It is currently 05/25/24 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/28/09 6:09 am • # 1 
I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with this browser? I just figured out it was installed on my computer and have been giving it a try for the past day or so. I've noticed that pages seem to load faster than Firefox and Safari's version of Speed Dial is nicer. But there is no Adblock and some features of Yuku can't be accessed, in particular, posting options (which is why this isn't in my usual blue, comic sans).

PostPosted: 08/28/09 6:24 am • # 2 
Administrator

Is Safari a Mac browser? ~ if so, maybe Calluna can answer ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/28/09 7:54 am • # 3 
Yeah, Safari is from Apple but can be used on Windows machines.

PostPosted: 08/29/09 4:26 am • # 4 
I've used Safari on a Mac, and don't have any problems with it, though mostly use Firefox anyway, since some of the sites I use for my courses don't support Safari (because the idiot in our IT department who is in charge of that particular set of software seems to have some deepfelt resentment for Macs that borders on pathological). I haven't really heard much good about it on a Windows machine though. You probably wound up with it if you use iTunes and didn't uncheck the box that tries to install it every time iTunes upgrades on a PC.

PostPosted: 08/29/09 6:15 am • # 5 
Thanks, Calluna. That explains why I have it - I have Itunes.

PostPosted: 08/30/09 5:54 am • # 6 
Quicktime upgrades also try to install Safari unless you deselect it.

PostPosted: 08/30/09 6:43 am • # 7 
I kind of like it but I still prefer Firefox.

PostPosted: 08/30/09 7:01 am • # 8 
There's apparently lots of sites that are incompatible with it.
To be absolutely honest GP, I never bothered to investigate it after reading the initial reviews. I saw no advantage.

PostPosted: 08/30/09 8:59 am • # 9 
I even prefer Firefox on my Mac. Safari is good, but Firefox is better...and yes, the feature I just don't feel I could live without is Adblock. The other feature that Firefox has that Safari doesn't is the ability to have it remember log-in information on a site-by-site basis. With Safari, you can create a master password so you only use one password while Safari remembers all the individual ones, but something about that concept just doesn't sit well with me.

From everything I've heard, even Google's Chrome does better than Safari on a PC.

And, I love that smiley FF!

PostPosted: 08/30/09 2:09 pm • # 10 
Tried Safari with Windows and did not like it. I usually use Firefox with Ubuntu

PostPosted: 08/30/09 3:38 pm • # 11 
Brojees wrote:
I usually use Firefox with Ubuntu

Uh oh! We have another geek among us! [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 08/31/09 7:41 pm • # 12 
Why is Ubuntu geek? It is the simplest OS of all to use.

PostPosted: 09/01/09 4:16 am • # 13 
Brojees wrote:
Why is Ubuntu geek? It is the simplest OS of all to use.

GEEK GEEK GEEK GEEK GEEK GEEK GEEK GEEK GEEK GEEK!!! WE DON`T WANT NO GEEKS WITH COMMAND LINE SKILLS!!! WHY TYPE WHEN YOU CAN CLICK?

PostPosted: 09/01/09 4:25 am • # 14 
Sometimes I get more done with command line skills than I do with "clicks" or "wizards". It all depends on what I'm doing.

PostPosted: 09/01/09 5:25 am • # 15 
Sidartha wrote:
Sometimes I get more done with command line skills than I do with "clicks" or "wizards". It all depends on what I'm doing.
It probably depends on how much time you have to waste using your keyboard Image

PostPosted: 09/04/09 2:45 am • # 16 
Ubuntu does not demand command line skills. For what 90% of the public desires, it is click and point. My daughter is computer illiterate... well she does do some Mac, but not sure if that counts. She is an art school graduate, but they truly taught more art then they taught computer skills. She needed a good photo editor and Photoshop is totally out of her budget. Quick load of Ubuntu into it's own partition on her machine, (She did it). Then a quick internet search and she now has an editor that surpasses Photoshop in it's functionality.

I challenge anyone to go online, do the free Ubunto download... Burn an image over to a CD and then plug it in and boot up. You will be given two selections... Language to run, and then how to boot. One will be "Try Ubuntu without changing your computer". Try it, it DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING PERMANENT TO YOUR COMPUTER... but you can go online, (Firefox is already installed), look around and feel it out. When you are through, shut down... pull the disk and go your way. No change or history exists in your machine. Oh, frequently services that charge as you open your Windows browser do not detect the Ubuntu Firefox and you connect right past them, handy when staying in some hotels that do not have free internet.

PostPosted: 09/06/09 7:41 am • # 17 
I was joking Brojees, I might be the greatest geek in geek history.

PostPosted: 09/07/09 1:22 pm • # 18 
Yeah, being a geek isn't a bad thing around here. A bunch of us count as geeks (I think in terms of computers, using any OS or browser that isn't installed out of the box makes you a geek, since you have to know enough to do your own troubleshooting when tech support isn't as readily available.)

Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ] New Topic Add Reply