It is currently 03/28/24 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
PostPosted: 03/10/17 10:51 am • # 1 
Editorialist

With a new update to Firefox, I've been getting this message when signing onto VoC.

They say...

This is a new feature that is available starting in Firefox version 51.

Firefox will display a grey lock icon with a red strike-through in the address bar, when a login page you’re viewing does not have a secure connection. This is to inform you that if you enter your password it could be stolen by eavesdroppers and attackers.

Starting in Firefox version 52, you will also see a warning message when you click inside the login box to enter a username or password.

What can I do if a login page is insecure?

If a login page for your favorite site is insecure, you can try and see if a secure version of the page exists by typing https:// before the url in the location bar. You can also try to contact the web administrator for the site and ask them to secure their connection.
Not recommended: You can also continue to log in to the website even if the connection is insecure, but do so at your own risk. If you do go this route, try to use a unique password or a password that you don’t also use for other important sites.

Seems I'm already using https://voicesorchoices.com.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: 03/10/17 12:34 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Jabra needs to answer this ~ thanks for the "heads-up", John ~

I've been using Firefox and have not seen that message pop up here ~ the grey icon with the red strike-thru IS evident on most yuku pages I visit ~ but since I don't sign into yuku, I've ignored it ~

I'll try to find out if our DreamHost platform update [currently scheduled for some time next week] will address that ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/10/17 1:04 pm • # 3 
Editorialist

Thanks, Sooz.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 1:23 pm • # 4 
Administrator

As long as you don't use the same password on important sites as online banking etc you should be ok. It's not really an issue if a hacker gets a hold of your VOC password to post under your name at VOC.

In order to do a "secure login" we would need to purchase a SSL certificate and run VOC via HTTPS.
Costly and in my opinion overkill for a message board.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 9:19 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Thanks Jabra.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 3:04 pm • # 6 
I've been having an issue with logging in. I sign in and it's like I didn't do anything. I haven't been able to post for the past two days. Now I post and after I hit send, I get logged out.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 4:15 pm • # 7 
Administrator

That's above my "pay grade", Sid ~ if jabra doesn't respond in the next hour or so, I'll give him a call and ask him to take a look at your post ~ it will just depend on what time he gets home from work today ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 03/14/17 6:20 pm • # 8 
Investigative

testing sid's problem

PostPosted: 03/14/17 6:23 pm • # 9 
Administrator

Sid, I can't replicate what you are experiencing. There is nothing in our logs and no changes to the system have been made since forever.
What browser are you using?

PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:45 am • # 10 
I figured it out - - I think...

The problem started at the hotel where I was staying in Toronto. Their connection was not recognizing unsecured sites. I'm at my friends' place today and things are OK. I'll be home later today and will check in to make sure that was the issue. Damned hotel.... charged a buck ninety each for local phone calls I made to a friend. :hmm I said to my partner they should just put a damned turnstile at the door and be done with it.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:58 am • # 11 
Administrator

Let's see if it happens again.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 9:51 am • # 12 
Things are good now. I'm home and my 100Mb/s is doing just fine.

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ] New Topic Add Reply