It is currently 05/18/24 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 113 posts ]
PostPosted: 08/12/10 2:29 pm • # 76 
laffinalltheway wrote:
For the past week, I have been having a problem getting my computer to start up in the morning when I turn it on, or I should say, a problem with Windows starting up.  I get a screen message "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully".  It goes on to explain some of the reasons why this might have happened, including power outages, none of which applies as far as I can see.  Then it gives me some options for getting Windows going, including  safe mode, using the last known configuration that worked or starting normally.  I choose last known configuration or starting normally. 

I end up having to go through this two or more times before Windows finally starts.  Sometimes, I get the black screen of death and have to power down and start all over again.  BTW, this happens even if I put the computer into standby mode instead of turning it off for the night.  Jab, Fish, Sid, any ideas what's going on here and how can I fix it?

I had the same problem sort of this week and I downloaded ccleaner from cnet.com and used it to clean up my system and then I defraged the C-drive. I also went through all the apps I have loaded on my computer and deleted ones that I never used. Finally, I bought some dark chocolate and ate the whole bar. Everything fine again.

PostPosted: 08/12/10 2:35 pm • # 77 
Administrator

I ran CCleaner on her computer. Yes, the chocolate bar might work, but how would she get it to me?

PostPosted: 08/13/10 12:34 am • # 78 
Administrator

Kassandra wrote:
laffinalltheway wrote:
For the past week, I have been having a problem getting my computer to start up in the morning when I turn it on, or I should say, a problem with Windows starting up.  I get a screen message "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully".  It goes on to explain some of the reasons why this might have happened, including power outages, none of which applies as far as I can see.  Then it gives me some options for getting Windows going, including  safe mode, using the last known configuration that worked or starting normally.  I choose last known configuration or starting normally. 

I end up having to go through this two or more times before Windows finally starts.  Sometimes, I get the black screen of death and have to power down and start all over again.  BTW, this happens even if I put the computer into standby mode instead of turning it off for the night.  Jab, Fish, Sid, any ideas what's going on here and how can I fix it?

I had the same problem sort of this week and I downloaded ccleaner from cnet.com and used it to clean up my system and then I defraged the C-drive. I also went through all the apps I have loaded on my computer and deleted ones that I never used. Finally, I bought some dark chocolate and ate the whole bar. Everything fine again.

PERFECT, Kass! ~ I happen to know dark chocolate works like magic ... always ~ and when combined with red wine, we're talking nirvana here ~ Image

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/13/10 1:08 am • # 79 
Editorialist

Kass, I know the chocolate will make ME feel better.

I'm screwing up my courage to install Ubuntu.  This morning, five attempts to boot and on the sixth, I was ready to install the new OS, had the cd in the drive and had run through a disk check, when the computer must have felt my frustration and anger and decided to cooperate.  If you don't hear from me after tomorrow, you will know that I tried the new OS and destroyed my computer and you will not see me again until I have a new one.

PostPosted: 08/13/10 1:34 am • # 80 
Administrator

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, pic ~ a word of encouragement: knowing some of the idiots people who have succeeded in installing a new os or done a complete restore/reformat on their own, I know you won't have any problems ~ but I understand the sheer terror you must be feeling ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/13/10 2:04 am • # 81 
Just one word of advice before you start:

BACK UP YOUR FILES FIRST!

there... I said it.... I feel better now....

PostPosted: 08/13/10 5:28 am • # 82 
Editorialist

(yes, mother)

PostPosted: 08/13/10 10:38 am • # 83 
Administrator

You can install Ubuntu as a dual boot.

PostPosted: 08/13/10 12:27 pm • # 84 
Editorialist

I am aware of that but it may require more technical knowledge than I have.

PostPosted: 08/13/10 1:32 pm • # 85 
Administrator

I don't remember exactly but I believe it gives you the option to install as dual boot.
Need to read up on it again, but when I installed Ubuntu on top of vista 32 AND vista 64 I didn't even worry about a thing. I basically have 3 OS on one machina.

PostPosted: 08/13/10 2:22 pm • # 86 
Editorialist

Well, I may give that a try.  I'm just concerned with the amount of memory required to have both OS's on my dinky little 71-+ gb hd.

PostPosted: 08/13/10 2:46 pm • # 87 
Administrator

Don't worry about your memory. Windows isn't loaded into memory when you run Ubuntu.
You might have to clean up your drive a little to gain some space.

PostPosted: 08/14/10 5:21 am • # 88 
Editorialist

I should have said storage not memory.  I tried the dual boot install and it didn't work.  I got as far as "preparing partitions" and got an error message that "root file not specified, go back to partition menu".  There was nothing on the partition menu that asked for a root file (which I wouldn't know anything about anyway).  I shut down and started again, this time trying a full install.  Got about 69% through the install when I got an error message that it couldn't continue writing to the disk - possible problem with the dvd drive or maybe it was dirty or maybe the problem was with the hard drive.  I think XP is gone for good after all I did.  I'm only online now because I booted from the Ubuntu cd.  Good thing I wrote down all my passwords or I'd be even more screwed than I am now.

Question:  Do you think I could get away with just buying a hard drive and use the monitor, keyboard and mouse I have now?

PostPosted: 08/14/10 9:39 am • # 89 
Administrator

Maybe couldn't continue because your drive was full?
You could get a small but quality drive, disconnect your old drive and completely reinstall windows if you have the full version.
I doubt that XP is gone. You probably still have it on your drive.

Do you have a brick and mortar electronic store nearby? I could check what's on sale if you tell me which one and what's your budget.

PostPosted: 08/14/10 11:42 am • # 90 
Editorialist

According to the info on the Ubuntu cd sleeve, it only needs 256mg of ram (I have 4gb) and 4 gb of space on the hard drive.  I deleted more programs and brought the available space up to 12 gb so I would think there was more than enough to work with. 

No, there are no b-and-m stores nearby, thanks though, I appreciate the offer.  I would like to see if I can get a decent system for under $500.00 if possible.  That assumes being able to keep my old monitor, keyboard and mouse and use them with a new tower.

PostPosted: 08/14/10 11:56 am • # 91 
Administrator

Pic, my friend/neighbor Cindy did exactly that last fall ~ she bought a HP mini, very small box [maybe half the size of the typical desktop tower] but 500 gig hard drive and 4 gigs of RAM ~ and very decent power [I want to say 2.66 gh but I'm not sure that's right] ~ kept her monitor and keyboard and mouse ~ it ran her about $465 at BestBuy ~ it did come with Vista, but because she was within a month of the Windows 7 release, she got a free update to Windows 7 ~

I also kept my monitor and keyboard when I "built" this Dell cpu in 2006 ~ I went to Dell because I could still choose to have XP loaded [vs Vista] ~ the deal came with a new keyboard and mouse, both of which I am using, but I am using the same monitor and I'm sure it would not be a problem to use the older keyboard/mouse if I chose ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/14/10 12:24 pm • # 92 
Editorialist

Sooz, I've been pricing systems on New Egg and will also look at Dell - I've been happy with my Dell and would consider another one but the price has to be right.  I'd like to get a tower with a 500gb hard drive and an extra bay for a second hard drive.  Then I could expand later on, maybe use one hard drive exclusively for my games. 

PostPosted: 08/14/10 12:43 pm • # 93 
Administrator

If you go to the Dell site, be sure you poke around ~ they tend to "hide" discount coupons on the site ~ go ahead and build what you want ~ it will be priced for you but you are under no obligation to buy it ~ also keep in mind that on any given day, someplace will have a great deal ~ I would check online all over ~ BestBuy, OfficeMax, Costco, etc ~ and Jab may have some suggestions for other online sites to check ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 08/14/10 1:31 pm • # 94 
Administrator

Can you use a screwdriver?
It's probably cheaper to buy the components like a decent motherboard, a CPU, a PSU, some memory and a nice 500GB drive plus the OEM Windows 7 DVD and a case than going via Dell. Dell's "cheap" offers usually are with low-end components.

500 bucks you say?

PostPosted: 08/14/10 1:35 pm • # 95 
Administrator

What case do you have? What power supply? How old is your PC anyway?

PostPosted: 08/14/10 1:53 pm • # 96 
Editorialist

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 series, got it in Dec of 2004.  Power supply?  I plug it into the wall socket. 

PostPosted: 08/14/10 2:33 pm • # 97 
Administrator

Not good. Dell and most other "manufacturers" use proprietary dimensions for power supply etc.
So for a new system you would also need a case and a decent PSU (the thingie where the cord plugs in which you also plug in the wall socket).
It is typically a very low end component for Dell PCs.

Anyway, these Dells should still be available:

Dell Inspiron 580 Core i3 Dual 3.06GHz PC for $470 + $19 s&h

Dell Home offers the Dell Inspiron 580 Intel Core i3 Dual 3.06GHz Desktop PC (no monitor) for $469.99 plus $19 for shipping. That's tied with our mention of this system from last week and the lowe... (more)
Hotness: Image
Posted 2 days 3 hr ago     ImageMore PC Desktops     ImageDell Coupons

Dell Vostro 230 Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz Desktop PC w/ 24" LCD for $500 + $8 s&h

Dell Small Business offers its Dell Vostro 230 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93GHz Mini Tower Desktop PC bundled with the Samsung 2494LW 23.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor in Black for $499.99. With $8 for shippin... (more)
Hotness: Image
Posted 3 days 2 hr ago     ImageMore PC Desktops     ImageDell Coupons

PostPosted: 08/14/10 2:39 pm • # 98 
Too bad you don't know anyone who can build you a clone so you could get away from the manufactured systems. My #2 machine is a 2.8Ghz duo core with a 250 Gb HD, 3.5 Gb RAM, Dual Layer burner and GForce 9500GT video card running XP pro.... cost: $400.00 I find with most brand name computers, you're paying for the logo. They're not hard to build and you can probably use some of the components from your old machine, including the case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner etc. and... it's a breeze to add more hard drives later. Either that or, replace the hard drive you have right now with a bigger one and install your OS on it. You can keep your existing hard drive as an extra drive but my experience with Dell tells me you'll need one of their mounting brackets for a second drive.

PostPosted: 08/14/10 2:59 pm • # 99 
Editorialist

I was looking at some computers on New Egg and they had one, I forget whether it was the computer or just the case, that had six bays for internal hard drives.  I was salivating!  I figure it's gonna take me about two months, give or take, before I have enough saved up to get a new machine.  Just in time for my birthday.  Meantime, I will keep shopping and comparing deals.

Since I have booted Ubuntu from the cd, I'm not going to bother turning my computer off at night.  I don't want to lose all my settings and bookmarks that I have patiently set up today.

PostPosted: 08/14/10 3:49 pm • # 100 
Administrator

I have mine on 24/7, but then I use one also as a TV. I let my dogs watch Oprah when I'm at work.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 113 posts ] New Topic Add Reply