It is currently 05/18/24 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
PostPosted: 05/20/10 3:55 am • # 1 
Editorialist

My laptop computer at work is driving me nuts! First of all, it's on a router and I occasionally lose my connection  The worst part is that if I have several browser windows open (I do not use the "tab" feature, I hate it lol) and everything freezes, I try to close an open window.....the one that will not load. It will not close and instead I get the "end program" question. If I select that, it closes every damn window! GRRRRRR. Is there anyway to facillitate the closing of just one browser window while leaving the rest open? Am I just too impatient? (rhetorical questionImage)

PostPosted: 05/20/10 4:04 am • # 2 
Administrator

Next time you freeze or get stuck, try this: hold down the shift, alt, and delete buttons ~ that should bring up the task manager ~ you can delete any problem there ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 05/20/10 4:48 am • # 3 
And maybe try switching to Firefox?  Hint, Hint...

PostPosted: 05/20/10 9:13 am • # 4 
Editorialist

LOL glitterypickles! Old dog- new tricks and all that.  Frankly, I'm afraid to change. Is it easy to navigate? I have Vista at home and hate it, hate it, hate it!

Thanks, sooz I'll try that as I can't change my browser at work.

PostPosted: 05/20/10 10:45 am • # 5 
You're better off using tabs as much as possible because each time you open IE in a new window a separate instance of it is being loaded into RAM. That's most likely what's causing your problem. It also depends on how much RAM you have but that aside, I've had over 20 tabs loaded at one time and no problems to speak of. When you have several tabs loaded in IE 8, there's a feature called "Quick Tabs" that tiles thumbnails of all the sites you have open. You just click on the desired thumbnail and go directly to the tab you want to open.

PostPosted: 05/20/10 1:04 pm • # 6 
Editorialist

Ok, Sid. Today I tried a right click and selected "open in new tab" just for the 'ell of it, but when I went to close that tab, it closed my original window. GRRRRR. Should I re-enable the tab feature so that it does that automatically? If so, how do I close one tab, but leave the others open? Ahhhh for the days of Windows 98, LOL! j/k

Never mind. I've played with the tabs at home (ooooh kinky lol) and I like them! The pages load a lot faster. Woohoo. Thanks for giving this old lady a kick in the pants to try something different. I'll enable them at work tomorrow too.

Last edited by roseanne on 05/20/10 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05/21/10 4:20 am • # 7 
Good going!

PostPosted: 06/05/10 3:49 am • # 8 
Another feature that comes with Windows 7 and applies to all apps including IE8: if an application fails, Win 7 only "reboots" that app and nothing else. It just happened to me in IE 8. The notice came up the IE failed and my option was to close the program or allow IE 8 to find a solution and reload. I chose the latter and without even shutting down, IE 8 rebooted and reloaded the pages I was on.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ] New Topic Add Reply