click "Advanced Options". Under "Choose How Updates Are Installed", select "Notify to schedule restart". You don't have to reboot right away when you receive updates.

The Control Panel can be found here: Start > All Apps > Windows System > Control Panel. You can Click and Drag the Control Panel Icon to "pin" it to the main Start Menu. Right-Click on it for more options.

Welcome to 2016. ;)

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:58 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Easy ... and DONE! ~ thanks, Sid! ~ :fl

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/18/16 7:59 pm • # 5 
I aim to please.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 8:26 pm • # 6 
BTW Sooz.... If you go to Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options > Choose how updates are delivered...

You might want to have a look at this, especially if you have more than one machine running on your system. I chose to have it ON but with "PCs on my local network". I suggest this setting even if you only have one machine because I see a potential (ugly) exploit coming and you could be hit if you leave it set to get some updates from other machines on the internet.

Oh yeah... if you have a web cam and mic, you might get introduced to Cortana. Nuff said about that one, except that, to me it's creepy and I won't use it. There are ways to shut it off.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 9:04 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

lol sooz. I've only used Win10 in the office on a VERY limited basis, so I know nothing.

I'm still resisting........

PostPosted: 04/19/16 8:17 am • # 8 
Resistance is futile....

PostPosted: 04/19/16 8:28 am • # 9 
Administrator

I did change the "default" after reading your post #6, Sid ~ thanks ~

FTR, I'm not thrilled with the Edge browser ~ it seems to "stutter" ~ hopefully, that will improve ~ in the meantime, I'm using Opera ... which is working smoothly, quickly, and responsively ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 04/19/16 9:29 am • # 10 
I don't bother with Edge either. Firefox is king around this household.

PostPosted: 04/19/16 10:14 am • # 11 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
Resistance is futile....

Especially if you're being assimilated by the one on the right, eh? :b

PostPosted: 04/20/16 12:50 pm • # 12 
roseanne wrote:
Sidartha wrote:
Resistance is futile....

Especially if you're being assimilated by the one on the right, eh? :b