It is currently 03/28/24 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 01/01/18 5:17 pm • # 1 
Administrator

This is an "ad" from The Daily Beast ~ I'd very much appreciate if our tech gurus here in VoC could/would explain how VPNS work [in understandable English for those of us not fluent in tech-speak] and if you agree that a VPN will become a security "must" as net neutrality is abandoned ~ my first question is if all VPNS are wifi only since I am currently hard-wired at home by choice ~ in the original text below, each of the 5 choices is a "live link" to more info ~ Sooz

You'll Need One Of These 5 VPNS Once Net Neutrality Is Gone

The FCC made it official: net neutrality is on its way out. What does that mean for all of us as consumers? Primarily that companies now control the Internet — and potentially our privacy experience while we browse, unless we choose to do something about it.

The change sparks a negative reaction from most people: those who believe the Internet is a place where some sense of anonymity should be maintained, and those who also feel like tacit marketing ploys are pretty tiresome as it is. Luckily, there's still a way to protect your privacy online: just use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to add a layer of security and encrypt your data from prying eyes. Think of a VPN as a tunnel — and everything you do stays between you and your mouse inside of that tunnel.

Check out our five picks with great deals below:

1. VPN Unlimited: Lifetime Subscription
2. Windscribe VPN: 3-Yr Pro Subscription
3. PureVPN: Lifetime Subscription (offer ends 1/11)
4. Disconnect: Lifetime Premium Subscription
5. Private Internet Access VPN: 3 Year Subscription

Please note that if you buy something featured in one of our posts we may collect a share of sales.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/youll-need-one-of-these-5-vpns-once-net-neutrality-is-gone

PostPosted: 01/01/18 7:16 pm • # 2 
"VPN literally stands for virtual private network. With a VPN, all your traffic is held inside a private, encrypted tunnel as it makes its way through the public internet. You don't access the destination until after you've reached the end of the VPN tunnel.

The root of why VPNs are popular is because they can be used to anonymize and encrypt internet traffic. Governments, ISPs, wireless network hackers and others can not only not see what's inside a VPN but also usually not even be able to find out who is using it."

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-vpn-2377977

PostPosted: 01/01/18 7:26 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Anyone have a bit of code that'll screw up the throttlers when they decide to throttle?

PostPosted: 01/01/18 7:28 pm • # 4 
Sooz... I sent you a PM

PostPosted: 01/01/18 7:47 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Got it, Sid ~ thanks ~ since I set up VoC's FB page as "private" [which is solely to keep those who choose to join updated when Jab is updating VoC ... so it is not yet active], I'll send the invite to the first email [which is the one I had] ~

Did you get a chance to review the 5 recommendations? ~ not sure I see much difference between them ~ we need to learn more ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 01/03/18 8:32 am • # 6 
VPNS isn't something that can be done by DreamHost or VoC. It's up to the individual user to choose how they connect to the internet.

Personally.... if it gets to the point where I need an armed guard to get around, I'll stay home and order in. Meaning... if the internet gets to the point where I have to fear the eyes of my government or corporate thieves, I'll disconnect and only use the net for getting software updates. If even that becomes problematic - I'll disconnect entirely.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply