It is currently 03/28/24 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 21 posts ]
 Post subject: One last time....Win10
PostPosted: 07/09/16 4:12 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

As the deadline closes in for my free upgrade, I need to fish or cut bait. ANYONE who has Win10 needs to convince me to do it. Those who are resisting, please tell me why. I'm SO on the fence about this, but I don't want to regret not doing it....

PostPosted: 07/09/16 4:41 pm • # 2 
Administrator

That was my thinking, too, roseanne ~ my mindset was, since Microsoft is [allegedly] supporting Win7 for another 4 or 5 years, I'd just stay with Win7 until they stopped supporting it since I'd likely need a new computer by then ~

I'm not sure what pushed me over the edge ... but I'm very pleased I upgraded to Win10 ~ that's NOT to say there haven't been glitches because there have been a few [some of which I just worked out but many of which I've posted about in this forum] ~ Win10 is VERY LIKE Win7 ~ I had 3 big hurdles: some things are sporting new names IF you're using Edge ~ for instance "favorites" is now "the hub" ~ I also learned to use File Explorer when I get stumped on where something should be [but is not ~ :ey ] ~ but by far the biggest hurdle for me [that I'm still wrestling with] is finding a browser I like ~ Edge is not ready for "prime time", but both Firefox and Opera have "quirks" too ~ I've been using Firefox mostly and I'm learning to work around its quirks ~ [for instance, if I'm c'g/p'g something, it doesn't always pick up the formatting correctly] ~

Sid is a great source of Win10 knowledge ~ and Jabra recently accused me of forcing him to learn Win10 ~ :b

All in all, I'm glad I upgraded ~ it comes very close to being as easy as upgrading from XP [my all-time favorite OS] to Win 7 ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/09/16 4:49 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Something else ~ I strongly recommend you sit in front of your monitor WHILE the OS is upgrading ~ you'll get some options on what to import from the prior version and you'll be able to "decline" a couple of things [like Cortana] that I was not interested in ~ my upgrade, start to finish, was @90 minutes ~

But if you can't find that 90 minutes, don't worry ~ set it for an automatic upgrade while you're sleeping because I'm SURE "we" can help you get rid of anything you don't want ~ :b

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/09/16 7:44 pm • # 4 
If your machine is Win 8 or 8.1 - YES YES YES. By all means do it. If your machine is Win 7, you may have to format and install but your hardware will handle Win 10 (or Win 10 will handle your hardware). In either case, it's worth it. Win 10 has been rock-solid running apps and software I've had since Win 95. It's indexing for searching files is quick and doesn't bog down. I'm more than pleased with it because it gave all of my equipment a big boost in functionality.

PostPosted: 07/10/16 6:04 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Thanks! Yes, Sid..I have Win7 now.

Is Cortana the new IE and that is why you are looking for a new browser? I've used Firefox in the past, so it wouldn't bother me.
Another thing that "scares" me is that being on satellite internet, it may take more than the 90 minutes and right now, I barely have time to breathe. It will also eat up a ton of our allowed monthly bandwidth usage and may get glitchy during the download. I suppose an overnight d/l would be the best, but I MUST have it fairly operational in the morning because we use it for work to check reservations, send confirmations, read and answer emails from owners and/or people who have reservations. We have 4 windows open at all times to do our jobs. :b

PostPosted: 07/10/16 6:57 am • # 6 
Administrator

No to your question "Is Cortana the new IE and that is why you are looking for a new browser?", roseanne ~ Cortana is the kinda/sorta Apple "Siri" wannabe ~ Edge is the new IE and it needs a LOT of work ~ right now, for me it's a contest between Opera [slick, fast, FREE download ... but some quirks] and Firefox for me ~

I don't know anything about satellite internet, so I'm no help there ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/10/16 3:53 pm • # 7 
roseanne wrote:
Thanks! Yes, Sid..I have Win7 now.

Is Cortana the new IE and that is why you are looking for a new browser? I've used Firefox in the past, so it wouldn't bother me.
Another thing that "scares" me is that being on satellite internet, it may take more than the 90 minutes and right now, I barely have time to breathe. It will also eat up a ton of our allowed monthly bandwidth usage and may get glitchy during the download. I suppose an overnight d/l would be the best, but I MUST have it fairly operational in the morning because we use it for work to check reservations, send confirmations, read and answer emails from owners and/or people who have reservations. We have 4 windows open at all times to do our jobs. :b

Most of the files Win 10 needs to install are already downloaded on your machine. They would be in folders at the top of your C: root in a folder that starts with ~. The time it takes to do the upgrade is almost completely dependent on your machine and its current OS. If your machine is a Win 7, then you may have to go to the Microsoft Win 10 site to find out what you will need to do to start the process. You may want to start saving your files and settings etc. to an external drive because the Win 10 installer might start a format routine before installing. I'm not 100% sure on that because I haven't done the upgrade on a Win 7 machine.

PostPosted: 07/10/16 3:56 pm • # 8 
Cortana is an interactive AI voice-responsive bot that collects information on you and compiles it on MS servers.

I've turned it off because I find the concept ikky but I'll wager it's not completely "off" (if you know what I'm saying).

PostPosted: 07/10/16 4:18 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Sidartha wrote:
Most of the files Win 10 needs to install are already downloaded on your machine. They would be in folders at the top of your C: root in a folder that starts with ~. The time it takes to do the upgrade is almost completely dependent on your machine and its current OS. If your machine is a Win 7, then you may have to go to the Microsoft Win 10 site to find out what you will need to do to start the process. You may want to start saving your files and settings etc. to an external drive because the Win 10 installer might start a format routine before installing. I'm not 100% sure on that because I haven't done the upgrade on a Win 7 machine.

Sid, it sounds to me like roseanne is still getting the "upgrade now" messages ~ if that is true, when she clicks on it, she'll get a message to schedule a time to upgrade ~ I'm thinking Microsoft likely checks to make sure all necessary files ARE on her machine before it begins her upgrade ~ I upgraded from Win7 and didn't need to do the kind of prep work you're describing ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/11/16 6:32 am • # 10 
Editorialist

Well, this discussion makes me feel SO much better. :lol :b

Thanks for your input.

PostPosted: 07/11/16 6:43 am • # 11 
sooz06 wrote:
Sidartha wrote:

Sid, it sounds to me like roseanne is still getting the "upgrade now" messages ~ if that is true, when she clicks on it, she'll get a message to schedule a time to upgrade ~ I'm thinking Microsoft likely checks to make sure all necessary files ARE on her machine before it begins her upgrade ~ I upgraded from Win7 and didn't need to do the kind of prep work you're describing ~

Sooz

That's why I say "you MAY have to go" to Microsoft's site. Not all people had a clean and neat experience with their Win 7 machines - at least not early on.

PostPosted: 07/11/16 6:58 am • # 12 
Administrator

Sidartha wrote:

That's why I say "you MAY have to go" to Microsoft's site. Not all people had a clean and neat experience with their Win 7 machines - at least not early on.

That's me right there. Had to work hard to fix my windows 7,
Now I'm a little worried if I try again. Procrastinating.

PostPosted: 07/11/16 8:55 am • # 13 
Administrator

jabra2 wrote:
Sidartha wrote:

That's me right there. Had to work hard to fix my windows 7,
Now I'm a little worried if I try again. Procrastinating.

Just keep repeating " I think I can, I think I can, I know I can", jab ~ :b

Seriously, if I'm remembering correctly, you upgraded very early on ~ and your rotten experience is what made me hesitate for so long ~ but there have been lots of improvements to the process since then ~

One suggestion: both you and roseanne should confirm that you can still revert to your prior OS within the first [I think] 30 days of upgrading ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 07/11/16 3:29 pm • # 14 
Editorialist

If by "confirm" you don't mean reverting to see if that works, do you? When I get a full window message about time running out, it does say in that message that I will have 30 days to revert, so I assume they wouldn't lie, would they? :eyes :b

jab, glad to know I'm in good company with procrastinating.

PostPosted: 07/11/16 3:39 pm • # 15 
Editorialist

Hubby had a great question: Could we d/l Win10 onto a flash drive and install it at home? The reason is that our satellite internet is 4G. I could d/l it at the office on the high speed internet, then install it later. It would be faster without worrying that the satellite feed goes down (as it does during storms etc) during the download. It would also negate the risk that we exceed our allowed monthly internet usage, which is only 50gb.

Anyone?

Never mind...I realized that it's MY computer that has reserved the damn download, so I would have to take my CPU, monitor, keyboard and mouse over to the office if I want to d/l it on the high speed internet or just my CPU, but what a hassle. Sigh and grrrrrrrr.

PostPosted: 07/12/16 7:33 am • # 16 
There are full-install ISO files available at Microsoft's site, although I'm not sure where because I didn't need it and I wasn't thinking to save the links to the pages. If you use a "stick" then you'll also have to download and install Microsoft's little utility to make the stick "bootable". Then you have to set the BIOS to boot-seek USB. This way, when you reboot with the stick plugged in, the computer will find the bootable stick before it finds C: and the install process can begin.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10

PostPosted: 07/12/16 7:59 pm • # 17 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
There are full-install ISO files available at Microsoft's site, although I'm not sure where because I didn't need it and I wasn't thinking to save the links to the pages. If you use a "stick" then you'll also have to download and install Microsoft's little utility to make the stick "bootable". Then you have to set the BIOS to boot-seek USB. This way, when you reboot with the stick plugged in, the computer will find the bootable stick before it finds C: and the install process can begin.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10

Thanks Sid. From the way I read it, you still must d/l it to the computer which has the "reserved" (free) d/l on it. The one at the office already has Win10.

And, btw, I am bound and determined to revert the office computer to the "classic" look and feel of Win7 when I have time in the fall. I hate, hate, hate the current format. It's clunky and awkward. I had to do a damn search to find the freaking calculator. Found the link later under "other apps", but sheesh.

PostPosted: 07/12/16 8:51 pm • # 18 
Administrator

Quote:
And, btw, I am bound and determined to revert the office computer to the "classic" look and feel of Win7 when I have time in the fall.

Yep! I think that's a sign that we're getting old. :hmm

On the other hand, I spent a small fortune today during Amazon's Prime Deal day.
Just now I hit the buy now button for an Amazon Echo. Will arrive August 1 and I'll be able to act like I'm the commander on the Enterprise.
ECHO:

Quote:
Plays all your music from Prime Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, and more using just your voice
Fills the room with immersive, 360ยบ omni-directional audio
Allows hands-free convenience with voice-control
Hears you from across the room with far-field voice recognition, even while music is playing
Answers questions, reads audiobooks and the news, reports traffic and weather, gives info on local businesses, provides sports scores and schedules, and more using the Alexa Voice Service
Controls lights, switches, and thermostats with compatible WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Wink that's what I have, Insteon, Nest, and ecobee smart home devices
Always getting smarter and adding new features and skills--over 1,500 added since launch, including Domino's and Uber

PostPosted: 07/12/16 10:09 pm • # 19 
Editorialist

Quote:
On the other hand, I spent a small fortune today during Amazon's Prime Deal day.
Just now I hit the buy now button for an Amazon Echo. Will arrive August 1 and I'll be able to act like I'm the commander on the Enterprise.

Holy cow! I wouldn't even begin to know how to use that and I don't understand how Wink works, so you're way ahead of me. Technology is leaving me wayyyy behind and I don't even care. I do mourn the fact that this stuff didn't become available when I was much younger, but I'll have to bask in the knowledge that I lived to see TV go from a small black and white pic on a tiny box to the flat screens of today, see the corded phone go to cordless, the advent of cell phone, etc. etc. I've lived through and been able to learn how to use each and every new-fangled invention in the last 60 years. When I think about them all, it's mind boggling.

Enjoy your Echo, jab. Think of me when you issue your first command. :D

PostPosted: 07/30/16 7:15 pm • # 20 
Editorialist

So, no free Win10 for me. Guess I'll have to wait until we buy a new computer. By then it will be Win100 and that's just in a few years! :lol

On the bright side, that damn icon is gone from my task bar. Hoorah!

PostPosted: 07/30/16 7:33 pm • # 21 
Editorialist

roseanne wrote:
So, no free Win10 for me. Guess I'll have to wait until we buy a new computer. By then it will be Win100 and that's just in a few years! :lol

On the bright side, that damn icon is gone from my task bar. Hoorah!

I didn't upgrade either, I am not computer savvy enough to be confident I could handle it if things went awry. I had already deleted the files that kept that annoying icon on and all the pop ups that came with it. I now check every thing I download from Microsoft.

Page 1 of 1   [ 21 posts ] New Topic Add Reply