It is currently 05/18/24 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/04/10 10:18 am • # 1 
Editorialist

i have not watched TV at home in 15 years.

however, it has recently come to my attention that if i could really select my viewing, there is some interesting stuff on.

my question to you is: is there an internet source for TV that is by subscriber and commercial free? OR
alternatively- is there a way i can download programming from specific stations or on specific subjects without having a passive viewing experience of waiting for them to provide me with content?

i know there must be.
sid has mentioned such things.
all comments welcome.

PostPosted: 12/04/10 11:17 am • # 2 
You won't get completely free of advertising as most of the providers depend on it to keep their service running. However, with that said, I go to [url=www.justin.tv]www.justin.tv[/url] for most of my TV/movie watching. I also go to Canada's major networks for up-to-date news and some TV series. In the US, there are several broadcasters (blocked in Canada) with the most notable being HULU. I think Netflix now has a subscription streaming service but it's been getting the shaft from Comcast so I'd look into it first before signing on.

Widescreen TV's can accept a computer input (DVI) and some computers have a TV output (HDMI) so hooking up a computer to a TV is a simple procedure. The issue would be the audio... most of the widescreen TVs have audio built in but they sound like a tin can so you will probably want to hook up your computer's audio to an HD receiver.

Also... there is Over The Air (OTA) HD TV as well: http://www.adstechnologies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=8  This is an peripheral that allows you to tune in to OTA broadcasts AND record them - virtually turning your computer into a PVR. 

Last edited by Sidartha on 12/04/10 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/04/10 11:45 am • # 3 
Editorialist

not too worried about audio.  it is kinda my area.  ;]

PostPosted: 12/04/10 12:07 pm • # 4 
I'm only warning you about the limits of the technology. I was seriously disappointed with the audio on my widescreen monitor. It sounded like one of those old Sony transistor radios from the 60's.

PostPosted: 12/04/10 2:23 pm • # 5 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
I'm only warning you about the limits of the technology. I was seriously disappointed with the audio on my widescreen monitor. It sounded like one of those old Sony transistor radios from the 60's.

yeah.  i am going to channel my audio through a breakout box and into my receiver.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ] New Topic Add Reply