It is currently 05/24/24 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 24 posts ]
 Post subject: Sid, what do you think?
PostPosted: 10/11/10 3:23 pm • # 1 
Administrator

I'm THAT close to hit the "checkout" button, but I'd like the opinion/critique of another freak.
I'm gonna use my new video card ASUS GTX460, my PCIe Hauppauge HVR2250, and some TB hard drives which I'm gonna pull out of my oldest computer.
Yes, it's not the top CPU I picked, but I can always upgrade later. The 320 drive will only be for OS and very few proggies.

Total Price

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3320418AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822148469
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$44.99

• SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    Item #: N82E16817151088
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    Item #: N82E16820231277
    Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
-$40.00 Instant
-$30.00 Combo
$264.98
$194.98

• MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813130275

• AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX
    Item #: N82E16819103846

-$16.00 Combo
$188.98
$172.98

• LIAN LI PC-60FNWX Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Item #: N82E16811112264
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
    Item #: N82E16832116754
    Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy
-$50.00 Instant
-$10.00 Combo
$299.98
$239.98
Subtotal: $652.93

Shipping UPS 3 day
$13.85

Promo Code: -$7.00

Grand Total: $659.78

PostPosted: 10/11/10 3:54 pm • # 2 
It all looks good - BUT - I'd put a hold on Win 7. I just stripped it off my new machine because to be honest, it's unreliable and unstable. I did a lot of research and found that regardless of hardware configuration, and even on machines that shipped with Win 7, it freezes randomly and the only way to get your system back is with a hard boot.... (not a swift kick with construction boots - shut down and fire it back up). Now... I did read at CNET that Microsoft will be having a huge download on Tuesday of this week and the hotfix for this problem might be included, but I've been bitten twice now with Win 7 so I'm going to wait until a couple service packs are out there before I go back to it.

Also... there is not a lot of driver support for Win 7 and just like Vista before it, manufacturers aren't in a rush to write driver software for older equipment so you can forget about hooking up any pre-vista printers, scanners, cameras etc. Even IEEE 1394 Firewire is iffy. I put a firewire card into my Win 7 machine and it wouldn't work because Microsoft upped the speed requirements from 400 Mhz to 800 Mhz. So eventhough Win 7 detected the card and installed the driver, none of my firewire stuff worked.

I posted my comments on CNET and for "Pros" I said "Looks pretty. Plays a mean game of Freecell." because that's all I was able to get out of it. Photoshop? Illustrator? Forget it.

PostPosted: 10/11/10 3:58 pm • # 3 
Administrator

Probably change from the 320 drive to
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Pro...kTab=true#scrollFullInfo

7 bucks promo = 57 bucks for a faster drive and 32 MB cache.

PostPosted: 10/11/10 3:59 pm • # 4 
I've got a 750 GB Seagate Barracuda running in my quad core. [img]/domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif[/img]

PostPosted: 10/11/10 4:12 pm • # 5 
Administrator

Sidartha wrote:
It all looks good - BUT - I'd put a hold on Win 7. I just stripped it off my new machine because to be honest, it's unreliable and unstable. I did a lot of research and found that regardless of hardware configuration, and even on machines that shipped with Win 7, it freezes randomly and the only way to get your system back is with a hard boot.... (not a swift kick with construction boots - shut down and fire it back up). Now... I did read at CNET that Microsoft will be having a huge download on Tuesday of this week and the hotfix for this problem might be included, but I've been bitten twice now with Win 7 so I'm going to wait until a couple service packs are out there before I go back to it.

Also... there is not a lot of driver support for Win 7 and just like Vista before it, manufacturers aren't in a rush to write driver software for older equipment so you can forget about hooking up any pre-vista printers, scanners, cameras etc. Even IEEE 1394 Firewire is iffy. I put a firewire card into my Win 7 machine and it wouldn't work because Microsoft upped the speed requirements from 400 Mhz to 800 Mhz. So eventhough Win 7 detected the card and installed the driver, none of my firewire stuff worked.

I posted my comments on CNET and for "Pros" I said "Looks pretty. Plays a mean game of Freecell." because that's all I was able to get out of it. Photoshop? Illustrator? Forget it.
I've got no choice. Can't transfer my vista license over to another machine. Microsoft will never go for broken MB, broken CPU, etc.
That's the bad side of getting OEM versions.
I'm not using any firewire at all and my printer is networked with my vista machine anyway.
I'm basically replacing my XP box with Abit motherboard and 939 socket Athlon x2 4200 with the new stuff.
Case goes in the dumpster. I'm just keeping the PSU (still good after all these years. The rest I'm gonna sell on Craigslist or ebay for a few bucks.
My DVD RW goes in the new one. Was one of the first Sata DVD writers. Image
The new box either will be my main machine including TV and the vista box I'll either use as a backup or network storage.
Maybe I'm gonna pretty it up by taking everything apart and powder coating the metal parts black. We'll see.

So you think the components are at least decent?

