It is currently 05/18/24 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
PostPosted: 09/08/10 4:44 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

I was just going through my "My Pictures" thread and a whole bunch of them have disappeared.  I had to delete quite a few of them from my Yuku Images account because it was too full (it seems I can only put about 25 pictures on it at a time) so that might have caused the problem but why would some disappear and not others.  Is there anyway I can restore the mssing pictures and prevent it from happening again?

PostPosted: 09/08/10 4:48 pm • # 2 
You may have to bundle them into separate albums.  I suspect each album has a maximum total size because I have only one with over a hundred images in it, most of which are small.

PostPosted: 09/08/10 5:03 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Yuku probably has some quotas for each account. Are you resizing before uploading or are your pics some 10 Mb huge files each?
Are you a Yuku supporter? I believe you get more space then.

PostPosted: 09/09/10 3:02 am • # 4 
Administrator

I know there IS a limit for free accounts, but I don't think that removing a picture from an album would affect an image already posted ~ I can't find anything in the "how do I ..." support topics that tells what that limit is ~ so I'm going to post several questions in the help forums ~ once I get my questions posted, I'll add the link here ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/09/10 3:39 am • # 5 
Administrator

Here's the link to my post in the General Help forum ~ http://support.yuku.com?topic=22931/master/1/ ~ feel free to add anything that I missed by posting to that topic ~ I'll check regularly and will post replies as they appear ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/09/10 4:20 am • # 6 
Editorialist

Sooz, I was just reading the answer in the support forum.  Apparently, pictures in your Yuku albums are linked to the images you post, sort of like with Photobucket.  So if you delete the pictures from your album, those images would disappear from your posts.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that if you delete a picture from your album, all the remaining pictures might have their links changed, again like Photobucket.  So that might cause other pictures that were posted to disappear, even if they are still in your albums.

PostPosted: 09/09/10 5:46 am • # 7 
Administrator

Thanks, pic ~ I'm having connectivity issues today because there is street work going on outside my building ~ so my connection is "iffy" ~ but here's the exchange so we all can know ~ Sooz

PostPosted: 09/09/10 2:31 pm • # 8 
Based on the average file size of the photos divided into the 30 Mb maximum storage space, Jim should be able to fit approximately 240 photos into his album.

PostPosted: 09/10/10 4:02 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Thanks for the help guys.  I've been in touch with Yuku as well and got the same advice as Sooz regarding space and what happens when you delete pictures.  Interstingly enough, the pictures disappearing doesn't always happen as witnessed by the number of pictures that are still there even though they have been deleted.

The pictures I have been uploading have been, on average and according to my windows My Pictures legends, about 2 mb each.  However, they are supposed to be resized automatically when I upload them to Yuku.  It may be that the resizing doesn't change how much space they take in Yuku which limits the number I can store.  My limited computer savvy doesn't let me figure that out for myself.  What I would sure like to know is how I got the pictures that stayed to stay.

I joined Photobucket and even upgraded to their Pro level so that I can store unlimited pictures of any size.  It also allows me to resize them but learning how to do that is tricky.  When I link them to a post they are either too small or too large and grainy.  I'll keep messing with it.

In the meantime, I'll upgrade to Yuku supporter which will give me 100 mb of space so I should be able to store about 75 pictures.  I'll finish the current thread with the rest of the pics from our road trip.  (Some of you must feel like the hapless guests invited to dinner and then being subject to a slide show.  At least I'm not showing you pics of Great Aunt Maybel's 83rd  semi-great grandchild from her cousin twice removed's granddaughter).  After that I'll start a new thread and be much more selective about the pictures I post.  Remember, I'm a new camera buff so you're getting the brunt of a beginner enthusiast's ardor.

PostPosted: 09/10/10 4:37 am • # 10 
Administrator

Resizing via Yuku doesn't affect the actual file size. A 2mb large file will still be 2mb large.
You should use your own resizing program before uploading to yuku.
Here's a free open source program which will let you do this.

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

PostPosted: 09/10/10 4:40 am • # 11 
Quote:
The pictures I have been uploading have been, on average and according to my windows My Pictures legends, about 2 mb each. However, they are supposed to be resized automatically when I upload them to Yuku. It may be that the resizing doesn't change how much space they take in Yuku which limits the number I can store.

I use automated image galleries for web sites and basically what happens is this: if I upload a 2Mb file to the gallery folder, the automated function detects it's presence and a) makes a thumbnail and b) only resizes the image that the viewer is downloading. The oringinal 2 Mb file remains intact on the site's server. I suspect the Album function in Yuku works the same way so if your files are 2 Mb each and the output file size is 180 Kb, then you're better off to resize the images before you upload them. The same is true when I set up a web site... if I upload an image that's 2400 x 1800 pixels but specify a size of 240 x 180, the browser has to parse that smaller image size but the full size image is still intact on the server.

Sorry to say it, but if you plan to work with photography, there's a whole learning curve you will have to go through to get the results you need. One rule of thumb is to keep your original, large files in one folder and save the resized images to a different folder. It also helps to rename the new, smaller files so you don't get the two confused.

PostPosted: 09/10/10 4:43 am • # 12 
Administrator

This was a good lesson for all of us, jim ~ there are a couple of upsides to being a yuku 'supporter' ~ first, it's cheap at $1/month or $12/year ~ you get extra personal space and extra profiles [altho that is being limited somewhat with the new profiles] ~ as a yuku supporter, you also are protected from seeing any ads anywhere in yuku ~ we maintain 'gold' status, which means no ads are ever delivered here in VoC ~ many groups don't bother [iow, don't pay for] 'gold' status ~ but any group's 'gold' status only works in that group ~ many people are convinced that the ads sometimes carry spyware/malware ~ personally, I just find them annoying and distracting ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 09/10/10 5:55 am • # 13 
Editorialist

Now to throw a wrench into everything.  This morning my Gallery was what had been previously considered to be full.  While working at other stuff I decided to upload pictures until it said stop.  Thirty some odd pictures later it's still going strong. 

I figure it was Sid telling my computer it should be able to take 240 pictures that did it.  Now he's changed his mind so my computer will probably change it's mind too. 

Regardless of what happens (there's only a few more pics to go) I'll do the Yuku supporter thing and start a new thread.  It would take a lot of work to try to replace the pictures in the current thread that have misappeared.

You're right, Sid.  There's a lot to learn about photography.  I'm signing up for a course that starts later this month because it's a lot of fun and I live in an area that offers such a plethora of subjects .  I'm not really interested in the Photoshop type thing.  I'd rather have real pictures so, apart from a little copping once in awhile the pictures you see are the pictures I've taken.

Once again, guys, thanks so much for your help and advice.

PostPosted: 09/10/10 11:11 am • # 14 
Well... I used to think the same way about Photoshop, but having worked with it for so long I've found it's loaded with a lot of very useful features that can help recover what you may otherwise think are "lost" photos. It can also compile "panorama" photos from a series of regular shots - automatically. No messing around trying to get things to match up. Photoshop is also better geared toward internet imagery than most photo studio type programs. Yes it is complicated, but the results are well worth the effort.

Here's an example... I used your Lake Louise pic and with a few filter applications, recovered some details of the Queen Victoria Range in the very background of the photo:

Now adimittedly, it's alow-resolution version of your original "in-camera" image and I didn't spend a lot of time with it - but you get the idea.  With a little more work, the clouds and sky colours can be recovered too.

PostPosted: 09/10/10 11:56 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Thanks, Sid.  Just for comparison here is the original picture Sid photoshopped from:

PostPosted: 09/10/10 12:31 pm • # 16 
Administrator

Sid, you could have at least added a naked woman waterskiing across the lake for a more dramatic effect.

Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ] New Topic Add Reply