It is currently 04/19/24 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: Confession
PostPosted: 05/26/16 4:11 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I told Jabra I would confess to VoC ~

My keyboard has been doing goofy things ... for example, I'd hit a key and nothing would show up on my monitor ~ annoying stuff like that ~ so today a friend and I were out doing errands and decided to look at keyboards in a BestBuy ~ I told the clerk why I was looking for a new keyboard and she asked when was the last time I changed batteries in the keyboard I have ~ I said I have no idea, maybe never ~ she suggested I try that before buying a new keyboard ~ I really appreciated her attitude [which I'm sure was because I was buying a new printer too] ~

I came home ~ turned my keyboard over and was very careful to position the old batteries the way the new batteries should go in ~ got the new batteries in, rebooted my computer, and ... NOTHING ~ no key worked on the keyboard ~ tried again, still NOTHING ~

So I did what I always do ... I called Jabra for help ~ :b

He walked me thru what I did and made several other suggestions ~ then he happened to say something like "the battery compartment should be on the bottom" ~ I said the battery compartment was on the top ~ he's talking "positive" and "negative" ~ I'm repeating I put the batteries in exactly in the same position as I took them out ~ then I said the little bump goes in against the spring ~ Jabra said NO, the flat side goes in against the spring ~

So ... I tried it the way Jabra said, first turning the keyboard so the battery compartment was on the bottom and VOILA! ~ my keyboard works as it should again ~ [but I swear I put the batteries in the same direction I took them out!] ~

Thank you, Jabra ... not only for sharing your vast knowledge of all things "tech", but also for your patience ~ :fl

Sooz

Post subject: Re: Confession
PostPosted: 05/26/16 8:00 pm • # 2 
Editorialist

We really need to design some kind of cyber superhero logo for Jab! :bow

PostPosted: 05/27/16 6:43 am • # 3 
Editorialist

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I don't know if I ever told this story. A couple of years ago the cordless mouse at work started doing funky things. So, we pulled out some batteries (no telling how old they were) from the desk. I looked at the mouse after putting in the new batteries and didn't see the indicator light, so I assumed they were dead. Bought new batteries, still no indicator light. Keep in mind that I never tried to use the mouse... :eyes

That evening, I was on the home computer and saw the indicator light in my mouse. It was then that I realized we had swapped mouses (mice?) and the one at the office did not have an indicator light.

Sometimes it's the simplest things that can get the best of you.

sooz, are you still happy with Win10?

PostPosted: 05/27/16 7:34 am • # 4 
Administrator

I'm not sure "happy" is the correct word, roseanne ~ Win10 works well and smoothly ~ but even tho I transferred many of my Win7 settings to Win10, I still have to search on Win10 to find some things ~

My biggest problem is settling on a browser ~ Edge basically is not ready for "prime time" ~ Opera and FireFox each have their own quirks ~

My all-time favorite Win version is still XP, with Win7 a close 2d ~ Win10 continues to grow on me but there ARE some frustrations ~ there's a TON of Win10 information online, but most is written in language that sounds like tongues to me ~ I need to buy a copy of "Win10 for Dummies" ~ :ey

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/27/16 2:53 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
I'm not sure "happy" is the correct word, roseanne ~ Win10 works well and smoothly ~ but even tho I transferred many of my Win7 settings to Win10, I still have to search on Win10 to find some things ~

My biggest problem is settling on a browser ~ Edge basically is not ready for "prime time" ~ Opera and FireFox each have their own quirks ~

My all-time favorite Win version is still XP, with Win7 a close 2d ~ Win10 continues to grow on me but there ARE some frustrations ~ there's a TON of Win10 information online, but most is written in language that sounds like tongues to me ~ I need to buy a copy of "Win10 for Dummies" ~ :ey

Sooz

I hear ya. I just don't have the patience anymore. :(

Amazon even carries a "Windows 10 for Seniors for Dummies". It's described as being written for people over 50....not that I think you're in that group. :angel

Edited to add: I'd be happy as a clam with Win98, lol! It's what I started with. I loved XP too. Win7 is enough like XP to feel familiar and easily managed for the most part.

PostPosted: 05/28/16 8:57 am • # 6 
Administrator

Win10 has the same "familiar" feel, roseanne ~ it's just that things have been moved around and sometimes "renamed" ~ after hearing some horror stories [including Jabra's experience], I sat here while the system was "upgrading" [which took a little more than an hour] so I was able to choose what to import from Win7 ~ my desktop is identical, and all of my saved links and files were brought over ~ I don't use many of its "features" ~ for instance, I turned Cortana off ~ but every day I'm a bit more comfortable with Win10 ~

As I said above, my real problem is with browsers ~ Edge is simply not ready for prime time ~ things are just different enough in FireFox that I find it annoying ~ I need to spend more time using FireFox to see if that will change my annoyance level ~ Opera seems to work fairly well in Win10, but it too has its own quirks ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/28/16 12:41 pm • # 7 
I'm beginning to think that Win 10 is benign. After using it for the past year, it's like it's "not there" - it could be XP or Win 7 or Win 8/8.1 and I really don't notice it - until I start working with programs I've had with Win 95 that didn't work with anything after. They ALL work in Win 10. Freakin' awesome if you ask me. I have an older flatbed scanner that wouldn't work in Win 7 or 8.1 and it's flawless in Win 10.