PostPosted: 10/11/10 4:15 pm • # 6 
Administrator

I read about the MS update tomorrow. On one of the forums the professional IT people are all nervous. Image

PostPosted: 10/11/10 4:23 pm • # 7 
Administrator

WD 640 Black it is.  I just hit the trigger. 

PostPosted: 10/11/10 4:29 pm • # 8 
The components are fine... I've had nothing but good experiences with AMD cores although my new boxes are Intel now. MSI motherboards were built to the same standards as Asus (at least what Asus used to be before the Chinese made them) - I don't know what they're like now. I haven't had one in a couple years. This one is a Gigabyte G41M-ES2L. I got it becaue it's all solid capacitors - so none of that corrosion bullshit. Jab... I don't know why you wouldn't stick with XP Pro SP3. It's solid as a rock and works with everything. No guessing.

PostPosted: 10/11/10 4:52 pm • # 9 
Administrator

I just have to have a win7 machine. How else can I learn the quirks so I can help folks with PC problems? Image

PostPosted: 10/12/10 1:53 am • # 10 
True... me personally... I'm not into self-flagelation.

PostPosted: 10/12/10 4:21 am • # 11 
Editorialist

I mentioned in chat the other night that I was getting a new hard drive for my current computer (should be here sometime this afternoon).  I'm wanted to install XP on it but after reading your comments, Jab, about trying to transfer Vista, I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same problem with getting XP installed on the new drive.  I still plan on getting a new computer but this is a stop gap measure until then. 

PostPosted: 10/12/10 4:56 am • # 12 
Administrator

Not that I'm enjoying the misadventures of Vista and Win7, but I'm starting to feel like a genius in refusing to give up XP Pro ~ Image ~ pic, do you have a full XP disc or the 'upgrade' XP disc? ~ I would think you should not have any problems if you have the full version ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 10/12/10 4:58 am • # 13 
Editorialist

Sooz, I have the disc that came with my computer so I'm assuming I have the full disc.  I will still have to download the service packs (I, II & III) though.

PostPosted: 10/12/10 5:55 am • # 14 
Go with XP if your machine originally shipped with it. I've done the complete installation up to SP3 along with all the latest fixes and security patches. The machine is as solid as a rock.

PostPosted: 10/12/10 6:04 am • # 15 
Editorialist

Thanks, Sid.

PostPosted: 10/12/10 8:11 am • # 16 
Administrator

laffinalltheway wrote:
Sooz, I have the disc that came with my computer so I'm assuming I have the full disc.  I will still have to download the service packs (I, II & III) though.
You're sure it's not just a recovery disk?

I got already the tracking numbers.....
Super dooper weekend coming up Image and I deserve it! Image
Ya'll remember when Sid mentioned his new video card? Since then I've probably read 10362 reviews and Newegg comments besides every possible computer related message board to make a good decision, and finally the end of it is near. Image

PostPosted: 10/12/10 10:34 am • # 17 
Editorialist

It has a registration key.  Plus a few other discs for the drivers, the printer, etc.  I hope it's the full disc.

PostPosted: 10/12/10 10:57 am • # 18 
If it has the registration key, then it's the full disc. The driver disc is for the motherboard (audio, video, network etc.)

PostPosted: 10/17/10 8:25 am • # 19 
Administrator

So far so good. Unlocked my X2 to a X4 with a simple "enable core unlocking" in the Bios.
I couldn't install anything until I realized that the DVD burner from my older machine wasn't recognized at all. Ripped it out and installed my other DVD burner, and there she goes.
I'm impressed with the start up speed. Barely 20 seconds from hitting the button to running the first program.
Overclocked it from 3200 to 3660 by turning a friggin dial on the motherboard.
Now it's time for wire management.

PostPosted: 10/17/10 10:37 am • # 20 
"Wire Management"?

Oh... are you referring to that spaghetti I have behind my computer rack? How do you manage that anyway?

PostPosted: 10/17/10 12:31 pm • # 21 
Administrator

Silly canuck! Who cares about the spaghetti BEHIND the computer!
I'm talking inside the case. I'm glad I don't need to take apart the 24-pin plugs for sleeving coz they are already sleeved, although I might go with the UV-Blue look and that will change everything.
Someone please get me back down to earth before I order a water-cooling kit! Image

PostPosted: 10/17/10 4:28 pm • # 22 
Why don't you do some case mods while you're at it?

PostPosted: 10/19/10 9:23 am • # 23 
Editorialist

Oh gawd, I'm old! ImageWill somebody please speak English? ImageImage

Fun to read, but I wish I knew what I was reading. Oh to be born just a *few* years later!! I'd be all over this "computerese". 
I should be glad I took typing in HS and got a computer in 2000 when I was near 50, roflmao!! Before that I had no clue, so I guess I've come a long way from a manual Olivetti to playing "Hearts" and "Solitaire" to learning how to operate the mouse before I ever got connected to the 'net.

PostPosted: 10/19/10 11:40 am • # 24 
Ask away... That's what we're here for. We teach geek.

Page 1 of 1   [ 24 posts ] New Topic Add Reply