It is currently 05/18/24 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
PostPosted: 12/19/10 6:07 pm • # 1 
Editorialist

Why am I seeing this � in some posts? Very strange. Like in Sid's post:

https://voicesorchoices.com/viewtopic.php?t=5859

And:

How can/do I add a font to my hotmail and can any be added here?  Who the hell wants to use "Helvetica"?ImageI used to love using Lucinda Handwriting. Image

Why the hell does my font change from my composition to the actual post?Image

PostPosted: 12/19/10 6:25 pm • # 2 
Administrator

Since I'm a 'whoever', I can answer the question about the small square ~ it has to do with the html coding when adding video clips ~ but I'm not sure why it happens ~ 

I can, and will, check with yuku support to see if more fonts can be added ~ the closest thing to lucinda is comic sans ~ and it's not really close at all ~ not sure why your font is changing from composition to posting ~ I'll ask about that too ~

Sooz

PostPosted: 12/20/10 2:53 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Thanks sooz. As a "Whoever" do you live in "Whoville"? Image  Sorry, blame the season.Image

PostPosted: 12/20/10 7:46 am • # 4 
Editorialist

The change in fonts may have to do with the browser you're using.  IE may show things differently than Firefox (my favorite browser).

PostPosted: 12/20/10 7:49 am • # 5 
Internet Explorer sees extra spaces as unrecognized special characters and generates the square as a replacement. If extra space is required, IE wants it coded as in " " which is character code for "no-break space".  It will also do it if you copy/paste text from a Word doc that contains elongated hyphens or "smart quotes".

The "What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get" editor is not quite accurate.  Each one of the permitted controls in the tool bar is actually an image file linked to a javascript that carries out the function (write the appropriate code).  However, the pages you're posts appear in are governed by a stylesheet that takes precident over the HTML that was generated by the javascript.  Unless you specify the actual font you want to use, then the tag  will probably have a style attribute attached to it in the site's stylesheet.  So... you're limited by the fonts recognized in the editor as they are the ones that are installed on the Yuku server.  If you want to use a font you have on your hard drive, some people will not be able to see it if they don't have the exact same font installed on their system.  As an example... if I specify "Arial" and nothing else, you would get the default system san-serif font if don't have arial installed.  If I specify "Arial, Helvetica, San-Serif" then you would get Helvetica if you don't have Arial and the default system San-Serif if you have none of the others installed.

Last edited by Sidartha on 12/20/10 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 12/20/10 11:23 am • # 6 
Editorialist

LOL Sid, that's as clear as mud.Image  I use firefox at home, IE at work and I don't remember where I was when I posted that......I think work. I was messing around with the fonts, so that is probably why it's so screwy. I just don't know why the entire post didn't change. Oh well, nothing major, I was just wondering.

Now, where is a good place to d/l fonts that are free? Years ago I did that and I used Lucinda Handwriting in my hotmail. Don't remember how I did that, lol. Maybe it was a choice for hotmail at one time. IDK

PostPosted: 12/20/10 12:29 pm • # 7 
http://www.1001freefonts.com/

PostPosted: 12/20/10 3:20 pm • # 8 
Editorialist

Thank you kindly, sir. 

PostPosted: 12/20/10 3:27 pm • # 9 
No problem.... what I was trying to say earlier: The "Reply" box is supposed to be "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG) but it has limitations. The other area of limitations is with fonts. If I specify "Papyrus" as my font for text and you don't have it installed on your computer - I'll see the Papyrus font but you won't. The browser (any browser) will revert to it's preset default to replace the font it can't "see".

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply