It is currently 05/24/24 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Video capture program
PostPosted: 03/25/11 10:27 am • # 1 
Editorialist

Does anyone use a video capture program? I would LOVE to be able to save my video chats with my grands. I use MSN Messenger for my chat. Don't know if the programs will work with it. If not, I would be willing to use another program, such as Skype for chats......whatever works.

PostPosted: 07/21/11 3:24 pm • # 2 
It just occurred to me... if you're running XP, Windows Movie Maker should be able to capture from your Web Cam. It ships with XP SP3 - I know that for certain.

PostPosted: 07/22/11 7:35 am • # 3 
Editorialist

Sidartha wrote:
It just occurred to me... if you're running XP, Windows Movie Maker should be able to capture from your Web Cam. It ships with XP SP3 - I know that for certain.

Thanks Sid. I am running Vista. Image

PostPosted: 07/23/11 12:25 am • # 4 
Didn't Movie Maker ship with Vista? If not, you can download it free from the Microsoft site.

PostPosted: 07/23/11 3:37 am • # 5 
Editorialist

Yeah, I have it lol. Don't know how to use it. I did find that I can import from my Web Cam folder. Trouble is, I don't know how to save sessions to my folder. Sigh. I am so tech retarded. I'm sure I could learn, but right now is not the time. I'll play with it during the winter. LOL, our wedding video from 7 years ago is still on the camera. Image Sheesh, I really need to keep up, don't I? I've never burned a DVD even. Image

PostPosted: 07/23/11 3:23 pm • # 6 
Well... I can walk you through it. You may have to look at some computer upgrades though because playing video takes far less of the computer's resources than processing video does - by far...

Personally, I've built a combination of systems that work together to process any video from one format to another. Even from the old composite, analog sources - cable TV, VCR or Hi8 8mm tape. I'm not suggesting you'll need to go that far but you may need a 1394 IEEE Firewire PCI input card to your computer (if your camcorder is a Mini DV camera). These cards can still be had in electronic store bargain bins and they do work nice. You'll have to let me know what your camera is first before I can steer you in that direction (post the Make and Model). If you don't need the Firewire card then you may need an "analog to USB converter box" that accepts the old RCA Composite inputs - converts the video internally - then saves it to the hard drive. Both options are reasonably cheap but I can tell you right now, either one or both will fail to function at all in Vista. Then the point becomes moot - you're "S O L" - you'll have to find someone like me who plays with this stuff. I tried both in Win 7 and had nothing but trouble... it's why I went back to XP.

Video processing is complicated because there are a gazzilion formats and just as many players/converters that you may need on your computer - the trick becomes orchestrating all those hardware/software combinations to ensure success in getting your video on to a TV screen (wide screen or "standard definition"). The good thing is that there are a lot of free tools that definitely aid in getting from Point A to Point B - even Windows Movie Maker. You can capture your web cam "live" with it... but it's only going to give you what your camera sees - you. So... when you install a web cam, it should come with software for you to customize the settings. I'm sure the web cam software has a setting that allows you to "capture" live incoming streaming from the connected party. Look there first.

Let me know if that's any help...

PostPosted: 07/23/11 4:55 pm • # 7 
Editorialist

All I can tell you about the camera right now is that we could "plug" it directly into our old 27" CRT TV  and watch it. lol  I'll have to dig it out of the closet and get the make/model number.

edited to add: Even better, I could lug it into the nearest camera shop and let them burn it for me! Yea! Problem solved. I still need to haul my picture floppy disks in to be put on CD. Image Sigh, I keep forgetting.

Last edited by roseanne on 07/23/11 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 07/24/11 1:13 am • # 8 
Looks like your old camcorder is really "old"... analog. If there is someone who can burn it all to disc - go for it. You be in a whole heap of hurtin' if you tried to do it yourself. Too bad you aren't my neighbour - I could do it for you.

Floppies? What are they?

PostPosted: 07/24/11 9:17 am • # 9 
Editorialist

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply