It is currently 05/14/24 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Biggest scam ever
PostPosted: 05/30/11 2:18 am • # 1 
Administrator

One of my flat panel monitors started to go black. Hitting a few times the on/off button brought it back to life until about a week ago when it went blank for good.
Not a problem. Monitor still within warranty.
Phone call to manufacturer, describe problem, get RMA and wait a while to get a replacement.
Oh no, the voice on the phone said. It's the backlight, no warranty for that.
Ship the monitor for around 30 bucks and we will replace the backlight for 80 bucks.
Hmmm, monitor cost 159 bucks on sale and I'm not that stupid.
You sure it can only be the backlight?
Absolutely!
Bye.
Cut the "warranty" label, open up the monitor and there they are 5 bulging and leaking capacitors.
Back on the phone, cussing and trying to grab the reps/technician throat through my cell phone.
Oh well, what a fuck up.
Go online, order the most expensive capacitors for a grand total of US$ 3.11 plus 5 bucks shipping and handling.
Last night pull out my shitty solder gun, pull the bad caps and solder in the replacements.
Put it all back and hook the monitor up, and voila! Monitor works flawless.

A few years ago I fixed my big screen TV with caps for around 6 bucks, and another monitor for about the same.

The way I see it those manufacturers use inferior caps on purpose. They are counting on caps blowing within a few years and if you're out of warranty nobody even thinks about replacing a few caps. Instead, a repair shop would order a complete board for at least 100 bucks including labor.
A win-win situation for everyone except the consumer.
The manufacturer saves by using inferior caps perhaps 50 cents and gets to sell another monitor a few years down the road sine a repair is not "feasible".

Post subject: Biggest scam ever
PostPosted: 05/30/11 10:51 am • # 2 
It's the "throw away" society Jab... they don't expect (nor want) anyone being resourceful enough to fix it themselves.

Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ] New Topic Add Reply