PostPosted: 05/28/16 2:12 pm • # 8 
Administrator

Have a Win10 question I hope you can answer, Sid [or steer me to where I can find out "how to"] ~ I have a thumb drive with several documents on it ~ when I inserted that thumb drive into a USB port in Win7, a sidebar allowing me to choose which drive I wanted to use opened up ~ that's not happening in Win10 ~ do you have any clue on how I can get to the thumb drive documents?

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/28/16 5:18 pm • # 9 
Administrator

You can ignore my above message, Sid ~ "File Explorer" is my new friend ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/29/16 6:44 am • # 10 
You'll (sometimes) get a message in the bottom right corner when the drive is initialized.

PostPosted: 05/29/16 9:10 am • # 11 
Editorialist

Guess I'll have to decide soon if I want to go with Win10. Free until July 19th I think the pop-up said. I really don't pay much attention to that since I'm "trained" to just close it, lol.

PostPosted: 05/29/16 7:30 pm • # 12 
Administrator

If you decide to go with Win10, I strongly recommend you sit in front of your monitor while the system is upgrading so you can ensure that what you want to import from your prior Win version is included in the upgrade ~ my upgrade took under 1-1/2 hours ~

Also make sure you keep a note of the date you upgrade ~ if you really hate Win10, you can revert back to your prior Win version but only for the first 30 days following your upgrade ~

FTR, I'm happy I upgraded ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/29/16 9:24 pm • # 13 
Here's some Win10 tips:

If you have multiple programs open, it used to be that Alt+Tab would take you to the last program you were working on and sill have open. Now... if you HOLD Alt+Tab, you can see all open programs and select the one you want. This works even if you're in full screen for videos or photos.

If you click the Title Bar of any open program and drag it to a corner, it will snap to 1/4 of the screen.

To get multiple instances of File Explorer, Right Click on the File Explorer icon on the Task Bar and select it. This comes in handy if you're moving files around because you can have two folders open and just click and drag them across from one window to the other.

PostPosted: 05/29/16 10:33 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

I'm going to move to WIN10 this week on my work desktop, to make sure it works with Small Business Server. Hopeful that I can then update the other work stations.

PostPosted: 06/06/16 8:21 am • # 15 
Editorialist

sooz06 wrote:
If you decide to go with Win10, I strongly recommend you sit in front of your monitor while the system is upgrading so you can ensure that what you want to import from your prior Win version is included in the upgrade ~ my upgrade took under 1-1/2 hours ~

Also make sure you keep a note of the date you upgrade ~ if you really hate Win10, you can revert back to your prior Win version but only for the first 30 days following your upgrade ~

FTR, I'm happy I upgraded ~

Sooz

Now to find 1 1/2 hours of time where I am coherent enough to do this. Sigh. Work is at busy season. Yesterday we cleaned 6 units and logged 11 hours of work time (including admin stuff on the computer early morning and late evening, plus check ins, plus property laundry etc) As for days off now......that is a long story and makes me angry even mentioning it. lol

PostPosted: 06/26/16 9:39 am • # 16 
Administrator

UPDATE: new batteries notwithstanding, my keyboard/mouse reverted to doing goofy things ~ I'm not one who enjoys self-imposed frustration, so I looked for a new wireless keyboard/mouse combo [HATE the rat's-nest of wires under my desk] ~ and finally decided that the upgraded/updated version of what I had [a Logitech combo] was for me ~ my deciding factor was it seems to be the only keyboard on the market that has a tiny light that glows when the "caps lock" key is on [which, in my laziness, I've become dependent on] ~

Yesterday, I crawled under my desk to get to the back of my computer ~ got the tiny mouse receiver from the last combo out and the new tiny receiver for the new combo in ~ crawl out from under my desk to make sure it's all working and ... NO LIGHT on the caps lock ~ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ~ but I decided that really wasn't worth going thru the hassle of returning/finding one with a light since posting and navigating were both fine ~ no other problems yesterday ~

Got up this morning, turned on my computer, go to VoC, and try to post ~ keyboard doesn't work ~ mouse works fine/keyboard doesn't work ~ hitting keys ... nothing happens ~ ran scans, everything comes up clean ~ thinking nasty thoughts, I crawled back under my desk and checked the connections ~ everything was fine ~

I debated returning to my old keyboard/mouse and decided NO ~ took a hard look at the new keyboard ~ there is a teeny/tiny off/on switch at the top that was in the off position ~ I switched it to on ... and VOILA! ~ everything is working like a charm ~ now I'm pondering why everything worked last night but not this morning ~ oh ... and YAYYYYY!!!, there IS a tiny light on the caps lock key! ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 06/26/16 12:16 pm • # 17 
Administrator

That's it. Your house is infected with gremlins.
Run for your life! :D

PostPosted: 06/27/16 11:40 am • # 18 
Administrator

jabra2 wrote:
That's it. Your house is infected with gremlins.
Run for your life! :D

Oh, ye of little faith ~ gremlins don't scare me ... especially when I have a tech support ace on speed dial ~ :b

Sooz

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply