It is currently 03/28/24 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/12/17 9:31 am • # 1 
Administrator

I'm having strange computer problems this morning ~ can't post youtube videos, amongst other more minor issues ~ I've run every scan I know and all come up clean ~ I note shift had a similar problem with a video link earlier today ~

I'm not sure what to try next ~ only 2 things have changed that might affect my computer in the last several weeks ~ we added a security certificate and I switched to uBlock Origin as an ad blocker ~ but everything has worked smoothly UNTIL this morning ~ :ey

I'm asking all VoCers to PLEASE add here any computer problems you are having recently that make no sense ~ thanks ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/12/17 11:50 am • # 2 
Editorialist

So far my laptop seems to be OK, but I've seen several people on FB reporting problems-especially with uploading photos/videos. No common thread as far as I can tell, but I'm the wrong person to ask. lol

Hubby's laptop has been wonky/slow for about a week now. He ran a defrag the other night and it was a very strange screen, everything was broken into 2 blocks with a space between them. He's also had problems with one particular site that he uses for work, finally got an e-mail through to someone who said *their* system has been screwy for weeks and they can't figure out why.

I'm going to blame windows updates, because they always seem to be the source. :angry

PostPosted: 12/15/17 3:53 pm • # 3 
I'm running a Win10 machine - do all the updates - run regular scans with Defender - upload files through FTP daily and I'm not encountering any problems.

When it comes to those "garden" web sites like FB, YouTube, Twitter etc.: They're all upgrading their platforms frequently and the browser coders are constantly in a race to keep pace. Everything from security patches to how a div tag kerns a font is going through a constant barrage of tweaks and full-scale changes. The difficulties you're facing could be the result of any "latest update" to any of the software chain from your computer to the online platform. Given this swirling morass of digital fog, I'm surprised it actually works at all.

PostPosted: 12/15/17 5:39 pm • # 4 
Administrator

Sid, I too am using Win10, do all the updates, and run regular scans with Defender and ASC ~ I don't know about/use FTP ~

What browser are you using? ~ over the summer, I began using FireFox more regularly because Edge is too quirky ~ are you using an adblocker? ~ weeks ago, I switched from AdblockPlus [when I got deluged with ads everywhere] to uBlock Origin, which was developed to work with all major browsers ~ the ads hitting me now are down to bare minimum ~

The problem with posting youtube videos started a few days ago ~ I'm thinking a setting somewhere must have gotten corrupted ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/15/17 10:12 pm • # 5 
I use Chrome for web development and Firefox for surfing. I'm not bothering with Edge or IE except to test the stuff I'm working on. I have Adblock Plus on both browsers and it works well enough for my needs. I don't typically upload much for videos so I can't answer to that problem, except to say that with all the coding changes going on in the software world and in W3C conventions (HTML, CSS, JavaScript etc.) there's bound to be hiccups along the way. When you consider the size of the typical Google server farm, you have to admire their ability to keep it running as well as it does. A lot of the "development" work I'm doing now is converting existing sites to "mobile-ready" HTML5 sites and I'm finding a lot of kinks along the way that need to be ironed in order to reconcile old-style HTML4 sites into the new conventions (HTML5, CSS3).

PostPosted: 12/18/17 8:36 pm • # 6 
Administrator

It looks like that it is time to make another big jump with our PHPBB3
I will need to update to a newer version and that could take a few hours if I run into problems.
Right now is not a good time for me to do it while you're all asleep :D
so it will have to wait until I really have a free weekend. Not likely before the end of the year.
I'll let you know ahead of time of course (and we definitely need to have our backup board running. Do we even have that still, Sooz?)
Anyway, I'll do a complete backup before I even get started, just in case. So if the two versions don't jibe, especially our home-made style, we would have to use Phpbb3's standard style until I can adjust our VoC style or I just upload the whole "old" shebang again.

PostPosted: 12/18/17 9:15 pm • # 7 
Administrator

We let our back-up board go [since we never used it] a few years ago, Jab ~ I'll do a generic search tomorrow and see where we can land ~ suggestions welcome ~

The only other option I can think of right now is that Jab keeps me updated on progress and I email all VoC members with that info as I get it ~ that means that all VoC members who want the updates must be sure to email or PM me a current email address before the upgrade begins ~

Jab, let's talk in the next couple of days to see if you can pin down the timing and the date for this work ~

If anyone has an other ideas, please post them here ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/19/17 7:13 am • # 8 
Maybe it's time to have a private Facebook page as a "landing zone" should things get accidentally screwed up here.

Jus' thinkin' out loud...

PostPosted: 12/20/17 10:08 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Whatever you decide to do sooz. I don't really "do" facebook, but I do have an account or two(long story), LOL! I don't even know how to use it, but hubby is now a pro and can help me.

PostPosted: 12/20/17 10:13 am • # 10 
Editorialist

I keep my FB private from all boards -and would rather not go that route. If you go that way - will wait till the board comes back and you can keep me informed by email. . - -

PostPosted: 12/20/17 3:55 pm • # 11 
I realize Facebook isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it will provide a way for Sooz and Jab to keep any willing participants informed and as Karolinablue says, the rest can be contacted by email. I think that's the easiest option. There's no point going through the hassle of setting up a secondary BB if it's only going to be used for a few days off and on. The Facebook page can also be deleted once the upgrade process is completed and the new format [however that unfolds] is stable.

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ] New Topic Add Reply