It is currently 05/18/24 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: 10/26/09 5:42 am • # 1 
Editorialist

My printer died this week so I'm looking to get a new one.

Anyone recommend a particular brand?

Any brands I should stay away from?

PostPosted: 10/26/09 6:00 am • # 2 
Administrator

John, a lot depends on how much you print ~ I've had a couple of Lexmark color printers over the years and I've always been very satisfied ~ I currently have an all-in-one [prints, scans, copies, faxes] and I've never had a problem ~ I've had my current Lexmark printer for about 2 years, I bought it on QVC, and I think it was about $125 ~ it has decent, not lightning fast, speed ~ something like 8-10pgs per minute in b/w and 5-7 in color ~ I pay roughly $22 for b/w and $26 for color cartridges ~ but I don't print a lot at home, and it is more likely that a cartridge will dry out than that I will use it up ~ having said that, I think it was Jabra who mentioned Kodak printers because the cartridges are about half [or even less] of the price for other brand cartridges ~ a friend recently replaced her printer with a Kodak and she's been very happy with it ~ and her cartridges run about $9-10 ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/26/09 10:52 am • # 3 
Administrator

Not Kodak, Epson is what I personally like, especially since I just got new cartridges from an online shop which actually work.
Epson has 4 cartridges, black, yellow, red, blue.
The original Epson cartridges have a chip in it which tells the printer how much ink is left. Compatible cartridges usually didn't work. Last week I found a place which circumvents that chip thingy, I bought
T069nu06SR: 4 full reusable cartridges including ink tanks 1 black refill plus bonus refill, 6 in all. Almost triple the ink
for 29 bucks plus 6 bucks shipping and handling.
In future I only have to buy the refill tanks which cost 15 bucks for 5 tanks (2 black + 1 of each color)

You can't beat that.

This looks like a decent all-in-one printer http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63083741&ref=r0302DNCXA
for 79.99 after instant rebate.
Uses the same cartridges as mine.
Not sure how much Epson charges for shipping/handling.

Fry's has the Epson NX515 for 99.99 after savings/ pickup in store. Of course then you pay sales tax.
Same cartridges.

Here's the link to the ink store http://ccs-digital.com/showink.asp?showprinter=NX515
On the bottom of that page it explains their system to bypass Epson's chip.
I was a bit leary first, But when I received them and popped them in, they work perfect.

PostPosted: 10/26/09 10:56 am • # 4 
Administrator

If you can manage without printer for a while, I'm sure there will be some great online deals on Black Friday, November 27.

PostPosted: 10/26/09 2:01 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Thanks folks. I appreciate your suggestions.

PostPosted: 10/26/09 2:38 pm • # 6 
The main thing is to look at how many pages one ink cartridge will print, and how expensive the ink is. The costs of printers themselves are all fairly comparable anymore, but it's the ink cost that kills you if you're not careful. Once you find a few printers with the features you want, look up the inks it uses and go comparison shopping for ink. Oh, and if you don't print very often, also consider that liquid inks can also dry out before you get to use them, but then you also waste a lot more solid ink during a warm up cycle, so all of those things need to be factored in.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ] New Topic Add Reply